I'm new to air con. General advice?

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
OK, I've just been dragged into the 21st Century, having bought a 2014 car with electric everything and air con, not to mention climate control! So I'm going to be asking some basic questions.

For a start, air con (AC). My handbook says to 'run' the AC at least once a week during cold weather. 'Run for at least 10 minutes with the engine at normal operating temperature'. This 'circulates the oil contained in the refrigerant'.

When it says 'run', does this mean not just switched on but with the temperature turned down sufficient to make it actually operate? Or does just turning it on pump the refrigerant around?

Thanks.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If it has climate press the auto button and the car will use aircon when needed. Alternatively switch the aircon on and leave the button alone. Alter the temperature as you would normally.

Aircon is just as useful for demisting in winter as it is for cooling in summer.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    If it has climate press the auto button and the car will use aircon when needed. Alternatively switch the aircon on and leave the button alone. Alter the temperature as you would normally.

Aircon is just as useful for demisting in winter as it is for cooling in summer.

I agree - I never switch the Climate Control off. :D
  • JohnB47
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »

Thanks, but that's not really getting to the nub of my question. If it's winter (say, 9 degrees outside) and I switch the AC on and select a temp of 20 degrees, the AC won't activate - the heater will.

So what I'm asking is, does this count as 'running' the AC? Or would I have to switch AC on and select 'Lo' as a temperature - and suffer a cold interior for 10 minutes?
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    +1 Just leave it on at your desired temperature.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Thanks, but that's not really getting to the nub of my question. If it's winter (say, 9 degrees outside) and I switch the AC on and select a temp of 20 degrees, the AC won't activate - the heater will.

So what I'm asking is, does this count as 'running' the AC? Or would I have to switch AC on and select 'Lo' as a temperature - and suffer a cold interior for 10 minutes?

It’s a common misconception that air conditioning is just for blowing cold air. Having the air con on while the temperature is up will bring warm but more importantly dry air into the cabin therefore making de-misting much quicker in the winter. As everyone has said, leave the climate control on permanently and leave the car to sort itself once you’ve selected the temperature. The posters above were telling you that because they know how it works, not to avoid your question.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »

Yes that would count as running the AC/Climate Control.

But that would only be necessary if you turn the AC off - which we are all advising you not to do.

Once they have seen the benefits most folks leave it on all the time.

The clue is in the name Air Conditioning - it's not just Air Cooling.

If you select AC at 20degrees with the outside temperature at 9 degrees the AC will be working - the air you get will be at 20degrees after the AC has dried it. That is why you may see water (condensate) dripping from the undersides of the car.

Leave it on at all times and you have dry air in the car at whatever temperature you have selected.

What car is this anyway?
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As this is MSE remember that having the aircon on will use slightly more fuel.
    Personally I leave it off almost all the time, just using it for de-misting and when it is really hot.
    I find stepping out of an air conditioned car on a hot muggy day uncomfortable and I am sure I get less colds than friends who have it on all the time.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Always smile when I see a sprog bus with the windows misted up driving past, just turn the climate on and enjoy a safer pleasant journey.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    just select temp and leave it on all year round....mine stays on low setting most of the year but turned up a notch during summer
    makes no difference whatsoever on MPG
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Yes that would count as running the AC/Climate Control.

But that would only be necessary if you turn the AC off - which we are all advising you not to do.

Once they have seen the benefits most folks leave it on all the time.

The clue is in the name Air Conditioning - it's not just Air Cooling.

If you select AC at 20degrees with the outside temperature at 9 degrees the AC will be working - the air you get will be at 20degrees after the AC has dried it. That is why you may see water (condensate) dripping from the undersides of the car.

Leave it on at all times and you have dry air in the car at whatever temperature you have selected.

What car is this anyway?

Cheers.

Its a Honda Jazz. I switched from Toyota cos they'd changed the body shape and a couple of dealers just didn't get back to me. Curious. You'd think that if you show the slightest interest and give them your contact details that'd be all over you, but no.

This is all very interesting. I thought AC was simply air cooling. But you're saying that, even if I turn it on and have the heater working, the AC is still working? I can't get my head around that.

I'm not doubting you but I need to do more investigating of this -
    just for interest sake.

So using AC doesn't use that much fuel then?

Thanks to all others for their replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport