Reclaim tax (rebate) from more than 4 years ago

In the 08/09 tax year, I’d been paying tax at my full time job up until November when I totally ceased earning (my husband is in the military and we were sent out of the country last minute). I believe I should have been due a tax rebate at the end of that tax year as I’d been paying tax/NI at a rate presuming that I’d continue earning a full time wage throughout the rest of the tax year, but, because we were out of the country, it never occurred to me. I’m certain that I should be due all/most of my tax back as I would only have slightly exceeded my personal allowance, if I reached it at all. I’ve been in contact with HMRC recently about it and they said you can only claim within 4 years. I’m sure though that if I owed them money from 8 years ago they’d have absolutely no problem with chasing me for it! So, I wondered if there is a way to claim a rebate > 4 years ago? Has anybody ever been successful in doing so? Obviously HMRC could have tried to contact me at the time, but because I was out of the country any letter wouldn’t have reached me.

Comments

• HannahR wrote: »
    I’ve been in contact with HMRC recently about it and they said you can only claim within 4 years. I wondered if there is a way to claim a rebate > 4 years ago?
    I'm afraid not.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yo are out of time.
    Its unfair, i know. Its only my opinion but rebates should be made automatically at the end of each tax year.
    I have a feeling that they do do that nowadays but not sure
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I think it should be automatic too. Sadly it seems very one sided. If you don’t claim your rebate quickly enough, you lose it, but if you owe taxes from years ago they’d get you to pay up with the interest added on for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure