Memory Foam Mattress Advice

I wonder if any of you nice people out there can help us?

We HAVE to buy a new mattress urgently - my husband is struggling to sleep as once he gets into bed, his back starts to hurt badly within a couple of hours. Our current mattress is now 10 years old, but is an expensive pocket sprung.

Nearly 4 months ago, we purchased a Silent Night deluxe memory foam mattress topper, and are both converted to memory foam!

We went out last weekend, and went to John Lewis, as we
thought they are always great for advice. We stupidly laid on a Tempur mattress which we both fell in love with but couldnt afford in a month of Sundays

We have since looked at our topper (which cost £115 in November) and have realised that the area where myself and my husband sleep is not returning when not being slept on, and there are big dips which are both visible and very feel-able! This is being returned as soon as a new mattress arrives.

After much trawling of the internet, I have come across Ergoflex - their mattress which is similar to Tempur is on offer at £449 .......... a massive difference to the £1900 for Tempur! We also found another company Zleeps who are offering a King Gold mattress for a stupidly silly price, with 2 free memory foam pillows.

Does anyone have experience of Ergoflex or Zleeps or have any general advice for me PLEASE? We are becoming confused and frustrated, and need to sort this out asap.

Look forward to hearing from you!
'Don't judge me 'till you have walked a mile in my shoes'

Comments

• Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2013 at 9:39AM
    Hello,

The best advice I can give is to get into the shops and give them a try, as your planning on going from an old pocket sprung mattress with a memory foam topper to an ALL foam mattress. These will feel very different from each other.

Memory foam own it's own doesn't actully support the "body", it's the stuff that's under the memory foam that takes the weight and does the supporting. To which springs have always done the job.

The all foam mattresses can feel very hard indeed and then you slowly sink into it like wet sand.

Did you really really like the Tempur mattress? Or, and be truthful did the price "convince" you that it was good?

From my experience and what I have read on this site, pocket sprung and memory foam on top is the way to go. 1000 springs or more and 2 inch of foam.

[text deleted by MSE Forum Team]

Try the smaller independent shops, John Lewis are very good but hardy money saving......

Good Luck
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • Thats the problem - we dont actually like the feel of pockets, its just what we have always had. We did like Tempur, the feel of it but absolutely NOT the price! Do you know anything about Ergoflex at all? Their king mattress is currently massively reduced to £449, which whilst isnt cheap, its a darn sight cheaper than Tempur!

We did go out looking at pocket sprung with memory layer, but to be honest, having tried everything on the high street, we didnt like the pocket feel through the memory foam. Having slept on foam for nearly 4 months, we both agree that we like the feeling of it. I know that it will feel different with foam underneath instead of pockets, but having tried a few like this out and about on the high streets and retail parks, we think its the way we would like to go.

Any thoughts / knowledge on Ergoflex???
  • Memory foam is likely to make you hot and sweaty in the warmer months, bear this in mind.

• Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry no experience or any knowledge of Ergoflex.

There are over 100 different companies that make mattresses in the UK alone. That's before you add in those who import the vac packaged mattresses.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • Tempur every time.
  • The thing I dont like about Tempur is the price - its just not an option for us.

Just dont know what to do, its blowing my brain!
  • No the price is a nightmare, I know. If it is in anyway possible I'd go for it, though.
    Depending on the size of your bed - or if it's possible to get another - then could you use 2 singles side by side? Not the most comfortable for anyone straying into the middle, I know, but hub could have a Tempur & you some other sort of mattress.
    It may, at least, be worth discussing with a good bed/mattress store what could be done
  • lmp0507
    lmp0507 Posts: 329 Forumite
    I stayed at my friends house as a guest for about 2 weeks and had a memory foam mattress, It gave me the worst back ache of my life and I've avoided them ever since..
  • Crisp_£_note
    Crisp_£_note Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    We have recently upgraded our topper and purchased it from a shop called Ponden Mills, they were on offer we got a kingsize topper for £60 !!!! Thats a bargain as I purchased a single one a few months ago same make from the same store at a cost of £50. Worth seeing if the offer is still on.

Hope this helps and you get a good nights sleep soon.

Failure is only someone elses judgement.
    Without change there would be no butterflies.
    If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Have you considered a latex mattress?
    We've got a pocket sprung latex(didn't want memory foam cause of the warmth) It 'gives' in the right places but once you move the latex springs back.
    Worth considering
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport