Help with heating costs?

I have MS and need my room temperature to be around 24c to stop my hans, feet etc from going white and cold as ice. At the moment I'm using a calor gaz heater to heat the living room to a decent temperature even if the rest of the house is freezing.

Does anyone know of any help with heating costs for the disabled as there are for pensioners?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    have you spoken to CAB or Social Services, you shouldnt have to put with that, are you claiming DLA, attendance allowance etc
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    If you're claiming DLA and/or IB, surely this is to cover the extra expenses such as these?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you're claiming DLA and/or IB, surely this is to cover the extra expenses such as these?
    it hasn't been established what the OP is claiming yet
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    it hasn't been established what the OP is claiming yet

I know; that's why I said IF!
  • I believe all the fuel providers have Special Care Rates. Some depend on income received, and others on health needs. It would be worth a phone call, to explain your situation, and to find out if you qualify. Good Luck!

Sandra Scarlett
  • I have MS and need my room temperature to be around 24c to stop my hans, feet etc from going white and cold as ice. At the moment I'm using a calor gaz heater to heat the living room to a decent temperature even if the rest of the house is freezing.

Does anyone know of any help with heating costs for the disabled as there are for pensioners?

All the major suppliers have Social Tariffs now. EDF and Atlantic (part of Southern) work out your total gas & electric costs for the coming year based on your previous years consumption. They take details of all your income, benefits etc, if your total fuel costs are more than 10% of your total income then they will agree to put you on their social tariff. This tariff gives you a 20% discount off whatever tariff you have signed up for. Use a comparison website, sign up for the cheapest then join the Social Tariff. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that there was a social tariff. I shall have a look at my provider and see what they offer.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Please be aware that British Gas 'social tariff' (Essentials) is only cheaper than their standard tariff, but it is not cheaper than the on-line click energy 6 (althoug it is cheaper than click energy 5). Confused? You will be! When I tried to find out about Essentials, I was told by customer service team, and by the essentials team themselves, that Essentials does not have a tariff as such, just a discounted rate, so they cannot give info on tariff prices! I also understand that BG are no longer calling Essentials a 'social tariff' because it does not meet the Govt's requirement on being the cheapest of ALL tariffs available.

I understand some of the other providers have much more transparent social energy tariffs - a friend with Southern electric got 20% discount as she is on IS & DLA.

Good luck, and do let us know how you go on x

edit: search for 'essentials' on MSE for more information, if you are with BG
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • hi louise i also have m.s and suffer the same way as you from the cold.as i,m sat here my right foot is that cold it feels as though it is going to drop off.it does'nt help putting more layers on.my husband is on incapacity benefit and with all the rising costs of fuel we dare'nt put the heating on.we have a pre payment meter for the electric so for extra warmth we use a halogen heater.i.ve visited the C A B on a couple of occasions and to be honest i did,nt find them very helpful.(maybe just me).i hope there is some help somewhere for people with M S and other illnesses that the cold affects them. travistowers;) :cry:
  • :confused:I have been on the phone all morning trying to get help with this very issue.Scottish power /manweb only have a reduced tariff for people over 60 and so I have logged a complaint.I think consumers with a disability under 60 or those with children with a disability were they need to be kept warm all year round need to start lobbying MP'S ,form a pressure group etc.
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport