Trust/Charity: Submission of Tax Return

Options
I’m treasurer of a small church which is a trust, a registered charity and registered with HMRC for Gift Aid repayment. Its Income is under £15000. This is attributable to donations. No trading activities are undertaken.

Recently, HMRC sent the church a letter asking it to make a Tax Return for 2016-17. This is the first one we've had in my time as treasurer (six years).

I replied and queried whether the church had a legal obligation to make a return. I wrote:

‘Other than donations, its (the church) only income is a small amount of bank interest, which is paid gross. In the year 2016-17, this amounted to under £100.

‘Due to the above, I understand that the church does not have a legal obligation to make a tax return for 2016-17 and that if present circumstances continue, under present legislation, it has no obligation to make tax returns in future years.

‘Could you please confirm, in writing, that this is indeed the case.’

HMRC replied:

‘All charities are required to file tax returns when requested to do so by HMRC.’

Can you confirm that the above is true? Relevant legislation and test cases would be useful to know.

If it isn’t true, how would I go about presenting a case to HMRC against submitting a Tax Return?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely it's quicker to just submit one?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As a registered charity do you do a annual return to the Charity Commissioners?

I've been associated with Church accounts for many years and never done a HMRC return.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »

I've been associated with Church accounts for many years and never done a HMRC return.
    by law they must submit a return to the Charity Commission since their income is more than £10k, but that is not the point.

the point is HMRC have exercised their right to ask anyone to submit a tax return, therefore it must be submitted.

Whether one is not normally required to do so is irrelevant.

Now that one has been asked for it must go in and must continue to be submitted each year henceforth until HMRC expressly write to say they no longer want them.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HMRC replied:

‘All charities are required to file tax returns when requested to do so by HMRC.’

Can you confirm that the above is true? Relevant legislation and test cases would be useful to know.
    Yes it is. Section 8(2) Taxes Management Act 1970.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1970/9/section/8/enacted
    I'm not aware of any test cases.
  • donaldfleming
    donaldfleming Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2017 at 4:59AM
    Options
    Good point. It may come to that.
  • donaldfleming
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Surely it's quicker to just submit one?

Good point. It may come to that.
  • donaldfleming
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »

Yes. The charity is registered with OSCR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport