Tax issue exporting to Spain

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Can you get an EORI number if you aren't VAT registered though? And isn't EORI number for non EU transactions? (goes on my custom invoice when sending items outside EU)
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can you get an EORI number if you aren't VAT registered though? And isn't EORI number for non EU transactions? (goes on my custom invoice when sending items outside EU)

I only needed and got an EORI number when a partner and I split a partnership into two separate businesses non-registered businesses below the VAT threshold. I was prompted to get an EORI by a company handling our customs clearance of a shipment we were receiving from China. They insisted on this when they heard I was not VAT registered.

With the VAT registered partnership we used our UK VAT number when importing or exporting outside the EU.

I thought EORI was only needed if you didn't have a VAT number.

It will be interesting to see if the OP comes back with the result of his problem and if someone can give a definitive explanation of what an EORI is for.
  • Carer
    Carer Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Still ongoing. Client said they would be happy with EORI number and insist it's needed for Spanish treasury.
    However HMRC have now declined to issue us one saying we only need it if we import/export outside the EU.

Getting totally fed up with all this now and considering going VAT registered but the wait for a vat number is several weeks/months and it will mean 20% price increases in our main online business which sells to individuals.

Hard to explain without giving away too much info but this order from Spain will be a huge boost to our standing in our industry as we will be named as their supplier so we can't just turn it down.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am not registered for VAT because most of my work comes from individuals and I have very little VAT to claim back as I provide a service, but I have found that being not VAT registered definitely sends out the message of "small".
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe the thing to do is to ask again for an EORI number as you are going to be importing from China (whether you are or not). Hopefully your previous phone call will not cloud the issue.

The EORI can then be provided to your buyer who by the sounds of it are misguided thinking they need this but will be happy once you've sent it to them.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Carer wrote: »
    Still ongoing. Client said they would be happy with EORI number and insist it's needed for Spanish treasury.
    However HMRC have now declined to issue us one saying we only need it if we import/export outside the EU.

Getting totally fed up with all this now and considering going VAT registered but the wait for a vat number is several weeks/months and it will mean 20% price increases in our main online business which sells to individuals.

Hard to explain without giving away too much info but this order from Spain will be a huge boost to our standing in our industry as we will be named as their supplier so we can't just turn it down.

It does indeed sound as though your customer still does not understand that you are not currently vat registered.

In Spain, vat is known as iva (Impuesto sobre el Valor Anadidio)

Try explaining it to them again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport