Budget Challenge Personal Spend

New budget means that clothes, hair and beauty buys should be no more than £100 per month - I will try to stick with this until our move is settled and we know where we are financially going forward.

Although, perhaps to many this does not sound like a restricted budget - sadly for me it is. Need to look decent for work and have to colour hair, have regular trims and also have awkward skin which needs attention otherwise it looks rubbish. Have probably been spending up to double this as a general rule. So as a way of trying to stay accountable for spending I am starting a diary - hope it does not bore anyone to death.

I have no need for summer clothes but some additions for the winter would be nice.

Wants - I can't justify them as needs at the moment!

I am working on capsule wardrobes - yes in the plural - I don't think it would be possible for me to manage on the very restricted number of items of clothing - I am working on two weeks worth of stuff plus the smaller work wardrobe of two jackets, two pairs of trousers, one dress and four tops. I don't always wear this stuff for work as its flexible. Basically I have three nice coats and I intend to base my capsules around each of them. Making sure what I buy goes well with these and forms good outfits for weekends and visiting friends and family as well as some work days.

On my wish list
One silk scarf to go with trench coat bought earlier this year. Silk is expensive but will last forever. Have only just got into silk as I had one given in another colour way last year and it accessorises a plain coat superbly and transform the whole look of an outfit.
I new pair of slim leg jeans - M&S have some good ones.
I pair of flat black shoes Clarks or Dune
I pair of boots - not decided whether to go black or tan. Probably Dune
I handbag - colour ditto as above (I may ask for contributions for my birthday towards this)

August spending will be hair only about £70.00. Will be looking for natural scrub for face as I am using all natural stuff at the moment.
September spending will probably try to snap up a pair of shoes and jeans. Jeans are pretty worn and going thin so feel justified.
October - buy bag or scarf and ask for the other one through birthday gifts.

November - buy new cosmetics. I probably have enough to last the next 3 months.
Cleanser/Toner
Serum
Day and Night cream - possibly eye cream too.
Only the serum and cleanser are likely to be expensive.
December - save money perhaps for the sales.

Strategy
1. Buy quality less is more
2. Make sure it works with existing wardrobe and I will wear it
3. Spend more time putting outfits and accessories together rather than buying another new t-shirt etc
4. Replace items when worn only if I don't have sufficient items to last for two weeks or thereabouts
5. Look after what is already in the wardrobe

It may look simple but I am not sure I will stick with it although I am sure it is the right thing to do. Once things are settled again and I can do more work then I can be more relaxed and make some 'investments'.

I don't buy mindlessly but still end up with items I don't use sufficiently to justify the spend. Some items don't work well and should not have been bought. Have spent on shoes that turned out not to be wearable as they slipped off. Have a small cosmetic obsession and buy ahead of needing stuff which just ties up money that could sit in the bank instead. Have always bought good cosmetics, I like the neatness of getting sets of things that work together. Trying a new approach being more selective and making use of lower cost items even if only to balance out an occasional splurge its all psychology!

So need to change ways.

Will post once a week with updates.

Comments

• I have a similar issue on the clothes front. I need (and like) to look professional for work. It's like part of my armour and helps me tackle the tricky days - i honestly feel I can take on anything if I look the part.
    I don't spend much on cosmetics to be honest as I'm lucky that nothing seems to bother my skin. I have a 'capsule' make up kit so have very few products in total which I'm sure helps.
    Like you I like to plan ahead with clothes and although I'm on a big economy drive at the moment, I know that i need some work trousers and a pair of black heels. I could probably benefit from a new dress too. I have never really mastered the art of buying for quality - I find myself scared off by the price of something genuinely decent and then go off and buy a cheaper version which doesn't last long at all. Definitely a false economy!
  • Savertobe
    Savertobe Posts: 36 Forumite
    Good to know I'm not on my own. I used to be very frugal but I was a size 6 then and anything looked pretty great but now I'm a size 12 and you have to be a bit careful as you get older - I don't want to look old but not mutton dressed as lamb either!!!

I already justified another spurge spend I decided that a cheap face scrub would not do the job and that I had not exactly spent last months allowance so 23.50 went in JL again. Its not a problem at the moment but we will shortly be living on much less at least for a while. If I'm honest I think you know there must be a cheap scrub out there that does the job so I might try one that gets good reviews and use as an alternative so I can really judge whether the present priced one is worth it.

I too baulk at high cost items but on balance I do seem to get most value out of the better quality items - sales at Next though have proved invaluable for topping up especially for holiday tops and dresses. At sale prices they really don't have to last that long but I have a dress and two tops bought several seasons ago (and I do wear them regularly) and they are still good - one top that get all round year wear will probably go into the painting pile at the end of the season. I'd guess it has cost <10p per wear.

Also spend £55 on hair this week. If I keep the jeans (see below) then that is £109 spend for August. So September should be £91.00 lets see.

ITEMS OUT THIS WEEK
    As part of the change in lifestyle I thought I would have a good sort out.
    Earrings that lost a detail
    2 pairs of shoes
    1 pair of sandals

ITEMS IN THIS WEEK
    Possibly the new jeans but annoyingly M&S don't sell the same ones anymore and the new ones had too much space around the waist. So ordered some online from a more expensive shop. Another 54.00 from Augusts budget.

On sales Boden stuff especially coats and dresses are good - I got a coat this year for £41.00 this is really low. Just last season is worth a look for more dressy clothes and can be really inexpensive.

All the best.
  • Soap and Glory do a gorgeous scrub for £9 a tube. Not sure how it compares to your favourite but it's lovely and scrubby and smells delicious!

Great Plains do brilliant reductions in their sales. They're an offshoot of French Connection so good quality.
    I might check out Boden for the work trousers - and possibly the shoes too.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Aldi sell excellent skin and beauty products which are comparable with high end products but a fraction of the price. The range is called Lacura....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3251389/The-7-Aldi-moisturiser-s-nearly-good-292-cream-glides-like-dream-keeps-skin-dewy-day.html
  • I've used the caviar day and night creams from that range and they are lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure