How do you get a credit rating?

Hello all!
So. I'm pretty young, only 19, and I recently got my own house for my daughter and I. Only one problem. I keep getting refused credit for everything. I have no idea how to get a credit rating, let alone improve mine! I know theres websites like Experian that are for that... but they charge and it's not something I can afford. Any tips or help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2013 at 3:12PM
    Hello all!
    So. I'm pretty young, only 19, and I recently got my own house for my daughter and I. Only one problem. I keep getting refused credit for everything. I have no idea how to get a credit rating, let alone improve mine! I know theres websites like Experian that are for that... but they charge and it's not something I can afford. Any tips or help would be much appreciated!

You run your bank account very well, keep it in the plus 24/7 or do your best to try. Never cancel a DD for say your mobile phone without speaking to them first (and cancel in writing).

Get on the Electoral Roll for where you are now. None of this will have an instant effect though.

Maybe a credit card for those in your position would be a good idea but it might depend how many refusals/declines you have had.
  • rabbit_burrow
    rabbit_burrow Posts: 293 Forumite
    You say that you can't afford the online credit files access, so it might be best for and your daughter that you can't obtain credit. X
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Have you had any credit products at all before?
    E.g. a mobile phone contract? a bank account with an overdraft? a catalogue account or anything?

Have you registered to be on the electoral roll where you live?

What credit have you been trying to get and been declined for?

If you want to see a copy of your credit file you could look at your noddle one, which is free to access. Experian and Equifax both have a £2 option to see your credit file. But none of these will show you how to improve your ability to get credit, all they will show you is what is on your file at the moment, i.e. whether you have any credit accounts, if you have made payments on time, whether you are on the electoral roll etc.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's a great guide on here on how to understand and improve your credit rating.

As others have said, the key is to get on the electoral roll and to use some credit and repay it on time.

James
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport