PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Need to catch up on this thread and the updates. Congrats to those who've made progress!

The survey flagged up a few issues, but after my having a bit of a freak out on Friday, we've spent the weekend doing research and its all relatively minor things, and all fixable and affordable.
    Our valuation came back a little under what we'd offered, meaning it would be a bit of a stretch to afford it with the new mortgage offer, but OH called the estate agent and explained the situation. We sent him the survey and the sellers have agreed to drop the price to match the valuation, which is better than we'd expected. We'd offered to split the difference down the middle!

I've been trying to get hold of our solicitor to pay for the searches but she isn't replying to e-mails and she wont answer her phone. It's really frustrating. You'd think they would want to take my money! Starting to regret my choice of solicitor - if she's like this for the whole process its going to take months.

I think my hopes for a quick process are fast disappearing.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's all gone very quiet with my sale, I was expecting someone to contact me about exchange dates. Who normally does this? As far as I know all the surveys have neen done and searches requested. The contract has been reviewed and questions responded to. No one in the chain needs a mortgage.
  • Exchanged today after 18 weeks and we get the keys next Wednesday.

So excited by it all and now it's back to work for the rest of this week!
  • If I may? In Scotland

6th September. Put property up for sale
    7th September. First viewer
    8th September. Offer received and accepted
    11th September. Solicitor hired?

From here nothing much happened and I then got a letter from solicitor stating that they had sent a qualified acceptance and had no reply from other sides solicitor, I contacted him and asked what to do and they said I should contact the estate agent to find out what was going on this was 13th of October, they got back to me saying the buyer was having a mortgage problem, I was quite annoyed as they never let on that there was a problem and I was in the process of buying a new house, so I spoke to the estate agents and they suggested that we put my property back on the market on the 16th of October as I have a move in date on my new place of 17th November and the buyers weren't answering calls etc, so this week I have had some viewers out and had 2 yesterday that said they are going to make an offer. Now I get a letter from my solicitor saying that the original buyer is waiting on an offer of a mortgage by the end of this week and is still in the running.

So what do i do here? Take offers from others and wait for the original buyer or just accept another offer. Confused about it all

Thanks
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Gawd, our date of 10th has changed already as someone at the top of the chain can't do it.

Looks like it'll be the following week which is prob better for us as got more time to get organised.

Well done dpearson! :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,708 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Congratulations RackAttack and dpearson! :j

Just had a surprise phone call from our own estate agents just asking for an update. Not heard from them since early September, but it seems our buyers (and presumably their buyers) are all sorted and ready to start talking dates :j

Now if only we had our !!!!in mortgage agreed! :eek: They said they'd get back to us today... :eek: SO nervous :o :eek: :o
  • Sounds like there’s a few of you that are really close to the end, must be so exciting (& stressful!)

I’ve got a pack through today for the sale of our house so I’m going to fill all that in tonight & hand deliver it to the solicitor tomorrow.
    Our buyer has sorted his mortgage ( I hope) & is paying for the valuation on Saturday so I hope that’s done next week or the week after.
    We are buying a house that isn’t ready yet, it’s having a new kitchen in the next week or so, ( I’m choosing it) so am I right in thinking we can’t have a valuation till it’s all ready?
    Feel like the end is months away & I’m not great at waiting, I will feel much better when ( if) we get our mortgage offer
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Congrats to those exchanging and completing, so exciting! Good luck with it all!
    I could literally cry. In fact I already have today. We went to the solicitor's this morning to exchange contracts and the lender had the agreed purchase price incorrect and the estate agent hadn't updated their files with it either :wall:
    Finally got the correct price confirmed, called our lender to plea with them to update the document and fax it over immediately. Signed all the paperwork in the meantime. They swore they'd sent it, but it wasn't received until 3.30pm after several frustrated phone calls back and forth.
    We still have no idea if we can complete on Friday, but if so exchange and completion will both take place on the same day and we won't find out until on the day if it's going ahead or not. So all we can do is be packed up and ready to go and pray for a miracle. Oh, and hope that we can book a van last minute.
    Seriously, you couldn't make it up, we have had no luck at every step of the way. I have a massive headache and just had enough of everyone not doing their job properly and everything being against us now :(
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Natbag wrote: »
    We still have no idea if we can complete on Friday, but if so exchange and completion will both take place on the same day and we won't find out until on the day if it's going ahead or not. So all we can do is be packed up and ready to go and pray for a miracle. Oh, and hope that we can book a van last minute.
    Seriously, you couldn't make it up, we have had no luck at every step of the way. I have a massive headache and just had enough of everyone not doing their job properly and everything being against us now :(
    Oh gawd, rather you than me! Not something I'd do now (did with my first purchase - never again!). Why can't you have a gap between the two? If you're getting a mortgage, your lender may insist on 5 days or so.

Good luck Natbag!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Congrats RackAttack & dpearson!

Natbag - I feel so sorry for you! It sounds like things have just kept going wrong. Got my fingers crossed for you completing on Friday.

I've had our mortgage redemption statement through and it's fine, so we are ready to exchange! :j We will see how long it takes to happen though, as our buyer's solicitor has been taking an age to do anything these last couple of weeks. At least we're nearly there!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback