Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Comments

• Hello
    I am not British but I have been in the UK for 2 years did my MSc study then I am now working for 2 moths as a doctor with full time employment. I have a credit card for the last 2 years and a store card for 6 months. Now I had applied for car loan and I had failed. I had contacted the finance company the representative said If I am not on the electoral roll I will never get a loan. is there any thing I can do? I got credit score through equifax it shows very poor as the only problem is that I am not registered.
    Any Suggestion?

Thanks
  • whats your earning / outgoings. How much are you wanting to borrow. how much credit have you already got on your cc?
    Beneficial Finance £6500 - Cleared July 2010 - Ulsterbank Loan £1500 - Cleared August 2010. Ulsterbank CreditCards £2500 - Cleared July 2011. Barclaycard Credit card £2200 - Cleared July 2011.
    Halifax Credit Card £1500 Cleared July 2011.
    :rotfl: good times are "finally" here :rotfl:
  • dannya1978
    dannya1978 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A quick question from a newbie, I don't believe I am on the electoral roll and don't think I have been since my divorce about 3 years ago, does anyone have a concrete answer as to whether or not this will go against me on my credit rating now I am applying for a mortgage?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • heleddie
    heleddie Posts: 10 Forumite
    dannya1978 wrote: »
    A quick question from a newbie, I don't believe I am on the electoral roll and don't think I have been since my divorce about 3 years ago, does anyone have a concrete answer as to whether or not this will go against me on my credit rating now I am applying for a mortgage?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it will. Phone up the council and get yourself registered to vote asap. It takes minutes. I'd also flag it up with the mortgage company before they do a credit search and find it out for themselves - far better to come from you with a context and your assurance that you're putting it right.
  • BigSpider
    BigSpider Posts: 11 Forumite
    I had a stalker for many years who would use things like the electoral roll to find me as well as having 'mates' who worked within the DVLA and places that keep records, so I've kept myself hidden. However I will need to apply for credit in the future and am wondering what the 'opting out' may entail and who would have my info then. Does anyone know? Thanks :)
  • samwsmith1
    samwsmith1 Posts: 922 Forumite
    BigSpider wrote: »
    I had a stalker for many years who would use things like the electoral roll to find me as well as having 'mates' who worked within the DVLA and places that keep records, so I've kept myself hidden. However I will need to apply for credit in the future and am wondering what the 'opting out' may entail and who would have my info then. Does anyone know? Thanks :)
    As far as I'm aware opting out means that they can't sell your details on the edited register to other companies.
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/faq/registering_to_vote/ni_what_is_the_difference_betw.aspx
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That's right.

When you sign up to vote you have the option to Opt-Out of the Edited Register.

If you opt out, no member of public can search your details. Period.

It is also illegal to purposesfully not register to vote.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    izools wrote: »
    That's right.

When you sign up to vote you have the option to Opt-Out of the Edited Register.

If you opt out, no member of public can search your details. Period. - technically not quite right

It is also illegal to purposesfully not register to vote.

If you opt out your details are not included in the edited register which is sold commercially for various purposes. You will still appear on the full register which is provided to credit reference agencies and anyone who is entitled to receive a copy for electoral purposes.

It is possible for a member of the public to ask to inspect the full register and they could see your details on that register but they cannot "search" for you - they would need to know what section of the register to ask to see - it is divided into electoral wards. Someone could however ask for the register ward by ward and search for you but an electoral office should be wary of requests like this and ensure they are not being done for anything other than "electoral purposes"
    John
  • kateyleah
    kateyleah Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi my situation is slightly different. I was on the electoral role at my previous address and voted a number of times. I registered my new address and I have voted there too, however my credit check is showing that I have not be registered at either address.

What can I do to change this as it's affecting my credit report.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    If you are certain that you are on the electoral register with your council then contact the credit reference agency and ask them to check and correct. Its not unheard of for them to make a mistake, though usually you will find that the other 2 credit reference agencies have you shown correctly.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family