Do I tell Student Loans the money I receive yearly from family business?

Options
dinkk
dinkk Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 20 October 2017 at 9:39PM in Student MoneySaving
Once a year I receive a lump sum of money from a family business. I'm obviously not employed by my family so do I have to tell Student Loans that I receive this money? I'm still under the threshold for repaying them any money even with this lump sum but when I forgot to update them on my current employment a few months ago they threatened to fine me (rude).

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    is the lump sum dividends????

If it doesn't appear on your tax return, they can't touch you. However Tax Evasion on the other hand only you will know where you stand.

Forgetting to update your employment is your responsibility, you have a debt to pay and you can't forget to pay it.

If it was your bank, you already would have had late charges and fees already. The taxpayer is already subsidising your student loan, don't be morally challenged and worm your way out of it.

Do the right thing, pay taxes and debt like everyone else
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the money is a gift from a family member’s bank account I wouldn’t regard it as income personally.
  • dinkk
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    is the lump sum dividends????

If it doesn't appear on your tax return, they can't touch you. However Tax Evasion on the other hand only you will know where you stand.

Forgetting to update your employment is your responsibility, you have a debt to pay and you can't forget to pay it.

If it was your bank, you already would have had late charges and fees already. The taxpayer is already subsidising your student loan, don't be morally challenged and worm your way out of it.

Do the right thing, pay taxes and debt like everyone else

Seeing as I'm below the threshold to repay, I'm not trying to 'worm my way' out of anything so there's no need for you to make rude assumptions. Previously, they sent a form to ask my status and I wrongly assumed that's how they wanted confirmation but seeing as they get their info from HMRC anyway it's not like I wouldn't repay them. They're just trying to find a way to get more money from me so I don't appreciate you trying to give me a lecture that I really didn't need or ask for, thanks.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dinkk wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm below the threshold to repay, I'm not trying to 'worm my way' out of anything so there's no need for you to make rude assumptions. Previously, they sent a form to ask my status and I wrongly assumed that's how they wanted confirmation but seeing as they get their info from HMRC anyway it's not like I wouldn't repay them. They're just trying to find a way to get more some money from me so I don't appreciate you trying to give me a lecture that I really didn't need or ask for, thanks.

Why didnt you just contact them in the first instance?
    you have no problem paying them so it either counts or doesnt.
    no harm informing them either way,it there?
  • dinkk
    dinkk Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 October 2017 at 11:32AM
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Why didnt you just contact them in the first instance?
    you have no problem paying them so it either counts or doesnt.
    no harm informing them either way,it there?
    Because to be perfectly honest, my first thought when I got a job wasn't 'I must inform student finance I have this temporary job'.. I was more anxious and concerned with doing a good job. It just honestly didn't even cross my mind. I wasn't trying to evade or withhold any information.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2017 at 6:17PM
    Options
    dinkk wrote: »
    Because to be perfectly honest, my first thought when I got a job wasn't 'I must inform student finance I have this temporary job'.. I was more anxious and concerned with doing a good job. It just honestly didn't even cross my mind. I wasn't trying to evade or withhold any information.

Ignorance is not an excuse, you pay your dues and that will what it will be in a court of law. You knew you had a job and you knew you had student loan.

In any case Your choice the way you want to live, forget about debt at your peril as they will pursue you and getting a CCJ will not be something you want on your mind or credit report, that is the harsh reality, not rose tinted
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Ayla_093
    Options
    Hi dink,

Sorry I don’t know the answer to your question but I’d phone and ask them. They are (despite your recent experience) really helpful and not looking to take money they shouldn’t.
    In fact I tend to find it very hard to get them to take money.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the payment is treated as an expense in the business accounts then it is income or dividend and should be reported to HMRC and student loan company

If it is a gift from someone's share of the profit which has already been treated as their income and taxed
    accordingly then it is not income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport