Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Options

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't want to be in the position of Iresa owning me money when I moved out so took the precaution of cancelling my direct debit a couple of months ago. I entered my final meter readings before moving out & now apparently owe them about £100 but thus far nearly a month later I have still not received a final bill.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    What's the difference between a real credit and current credit? My current credit is £350 - built up over the summer months - is that not how it works? (oh damn - that's me paid off another Iresa fine from the OE !)
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Yes ,sorry for clouding the issue, my credit is a "summer credit" with uptodate meter reads+bills. It'll soon disappear when the temperature drops, assuming Iresa are still in business by then.
    £350 is an awful lot of credit. I am currently £100 in credit across my 2 suppliers and the maximum is forecast to be £140 at the end of October which is still too high, EDF usually balance the account at the end of January and I will be expecting a refund and DD decrease then (unless we get another 2010-11 winter).
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    £350 is an awful lot of credit.
    Our DD is £100/month; we use a lot of energy over Winter.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    You presume wrong (in most cases)

It is an investigation fee, and arises where the supplier has failed to resolve the matter directly with the customer.

Exceptions do apply, such as where the supplier has not been given the opportunity to resolve the matter, where the claim is considered vexatious, etc.
    In those instances, the fee does not apply as there is no proper investigation by the ombudsman.

This is what the Ombudsman's email said,

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]"Your complaint about Iresa Limited

Iresa Limited has challenged my investigation and provided representations.
    We will review this information and issue our decision within the next four weeks.
    Thank you for your patience during this time."

3 weeks ago the Ombudsman told me that he had ruled Iresa to credit my account by £30 and give me an apology.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Fitzmichael
    Options
    I switched in March 2017; it went smoothly. However, they don't 'do' smart meters; I volunteered for them (in an outside 'cupboard') when I was with Br Gas, who otherwise send readers; Iresa don't. MSE Cheap Energy should warn about this.
    Given that the aim is to have everyone on smart meters by 2020, it never occurred to me that they would only work for the company that supplied them. I did know that Iresa couldn't get the reading remotely but I didn't know that the meters were 'fixed' so that, if I left Br Gas, they would stop sending the readings to the monitor in the kitchen.
    First, I would hope that MSE Dan L can discover whether that is an unavoidable feature of how the meters work (presumably with the -surely unlikely - result that you would have to change meters every time you changed supplier) because, otherwise, it is just a mean action by Br Gas.
    Why is it important? Because I'm 76, the gas meter 'register' was only a bit more than a foot above the ground and I had to bend down to read it, whereas the monitor was on top of the fridge/freezer. The old meter's register was the clock dial type, black/red on white, easy to see without glasses. The smart one has an LCD display, for which you have to press a button to produce a reading (and other possibilities) and I have to kneel on the ground, bend forward and tip my head back in order to look, with specs on, straight into the little window, where the figures are hard to read if the sunshine is coming from the wrong angle. How would you manage at all if you were disabled?
    I complained to Br Gas but they said to contact the new supplier, 'as they can confirm if there is any requirement of meter exchange or they can take the readings from the same meter and, if so, they can arrange an engineer to relocate your meters'. Iresa's response was that I should get a family member (miles away) to read the meter or get the meter moved and that I could send their reply to OS Energy if I liked. I did so weeks ago but they go round in circles.
    Previously, bills have come showing latest reading, previous reading, consumption and charge, but not Iresa. I complained about both things to the boss, Adeniyi Oladeji, but got no response.
    Be warned.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 7:20PM
    Options
    I switched in March 2017; it went smoothly. However, they don't 'do' smart meters; I volunteered for them (in an outside 'cupboard') when I was with Br Gas, who otherwise send readers; Iresa don't. MSE Cheap Energy should warn about this.
    Given that the aim is to have everyone on smart meters by 2020, it never occurred to me that they would only work for the company that supplied them. I did know that Iresa couldn't get the reading remotely but I didn't know that the meters were 'fixed' so that, if I left Br Gas, they would stop sending the readings to the monitor in the kitchen.
    First, I would hope that MSE Dan L can discover whether that is an unavoidable feature of how the meters work (presumably with the -surely unlikely - result that you would have to change meters every time you changed supplier) because, otherwise, it is just a mean action by Br Gas.
    Why is it important? Because I'm 76, the gas meter 'register' was only a bit more than a foot above the ground and I had to bend down to read it, whereas the monitor was on top of the fridge/freezer. The old meter's register was the clock dial type, black/red on white, easy to see without glasses. The smart one has an LCD display, for which you have to press a button to produce a reading (and other possibilities) and I have to kneel on the ground, bend forward and tip my head back in order to look, with specs on, straight into the little window, where the figures are hard to read if the sunshine is coming from the wrong angle. How would you manage at all if you were disabled?
    I complained to Br Gas but they said to contact the new supplier, 'as they can confirm if there is any requirement of meter exchange or they can take the readings from the same meter and, if so, they can arrange an engineer to relocate your meters'. Iresa's response was that I should get a family member (miles away) to read the meter or get the meter moved and that I could send their reply to OS Energy if I liked. I did so weeks ago but they go round in circles.
    Previously, bills have come showing latest reading, previous reading, consumption and charge, but not Iresa. I complained about both things to the boss, Adeniyi Oladeji, but got no response.
    Be warned.

The Government decided in its wisdom to allow suppliers to fit meters that communicated only with their system. This was to allow suppliers time to build the supporting in house infrastructure to deal with automated meter readings. These meters have been given the designation SMETS 1. The new standard for smart meters is SMETS 2: these meters will start to be rolled out shortly and they will connect with a central hub (the Data Communications Company) not individual suppliers. The Government has directed that suppliers are to find a way of grafting their existing SMETS1 meters on to the DCC by 2020. The fact that SMETS1 smart meters were supplier dependent was mentioned on all the websites that I have looked at in recent months. I accept that it is probably not something that CS brought to your attention.

Suppliers are only required to read your meter once every 12 months. As far as I know, Iresa is not installing smart meters. Many new suppliers are waiting for SMETS2 to start before they commit to a particular meter supplier.
  • SpotlandRules
    Options
    Be warned.

Without meaning to sound nasty in any way, due to your age, you can go onto the Priority Register. All companies (so I believe) have to offer this service. As part of this, you can ask for quarterly readings to be made on your behalf.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    This is what the Ombudsman's email said,

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]"Your complaint about Iresa Limited

Iresa Limited has challenged my investigation and provided representations.
    We will review this information and issue our decision within the next four weeks.
    Thank you for your patience during this time."

3 weeks ago the Ombudsman told me that he had ruled Iresa to credit my account by £30 and give me an apology.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

So it sounds as though you have not had a decision from the ombudsman service.

You need to wait until they make their decision/recommendation, and then you decide if you agree to it.

It is, in my experience, most strange for the OS to even give you an indication of their decision until they are happy to make it.
    In fact, it is usual for the OS to converse with the supplier when deciding what will be their recommendation.
    I have no idea why they have operated as they have in your instance.
    If interested, you can ask them. If not satisfied with the outcome, you can complain about how the OS have handled your complaint (but not about any recommendation thay have or will make in connection with your complaint against the supplier)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You need to wait until they make their decision/recommendation, and then you decide if you agree to it.7

It is, in my experience, most strange for the OS to even give you an indication of their decision until they are happy to make it.
    In fact, it is usual for the OS to converse with the supplier when deciding what will be their recommendation.
    If interested, you can ask them. If not satisfied with the outcome, you can complain about how the OS have handled your complaint (but not about any recommendation thay have or will make in connection with your complaint against the supplier)

I had exactly the same response from the EO after it had announced its decision. Iresa was late turning up to the party ( ie, it failed to participate in the process until the EO had made his decision). The review took 2 days and the original decision was upheld.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

You need to wait until they make their decision/recommendation, and then you decide if you agree to it.

Here is the start of my earlier email from the Ombudsman,as I said Iresa have challenged his decision.
    "
    Your complaint about Iresa Limited
    [FONT=&quot]I am writing to confirm the outcome of my investigation into the complaint you made about Iresa Limited.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have considered the information provided by both parties"

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] He goes on to explain things then and finishes with[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"My review of your complaint has shown me that you have experienced poor service with the refund of your overpayment. I have decided that Iresa Limited should apply a credit to your energy account of £30 as a gesture of goodwill for the shortfalls in customer service and inconvenience caused."

and now Iresa has challenged his decision and it gets past to another department and this takes up to another 30 days.

[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport