Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 8:55AM
    I would book the next three years off and see how they like it!

At my work we share and have a casual chat.

Is sharing a difficult concept.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:56PM
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I would book the next three years off and see how they like it!

At my work we share and have a casual chat.

Is sharing a difficult concept.

I still think the OP should try sorting this out amicably first without taking nuclear options.

These two have to work together and if they go tit for tat it will only get worse As a manager I’d be highly unimpressed if two of my managers couldn’t work this out between them.

And, yes, I agree that it was not good the way the other person booked their leave. But, we still don’t know, as far as I can see what the leave policy is. The OP has been asked a number of times but is yet to reply
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As others have said, the bottom line is that unless what they have done is contrary to your employer's policies about requesting leave, they have done nothing wrong and you having a go at them is likely to create more problems or you than for them.

Moving forward, you can consider:

- suggesting to management that the policy for how leave is approved is amended - perhaps to give staff who don't have 'preferred dates' one year, first refusal the following year.
    The downside of this is that is would create more work for managers so unless this is a widespread problem ad other staff members have expressed dissatisfaction with the current system, it is unlikely to change. Fr that reason, I'd only suggest to try it if you know that other members of staff would also like the current policy to change and (ideally) if thy are willing to say so, so it is a small group of you making the suggestion rather than just one person.

- plan ahead. If it is important to you to have days off around bank holidays then request the days you would like, when the holiday calendar goes 'live'. You don't have to have concrete plans ahead of time as to how to use the time, and can (assuming that your firm's policy allows it) cancel a day off if you decide you don't need it after all.

- talk to your colleague. It sounds as though you may have already burned your bridged on this one, if you've called her selfish etc. However, you could try apologising to her for those comments, letting her know that you understand why she has booked those days and asking that next year, she liaises with you so that you can each have some of those 'desirable' days and see what she says. However, since most people are not going to appreciate being called selfish I would suggest that you think carefully about how to approach it, and also think about what your relationship with her in general is like. If you get on well, and you have (or can build) a good relationship with her where she sees you as a helpful, supportive co-worker, then she is much more likely to be open to considering you when it comes to booking holidays, than if her perception of you is of someone who is aggressive or critical of her.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Given there are no BH between Easter and Aug that means they have booked potentially 2 weeks at Easter and Aug bank holiday week.

Leaves a very big gap between those dates.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Given there are no BH between Easter and Aug that means they have booked potentially 2 weeks at Easter and Aug bank holiday week.

Leaves a very big gap between those dates.

What about the 2 in May ?
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Diamandis wrote: »
    It's amazing that someone in a managerial position can't sort something like this out by themself. If you don't have any plans then just make plans for a different week and move on with your life.

I'd be laughed at if I went to my senior management with a trivial issue like this.

This.

/thread.
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Diamandis wrote: »
    It's amazing that someone in a managerial position can't sort something like this out by themself. If you don't have any plans then just make plans for a different week and move on with your life.

I'd be laughed at if I went to my senior management with a trivial issue like this.

There's 'Managerial' and 'managerial' and I'm suspecting from previous posts that the OP is in the lower of these. Given the historical posts I'd be putting up/shutting up or looking for a(nother) new job
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would as yourself is this an argument that you really want to get into.

If you have a particular reason why you really want a particular date then have a word to see if you are able to come to a compromise but otherwise I would let it go and make a mental note to be first next year.
  • inglorius wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are giving them too much credit, I did discuss this with them and they couldn't see how selfish their actions were. They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.

In my first job I only got 12 days leave plus all the bank holidays. We had to take 4 or 5 of these days at Christmas, so it meant I could never get a 2 week holiday in the summer. So I used to do something similar where I took the corresponding Friday or Monday off so that I effectively worked 3 days a week during April and May. No one ever complained. Didn't realise I was being selfish, was just trying to get a decent break. Perhaps its the same for your colleague?
  • inglorius wrote: »
    Agreed I'm more bothered with my colleagues as long as I'm alright attitude then the booking system itself.

In my previous job the managers used to swan in and out of the office, take extended breaks and rub it in the noses of the people under them.

Not saying that you are that type, but I learnt two things in that job:

1. Many people adopt the "I'm alright attitude" and if you can't negotiate with them, join them (to an extent).

2. Dog eat dog world.

You've either got to accept that you lost here (play the game better next time), or realise that it isn't a game you want to play and rise above it/let other people play their game.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure