Free mobile voice, text and data plans coming to UK ( Freedompop )

Options

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    3 themselves use data to transfer voice calls (which is how they are able to offer calls from supported Countries at the same cost as if it were within the UK).

3 also have a direct 'calls over WiFi' app (same as the app EE offer for the iPhone). Having tried it (by accident after forgetting to turn off WiFi), I can say that the call quality is equal to what you get from standard non-WiFi calls (which being on '3' are crystal clear).
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to use Skype for my 0800 calls on mobile, I always found them to be of good enough quality. If this system is as good as UK calls on Skype it will be fine.
    ====
  • itwiz
    itwiz Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    sdduk wrote: »
    Another thing is your data protection Freepop will be giving it to other companies so you may get loads of junk mail and spam.:mad:

Fair point. I don't know many companies that now don't collect your data, but FreedomPop's portal offers the ability to opt-out of email:
    • Friend Requests
    • Special Promotions
    • Service Notifications
    • Third-Party Offers
    Happy to report back how much spam is received if anyone is particularly interested.

Cheers.
  • Frostbite
    Frostbite Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2015 at 10:47AM
    Options
    I noticed a monthly charge in the small print, this has put me off giving it a go (even with the extras removed from the tick boxes).

"By clicking Activate, you agree to pay the amount Due Today. Your FreedomPop service will not begin until your device ships. Your subscription includes a 30-day free service trial. At the conclusion of your free trial, your service will automatically renew at the rate provided. You also authorize FreedomPop to charge £10.48 every month for continued service. Cancel or downgrade at any time.
    No hidden extras, all prices include VAT."

d1a384e.jpg

LINK: http://i.imgsafe.org/d1a384e.jpg
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It looks like that's the monthly charge UNLESS you deselect the 'first month free' options.

Click on 'show details' and an untick box should appear. Ditto DON'T tick the 'free' options unless you want them and are willing to pay monthly. The £10.48 reference should disappear.

FWIW I signed up and authorised the one off £6.99 payment.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Info on international calls is limited. They have 3 international monthly packages; some countries include landline and mobile numbers (e.g. USA), others are landline only (e.g. Switzerland).

I'd be interested in the costs for calls to Switzerland. No info on the website, so I have asked.

Also, no info on roaming rates.
  • itwiz
    Options
    Frostbite wrote: »
    I noticed a monthly charge in the small print, this has put me off giving it a go (even with the extras removed from the tick boxes).

That's because you didn't select the "Basic 200" option on one of the earlier screens. I had confirmation that I will be charged £0.00 monthly.
  • asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Options
    When I go to check availability it ask me to try another email address. :( Don't know why as it's the standard email I use for comps etc that filters into another inbox. :o Any ideas?
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May I ask how you heard about this?

They've been saving people's email addresses for months, promising to update people with news, and don't seem to have sent anything to me.
  • itwiz
    Options
    asset2004 wrote: »
    When I go to check availability it ask me to try another email address. :( Don't know why as it's the standard email I use for comps etc that filters into another inbox. :o Any ideas?

Sorry, none other than creating a new email address. I have a few addresses and one of them wasn't accepted but the others were fine. I don't know if they have some kind of blacklist or what.

redux wrote: »
    May I ask how you heard about this?

They've been saving people's email addresses for months, promising to update people with news, and don't seem to have sent anything to me.

I first heard about it a few months ago when it was a common news topic. I've just been regularly visiting the site every few weeks and got lucky that I saw on their forum yesterday that sign-ups had started to be accepted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure