Can i get refund on phone unlocking scam/deceit?

chris112
chris112 Posts: 127 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 February 2017 at 11:42AM in Mobiles
i was looking to get my iPhone 7 unlocked and saw this website that do it for £19.99

So I paid and got an email today about unlocking but i need to pay a furher £60!!

"We cannot refund pre-orders due to the cost of preparing the unlock, as stated on our homepage. "

https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/

when buying and checking out there was nothing about this extra £60
but im guessing they had a tiny small print clause

but this is awful tricking people, is there any way to get back the £20 i paid upfront?
im guessing no :(

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    paypal payment ??

and unofficial path for unlock that is about the correct price

why didn't you ask the network its locked to direct ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    chris112 wrote: »
    i was looking to get my iPhone 7 unlocked and saw this website that do it for £19.99

So I paid and got an email today about unlocking but i need to pay a furher £60!!

"We cannot refund pre-orders due to the cost of preparing the unlock, as stated on our homepage. "

https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/

when buying and checking out there was nothing about this extra £60
    but im guessing they had a tiny small print clause

but this is awful tricking people, is there any way to get back the £20 i paid upfront?
    im guessing no :(

Depending on the network that's stupidly expensive. Having a quick look there are unlockers on eBay where you are covered by eBay and Paypal protection who charge £10-£30 to unlock an iPhone.

I'm sure this scam by https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk has been posted about (more than once) on this forum in the past.
    ====
  • I did, i got the off ebay and the seller filled out the unlock request (free) with vodafone but as he cancelled his contract, a while back so didnt meet the unlocking criteria they cant unlock it
  • chris112
    chris112 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2017 at 12:13PM
    i just saw this unlock service on ebay and for only £16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262861795024?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

so do you think there would be a way to get back that £19.99 i originally spent?
  • d123
    edited 21 February 2017 at 12:16PM
    i just saw this unlock service on ebay and for only £16

I've used an eBay unlocker called mobilecare2010 for a number of Vodafone unlocks, I'd recommend him if he has a current unlock item.
    so do you think there would be amuwau to get back that £19.99 i originally spent?

How did you pay?
    ====
  • i paid by VISA
  • d123
    i paid by VISA

Probably not, you can ask your card issuer and see what they say.
    ====
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Where full costs and other contractual details are not fully explained up front, a breach of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 occurs such that the contract becomes null and void.

Talk to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. They can escalate to the relevant local Trading Standards body where necessary.
  • All over that website it says 'From £19.99' (some are more) and states quite clearly that that is just a deposit and will be discounted from your final price as that depends on model and carrier. You don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Are you sure that's it's an additional £60 they want or is that the total cost and the £19 will be taken off it? That's a 'normal' (maybe?) price for an iPhone unlock (another good reason not to buy one :) )
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    I think everyone is presuming this is a UK company?

Website is registered in Belize and doesn't offer any contact details other than an email address...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure