Brother problems

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ames wrote: »
    It's also possible that Aaron has an unrealistic idea of his abilities and perhaps doesn't understand the PIP rules. Someone with autism could easily read the descriptors literally and not understand the nuances.

In my first post I said I didn't know about Aaron's circumstances from other threads. If he is autistic (obviously fairly high functioning from his written language and the fact that he holds down a job) then it could explain why he's just handed over his bank details and employment history without an explanation just because he was asked for them. It also might explain why he seems to accept what's happened in a fairly matter of fact way. He does however have a perception beyond the literal in that he can see that his mother and brother could be acting fraudulently. I know very little about the benefit system but it seems that as he was aware of 'alarm bells' with the car purchase and posted on here for advice that he could manage his own affairs especially if he had a RL adviser such as a Social Worker.
    Ames wrote: »
    Either way though, his mum helping his brother in the fraudulent guarantor attempt suggests she shouldn't have so much control over his finances.

I agree.
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The OP's Mum is his appointee for his PIP.

Before he can do anything about changing where his benefits are going, he would have to get DWP to change that.

That was why I added the second part of that point - if his mum refuses, he needs re-assessing.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Top_Girl wrote: »
    That was why I added the second part of that point - if his mum refuses, he needs re-assessing.
    Having not been through the appointee process then relinquishing it because someone's mental or physical abilities had improved, I don't really know how it works.

I do know that DWP had a face-to-face meeting with me and my Dad (who was in a care home with dementia) to ascertain my credentials and to confirm that my Dad was indeed incapable of managing his own affairs before making me appointee.
    So I don't really think it would be up to Aaron's Mum to refuse.
    I may be wrong on this but I'd expect DWP to meet with Aaron to assess if he was capable of managing his own affairs.
    And as he was receiving his JSA himself, then that says to me that he probably is capable of managing his own affairs.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Having not been through the appointee process then relinquishing it because someone's mental or physical abilities had improved, I don't really know how it works.

I do know that DWP had a face-to-face meeting with me and my Dad (who was in a care home with dementia) to ascertain my credentials and to confirm that my Dad was indeed incapable of managing his own affairs before making me appointee.
    So I don't really think it would be up to Aaron's Mum to refuse.
    I may be wrong on this but I'd expect DWP to meet with Aaron to assess if he was capable of managing his own affairs.
    And as he was receiving his JSA himself, then that says to me that he probably is capable of managing his own affairs.
    That's interesting because, as I said I know little about how the benefit system works.

What would happen if Aaron didn't have (or didn't want as he doesn't trust her financially) a family member to be his appointee? Would someone neutral be allocated?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    That's interesting because, as I said I know little about how the benefit system works.

What would happen if Aaron didn't have (or didn't want as he doesn't trust her financially) a family member to be his appointee? Would someone neutral be allocated?

You can have a corporate appointee, someone from social services or a charity. There can be a charge for this.

Pollycat, you're correct, if Aaron's mum disagrees with his decision to manage his own affairs the DWP would independently assess his capacity.

I imagine Aaron is quite worried about the implications of raising this issue, especially given that his mother may still be claiming CA for him, despite not providing him with 35 hours care. Earlier suggestions of getting some outside support are good, Aaron needs help in dealing with any fallout after he takes steps to help himself.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    [QUOTE=Ames;73103580]He can't do that while his mum is his appointee for benefits. The DWP aren't even supposed to talk to him about his claim without her knowledge. He needs to change that before he can change the bank account for benefits because as far as the DWP are concerned he's not capable of managing his financial affairs.[/QUOTE]
    But he could do it for his earnings. He said he works over 16 hours a week and doesn't get JSA.
  • Hi

"Is it okay to put you down as a family member?"

I don't want to ask him why he needs all those details without wanting a second opinion first.

Don't be afraid of your brother. Ask him why he needs all this information and for goodness sake be careful if you are guaranteeing a car. You may wish to read my post to see where this sort of thing can lead.
  • But armed with that info I could apply for a credit card in your name, intercept the card/pin & rack up debts for you

And as he's your brother he knows your other personal information such as your date of birth, address etc.

I think you should open a new account and close the old one. And make sure you don't give the details of the new account out.

While you could delete direct debits you don't recognise, the companies that are setting them up are thinking that they have your approval. They probably think they are dealing with you. So they could / would come after you for the money when their direct debits go unpaid because you've deleted them. This in turn could lead to court judgements and a trashing of your credit rating.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 9:07PM
    Hi all

Thank you for all your comments, and apologies regarding the lack of replies.

One suggestion that stood out to me most is the close my account and switch banks. As much as I appreciate that, I shouldn't have to since only moving to Natonwide last month, and cannot fault them.

Furthermore, I now feel safe in the knowledge to realise that my brother won't tamper with my financial details. We won't people's mindset even if they did.

I also have discussed my autism, and one of you has described me as "high functioning" based on the way I write posts, and to be honest, I agree. I think I have grown out of the autistic spectrum. Although as Ames says, sometimes I have an unrealistic idea of how life is like in myself.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all

Thank you for all your comments, and apologies regarding the lack of replies.

One suggestion that stood out to me most is the close my account and switch banks. As much as I appreciate that, I shouldn't have to since only moving to Natonwide last month, and cannot fault them.

Furthermore, I now feel safe in the knowledge to realise that my brother won't tamper with my financial details. We won't people's mindset even if they did.

I also have discussed my autism, and one of you has described me as "high functioning" based on the way I write posts, and to be honest, I agree. I think I have grown out of the autistic spectrum. Although as Ames says, sometimes I have an unrealistic idea of how life is like in myself.

You don't need to switch banks - just explain to the bank that your account details have been compromised and ask them to open a new one for you. You also need to keep an eye on your credit report to check for anything unusual.

Believe me, its easy to obtain credit in someone else's name if you have the right information - which your brother now has. I've applied for credit cards for my husband online - easypeasy as I know all the information they require - just like your brother - the difference being that I did so at my husbands behest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure