Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• Just recieved a call from someone from lets just say a countyry far away who thinks cows are sacred. told me that they had a huge sum of money that had illegally been taken from me and how would i like it, cheque or card. I said cheque to save giving out my card details to a cold caller but they then said i still needed to give this out for identification purposes. They said they had the long card number from my debit card but i just needed to read this to them so they knew it was me. He then asked for my date of birth which is no secret but when he asked for my expiry date on the card i told them no. The gentleman (i use the term loosely) on the phone then started off in a rant about how they are following UK law and could not help without this information. I continually said no and asked for their details but all he would give was the name First Call Claims under the name UK Claims Ltd from Eastbourne, East Sussex. No telephone number. The call was then strangely passed to another person who again asked for the expiry date. Every time i spoke he butted in and just kept saying can i take the expiry date. By this time, a little irate, i sternly said no and he responded with, what? you don't want this large amount of money then? Its not a few pounds but a significant sum. At this point i politely said goodbye and hung up. I did a 1471 on the phone but strangely, the number was withheld.
    I would definately not hand over my details to a cold caller and recommend no-one else does either.
  • kez321g wrote: »
    . she provided an emploee id number 1901

just had a call from Janet (with a really strong asian accent) from 1st Call Claims of Eastbourne. Her ID was 1901 as well !! She got my date of birth from me but insisted she needed my debit card no beginning 4751 to process my bank refund. She said she would lose her job if i didn't give it to her. I said my wallet was at a friends house and she asked my to call him !! Call went on for 10 mins or so, she insisted she needed my card no and couldn't send all the paperwork without it. She said I could check thier website after to confirm it was legit,, I found it by google,, but it wouldn't load up even after numerous trys. There is a 1st call financial co in Eastbourne who's website did work, but I suspect they are not associated with eachother. I must admit, I was nearly taken in,,, just joined this site immediatly after the call.
  • I received a call from a lady from first call finical, speaking goodish english, telling me i was entitled to a PPI refund up to £1188 for a mortgage or credit card id had! While listening she was able to inform ME of my name, date of birth as well as the bank i am with. I was very shocked when she called out the first 6 digits of my 16 didgit card number and wanted me to confirm the rest of the number! (NOT A CHANCE LADY).
    After quizzing her regarding the company and then being told i would then pay them £99.99 for paperwork to receive this refund. I could not believe the forwardness of these people!
    As i was currious and I asked her more questions and she then past me to a supervier (by passing the muffled phone to them), then they passed me to another floor manager. Then they began asking why i would not pay this paperwork money!!! I told them this was a scam and hung up. Shockingly they tried to ring back 4 times again. UNBELIEVABLE...just watch out for PPI claim scam calls
  • I had a call from Elisha at 'Finance reclaim' yesterday. She said that my bank had to pay back all past 'interest' (I think she meant 'charges'). Had my name as it appears on my credit card, my full address and postcode and claimed to know my credit card number. Wanted my date of birth. I asked if I could call her back and she said she would go to find the web address. She obviously hung up after a minute or two. 1471 found this number 05092213648.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Wife had one of these at home this morning - got the impression they wanted us to think they were calling from our bank, however she wasn't daft enough to fall for it especially as First Direct don't make calls like that. Sounds like its a scam to harvest credit card details - would be wise if possible to block 05092213648 from calling anyone you know who is potentially vulnerable.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • I am getting calls from a gentleman with a heavy Indian accent identifying himself as Michael saying he is from "UK Accident Helpline" and that I have had a car crash and am able to claim compensation for my injuries. Of course it's all guff, I don't even drive or have a licence (never had one). My wife does all the driving. He says he got the info from the Road Traffic Bureau and insists that I have had an accident. He trots out my address in full with the postcode as if that somehow proves he knows more than how to look up my number on bt.com

It is a nuisance, the man called three times on Wednesday and once again yesterday, around the same time. Yesterday I got a greater London phone number out of him, allegedly for an office in a village high street near Milton Keynes. All rubbish again.

The man is very assertive, and borderline rude. He became angry when I told him that I considered his calls harassment and would contact the police. But what makes me more concerned is that it appears he called my mother (same surname and initial but living in a different town) and gave her the same spiel about an accident and that she was due compensation. Her description of the caller's voice and spiel sounds identical to mine. She eventually asked "why are you calling me" and he replied "because I want to f*** you".

My mother is a widow in her late 60's and is not very up to date with things like phone scams, caller ID and so on. Thankfully she wasn't too spooked but she didn't even know how to contact BT to complain.

Anyway BT says they've had a lot of identical complaints and they are sure the caller is from "abroad". They offered no other help. If he calls me again I shall be contacting Virgin (my provider) and see what can be done there. Sooner or later one of the providers should be able to put a trace on the line to see where he's actually calling from.

I have an idea that next time he calls I might say "can you wait a minute while I start tracing the call please"
  • TechSupp wrote: »
    Just recieved a call from someone from lets just say a countyry far away who thinks cows are sacred. told me that they had a huge sum of money that had illegally been taken from me and how would i like it, cheque or card. I said cheque to save giving out my card details to a cold caller but they then said i still needed to give this out for identification purposes. They said they had the long card number from my debit card but i just needed to read this to them so they knew it was me. He then asked for my date of birth which is no secret but when he asked for my expiry date on the card i told them no. The gentleman (i use the term loosely) on the phone then started off in a rant about how they are following UK law and could not help without this information. I continually said no and asked for their details but all he would give was the name First Call Claims under the name UK Claims Ltd from Eastbourne, East Sussex. No telephone number. The call was then strangely passed to another person who again asked for the expiry date. Every time i spoke he butted in and just kept saying can i take the expiry date. By this time, a little irate, i sternly said no and he responded with, what? you don't want this large amount of money then? Its not a few pounds but a significant sum. At this point i politely said goodbye and hung up. I did a 1471 on the phone but strangely, the number was withheld.
    I would definately not hand over my details to a cold caller and recommend no-one else does either.
    O my god I got sucked in by this company today! Stupidly enough I confirmed all my details with them, the whole time my head shouting stop stop! After I'd given my card details they said they would take 125 today from me, I went crazy telling them to forget it and the Asian guy basically said well we have your details now! They were getting cross with me because I was telling them yo forget it etc! When they asked me to confirm my card details I played along and changed a few digits, while they were questioning me I called my bank from my mobile and got my card cancelled. Then I simply hung up on the company. They told me they were from eastbourne and the guys name was Sam (could barely understand him), when I did 1471 the number was 011 and I've tried googling but nothing came up. I am normally so wise about these things and am so angry I gave them details!!! Lesson definitely learnt!!!!!
  • Just had a call from someone called Sam who said he was from this company in Manchester. Suspicious to start with as number withheld and predictive dialler used (silent initially until agent available to talk). I think he possibly had an eastern european accent, but he told me that I had £3000 compensation coming to me from an accident in the last 2 years. I haven't had an accident, but said fine send me a cheque; he then said he needed to "verify" that I was the right person by asking me for some personal details. I then asked where he was and for a contact number for his company, but he became a little nasty and told me not to waste his time. So, I told him he was a scammer, told him to foxtrot oscar and put the phone down. He must be used to people reacting in that way so I doubt it fazed him, but if enough people do maybe he'll find something honest and productive to do with his life.......
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I answer the phone and hear a pause followed by call centre background noise before they say hello I hang up.

If someone on the phone wants ME to confirm who I am I hang up. They are calling me and it is for them to confirm to me who they are.

If I get an offer of money that I know I am not due I hang up.

If I win something I didn't enter I ignore it.

It is such a shame there are lots of people in the UK who are not savvy to these things.

As I type this I just received a text offering a free loan from a government backed agency! I wish the directors behind these scams could be easily traced and hung up by their soft bits for all to see.
  • I am fedupalready.

I get one or more calls daily nuisance calls froma company calling themselves Road Traffic Accidents.

One more nuisance abusive call from RTA ("Road Traffic Accident") and I am going to try to register this with the police and ask for a crime reference number. It simply cannot be legal to call someone you do not know and abuse them.

Are BT able to chase unknown/withheld number calls to source if they have to for a criminal investigation? Does anyone know?

If so, I hope that all of you take the same approach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure