Tell Us Once - Car Registration

My brother and I have just registered our Mum's death, and have been given the the details for the Tell Us Once service which we plan to use.

When it comes to the DVLA they will cancel her licence, and also unregister her as the keeper of any vehicles. Is it just a case of nominating one of us to be the new registered keeper?

Many thanks,

HH.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    HHarry wrote: »
    My brother and I have just registered our Mum's death, and have been given the the details for the Tell Us Once service which we plan to use.

When it comes to the DVLA they will cancel her licence, and also unregister her as the keeper of any vehicles. Is it just a case of nominating one of us to be the new registered keeper?

Many thanks,

HH.
    The executor needs to notify the DVLA about who the will says will inherit it.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tell us once should cancel her driving licence but won't change any vehicle registrations
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Tony, that's what I was expecting, but the paperwork from the Registrars talks about de-registering ownership, and my Brother was told the tax would be cancelled and we'd have to SORN.

Yorkshireman - the will doesn't make any mention of the car specifically. Ultimately my brother & I share everything.
  • HHarry wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, that's what I was expecting, but the paperwork from the Registrars talks about de-registering ownership, and my Brother was told the tax would be cancelled and we'd have to SORN.

Yorkshireman - the will doesn't make any mention of the car specifically. Ultimately my brother & I share everything.
    Noted. That is not my understanding. Perhaps a quick call to the DVLA will provide a definitive answer. Dont forget the DVLA only record the keeper not the owner.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You need to notify DVLA to transfer the car and tax it in your own name straight away.

https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    About 2 weeks ago, the 'tell us once' service cancelled the tax on my late husband's vehicles and sent me the cheques for the value of the refunds. My solicitor queried it as one of the cars was very valuable and, potentially, could have been devalued if I had to register it in my name before selling it (adding a second owner to the log book). However, DVLA said they had given the vehicles a kind-of SORN status that is specifically used when an owner dies, and that I wouldn't have to register them in my name unless I intended to keep them. She also said that when I came to sell them, we would just have to write 'deceased' in the place where the current owner's name should be written. I hope this helps.
  • LinBWales
    LinBWales Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I registered for the 'Tell us once' service when I registered my mother's death last October. Last week I received a form from the DVLA for my mother (her post is diverted to my address) asking her to reapply for her driving license. So I am not sure the DVLA is linked to Tell us Once unfortunately. It was quite upsetting.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    TellUsOnce is by no means 100% reliable so id always check, so its kind of pointless.

I work with council tax frequently and we get a lot of people calling about deceased accounts where theyve told TUO and we havent heard a peep from them
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    myrnahaz wrote: »
    About 2 weeks ago, the 'tell us once' service cancelled the tax on my late husband's vehicles and sent me the cheques for the value of the refunds. My solicitor queried it as one of the cars was very valuable and, potentially, could have been devalued if I had to register it in my name before selling it (adding a second owner to the log book). However, DVLA said they had given the vehicles a kind-of SORN status that is specifically used when an owner dies, and that I wouldn't have to register them in my name unless I intended to keep them. She also said that when I came to sell them, we would just have to write 'deceased' in the place where the current owner's name should be written. I hope this helps.

You will find many if not all potential buyers will run a mile if they see a V5 not registered in the name of the seller.
    Webuyany car have special procedures to go though when you are selling a car as executor of a deceased without a V5 in your name which as I recall them to see a solicitors letter confirming it is "all above board" and approved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure