Economy 7: Is it worthwhile? Your views pls!

Comments

• JSR
    JSR Posts: 187 Forumite
    DragonQ wrote: »
    So if your heating is gas, how do you use 20% of your electricity between 01:00-08:00 GMT? Do you just use so little that the fridge is a big chunk of total usage? :D

LOL, could be. :) I suspect much of the night usage is the Sky box, broadband router and assorted devices under my TV that are never switched off. I'm not really using that much additional electric in prime time anyway. Just the laptop (20 W) and TV (80 W) plus whatever is used for cooking. My exact split over the last 12 months is 2091 kWh day and 511 kWh night.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    JSR wrote: »
    My exact split over the last 12 months is 2091 kWh day and 511 kWh night.

So 19.6% on off-peak.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    1. appliances on a timer in that period.

2. Electric showers before 8am(9am in summer)

3. Breakfast ditto.

I have an E7 meter although most of the time I have not been on an E7 tariff.

My family tend to get up early. One bathroom has an electric shower(we have gas CH) and we can put on dishwasher/dryer/washing machine in the early morning.

Even without trying to maximise off-peak usage we have averaged 22% over the past two years.

With that percentage there isn't much difference either way with many tariffs.
    Ah, the electric shower is probably the biggest thing I'd forgotten about. I've never had one. :(
    JSR wrote: »
    LOL, could be. :) I suspect much of the night usage is the Sky box, broadband router and assorted devices under my TV that are never switched off. I'm not really using that much additional electric in prime time anyway. Just the laptop (20 W) and TV (80 W) plus whatever is used for cooking. My exact split over the last 12 months is 2091 kWh day and 511 kWh night.
    Heh. My desktop PC uses ~175 W when doing sod all, my plasma TV uses ~150 W, plus ~50 W for my HTPC, ~30 W for my server and ~400 W for my A/V receiver. :eek:
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    My E7 clock doesn't change with BST but someone helpful has put a sticker on it at some point stating the hours during GMT and BST. My consumption is cheaper on E7 all year round. I have electric water heating and, as a low user, heating my water accounts for at least 50% of my usage in the summer months. Considering that I also use storage heaters in the winter, E7 is a no-brainer.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    amiehall wrote: »
    My E7 clock doesn't change with BST but someone helpful has put a sticker on it at some point stating the hours during GMT and BST.

That is the point being made.

The clocks are not meant to change. So if the hours set for changeover from off-peak to peak consumption are, say, 1am to 8am during the winter(GMT) it becomes 2am to 9am in the summer(BST) i.e. the clock is an hour slow.
  • Accuracy of the clocks-digital meters with their own built in clocks.. very good. I see a few which have drifted a little. They stay the same time, that is GMT so they are an hour out now in BST. anologue timer switches... way off mostly, rare to see one anywhere near the same time so the cheap seven hours could be anywhere . I saw one last week where it was on the night rate at 4 pm in the afternoon. The occupier was going to make a claim because he thinks his storage heaters would be on when the day rate was in operation.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Agree with the thrust of your post, but the situation today(as described above) might not apply tomorrow.

There is also merit in those with older(thus less efficient) oil/LPG boilers to consider switching them off during the summer and heating water by an immersion heater on E7.

Indeed even an old gas boiler with a 'flamethrower' pilot light might find E7 cheaper.

My issue, and I have one, is with that 40% no storage figure. I don't recall till the very recent past any figure even close to 10%. We know, and there are many such proactive posters right here in this group, who make an E7 ToS tariff pay without any stored water or space heat. We also know why and how households end up with an inappropriate ToS service / meter. If however it took 30 years to reach from 0-20%, my question is why has it taken only a couple of years to reach 40% ? The rise of hundreds of web sites proclaiming to sell E7 replacement products that are neither PartL nor E7 would explain this sudden and unexplained phenomena, even with interventions from the ASA enforcing the CAP code this practice persists.
    Break even point British Gas 45% - Scottish Power - 15%

It always amazes me that BG whose break even tariff split is 30% higher for example than Scottish Power, has any E7 / E10 consumers at all. In the final analysis [smart meters not yet a runner] switching is the key to effective engagement and market market competition, and a common standing charge would be a big single hammer to knock a hole through pricing camouflage and bring a transparency of price tariff comparisons. Either a compulsory fixed national standing charge & unit rates, or a compulsory no-standing charge & unit rates, and a compulsory prohibition on any discounts other than DD / e-Account rules would be a solid starting point for ToS customers.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So has your heating been on during April?
    Yes. You can see in the graph where it was cold at the start of the month. As the weather has improved, the overnight usage has steadily reduced. We have been gradually reducing the input charge on the heaters during April too. Most of winter they have all been on full input charge, which results in about 50kWh cosumption in the 7 hours (this is how most of March was). Currently they are at about half input charge, and combined with the warmer weather, has resulted in around 25kWh consumption in the 7 hours.

Glad to see I'm not the only person creating spreadsheets/graphs to monitor my usage! :D
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2013 at 10:33AM
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Glad to see I'm not the only person creating spreadsheets/graphs to monitor my usage! :D
    I have spreadsheet values with meter readings every month for a few reasons:

- To find out what the monthly and yearly usage is (roughly) to find the cheapest supplier.
    - Evidence of usage should suppliers get anything wrong.
    - Evidence of usage for housemates.
    - To see how much gas usage is heating and how much is not (always easier to reduce bills if you know where the money's going).

Right now my "higher rate" electricity cost easily covers everything we need regardless (oven, kettle, microwave, electric showers, washing machine), so adding anything extra (like my home server which is on all the time) only uses the "lower rate" of 10.1p/kWh (inc VAT), which is cheap these days. I dread the day my fixed tariff ends. :(

Right now we're using 10 kWh per day on average, so £1.24 per day.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have spreadsheet values with meter readings every month for a few reasons:

- To find out what the monthly and yearly usage is (roughly) to find the cheapest supplier.
    - Evidence of usage should suppliers get anything wrong.
    Same here pretty much, although it started as a way to see where we could cut back. I think I may have been a tad ambitious we daily readings, but if you want to pinpoint exactly where the units are going it is essential.

It really has helped though! Having it in black and white (or fancy colours if you include the graphs) has been an effective tool for conditioning the other half. I can be very conservative with power (OH worked away for a week and consumption dropped to less than a quarter of normal levels), but she who must be obeyed will always do as she feels in the moment, and having a 5 year old doesn't help either!

Our usage for summer will drop dramatically. Last year (which wasn't particularly great weather) we were able to turn all the storage heaters off for a number of months. With only water heating overnight, and with a further reduction in daytime units due to an oil heater being off and some new appliances, I expect to see our daily cost to be around £1.20 mark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure