How much can I earn in second job?

13»

Comments

• pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    What are the laws with working two jobs ? doesnt there have to be a rest period between each job or something?
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pixie1 wrote:
    What are the laws with working two jobs ? doesnt there have to be a rest period between each job or something?
    Not as far as I know. You have to have at least half an hour's break if you work more than 6 hours, but that's in each job, so you could work 6 hours in one place then nip straight next door and do another 6 hours somewhere else, AFAIK.

Some employers say you either can't take a second job or must get their approval first. I think you would run into problems if both jobs were driving, because there are special regulations for that (at least there are for driving lorries and buses). But apart from that, I think you can have as many jobs as you like!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Not as far as I know. You have to have at least half an hour's break if you work more than 6 hours, but that's in each job, so you could work 6 hours in one place then nip straight next door and do another 6 hours somewhere else, AFAIK.

Some employers say you either can't take a second job or must get their approval first. I think you would run into problems if both jobs were driving, because there are special regulations for that (at least there are for driving lorries and buses). But apart from that, I think you can have as many jobs as you like!

What about the working time directive. Does that apply to just your main job or to both at the same time or seperately to each job.

As if you want to work more than 48 hours a week you have to opt out by signing a form.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Savvy_Sue
    calleyw wrote:
    What about the working time directive. Does that apply to just your main job or to both at the same time or seperately to each job.

As if you want to work more than 48 hours a week you have to opt out by signing a form.
    Again, AFAIK and I'm no expert, the WTD applies to each job.

I don't see how it could be otherwise, because the intention is to protect the worker from the employer making unreasonable demands. Your employer can't require you to work more than 48 hours unless you've signed an opt-out, but if you have two employers how can either 'police' the hours you do for the other?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Again, AFAIK and I'm no expert, the WTD applies to each job.

I don't see how it could be otherwise, because the intention is to protect the worker from the employer making unreasonable demands. Your employer can't require you to work more than 48 hours unless you've signed an opt-out, but if you have two employers how can either 'police' the hours you do for the other?

I do see what you mean. And agree with what you are saying.

But I thought the whole point of the working time directive was to make peoples working weeks shorter so that you don't work more than 48 hours a week with out your consent. Does not mention about multiple employers though.

I did do a google on working time directive and two jobs and it did not come up with the answer.

So think that your answer is right and what I thought in the first place but thought I would just kick it around here to see if anyone knew.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Savvy_Sue
    calleyw wrote:
    I do see what you mean. And agree with what you are saying.

But I thought the whole point of the working time directive was to make peoples working weeks shorter so that you don't work more than 48 hours a week with out your consent. Does not mention about multiple employers though.

I did do a google on working time directive and two jobs and it did not come up with the answer.

So think that your answer is right and what I thought in the first place but thought I would just kick it around here to see if anyone knew.
    I suppose the argument goes that no-one forces you to work two jobs, so although doing so might over-ride the spirit of the WTD it isn't against the letter. Obviously some employers require you to tell them if you take a second job, especially where there are safety implications, but I don't know how this is enforced. Apart from by sacking you if they find out ...
  • TPAOY
    TPAOY Posts: 50 Forumite
    My employer requires you to tell them if you are going to take on a second job. They are aware of my PC repairing in my spare time, but as this is a hobby they don't bother. Does the Inland Revenue take an interest in a hobby you get paid small amounts for?
  • TPAOY
    TPAOY Posts: 50 Forumite
    Have confirmed with employer that they are not particularly interested in anything undertaken at a hobby level. Checking with union etc to make sure they agree and no risk.

Still not sure about tax man. Lex stated that you have to tell them about all additional income, but does favours done by word of mouth recommendations count in this way? I'm sure I can remember a legal case in the past where it was held that helping others for very small gain was not the same as paid employment. Was probably over 10 years ago so I can't remember anything more about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure