IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo, £100 PCN, now PARKING EYE WANTS MY FULL NAME...

Options
Our car was photographed going into and out of the Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo car-park but we decided not to stay (after deliberating inside our cars with another family in a separate car) as it was raining so hard. So we left after 14 minutes. We still got a £100 PCN. So did they.
We had no idea it wasn't just another pay and display car park. The owner couldn't have cared less when we called him after receiving the fine. We were guttted and have vented on Trip Adviser like so many others who have been caught out.
I've sent off my appeal to PE following your guidelines on this site - thank you all very much. I was clear to write that we were the 'registered keeper' of the vehicle. In fact this is true as my hubby rents the car from his boss (who owns the car and received the PCN in the post and passed it to us).

PE have today emailed and asked for the FULL NAME of the driver.
Do we give it to them? Does it make a difference?
We are afraid this will be dumped at our boss's door instead (the car owner), which he won't be happy about.
Will it be quicker and easier to just give them the name of the driver?
Help!
Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No , still "registered keeper" disputes this . They have no right to the information that they are asking for
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore the letter, wait for the POPLA code.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Timothea
    Timothea Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2017 at 2:51AM
    Options
    The owner can absolve hemself of any liability by naming the hirer (NOT the driver) and providing an address for service. PE would then be obliged to communicate only with the hirer. However, as you have already responded to PE as keeper, this shouldn't be necessary.

You could advise the owner that you are dealing with this and, if PE sends hem any further correspondence in relation to this matter, to pass it on to you. Then, just wait for the POPLA code.

You should be able to put together a strong appeal based on the fact that you decided not to accept PE's contract offer and exited the car park in less than 15 minutes. Look up the BPA Code of Practice on grace periods, with which PE must comply. Ten minutes to decide not to park there and four minutes to leave the car park are entirely reasonable.
  • KTrazor
    KTrazor Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    The PCN was sent to the registered owner of the car and passed on to my husband. My husband replied to the Parking Eye PCN (as he was one of the registered keepers of the car) using the format from fhe forums here (grace period and inadequate signage etc). At no point in his communication was the driver's name given.
    Parking Eye emailed him and asked for the driver's name. He replied asking that they PCN be cancelled due to the evidence provided in his first letter. Again, at no point in his communication was the driver's name given.
    This morning I have received the PCN stating that I am the registered keeper and / or driver at the time of the alleged parking charge - I am neither.
    Parking Eye have stated in my PCN letter today that my details were 'provided by the registered keeper'. THEY WERE NOT! Further, the name on the PCN, and my correct name on my DVLA details is different to the name on this PCN, (I abbreviate my full name to a shorter version for everyday use and this shorter version is on this PCN).
    I am so fed up with this. PE are liars too then huh?
    I have a BIG BROTHER feeling about this you know.
    Any help gratefully received.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Email PE, with the PCN number xxxxxx/xxxxxx in the subject line:

info@parkingeye.co.uk

... tell them you are neither the driver nor the keeper of this vehicle and nor has the registered keeper given your name, so where did they obtain your data from? Tell them that they must remove your data since you are neither keeper nor driver, and should revert to the registered keeper's appeal and supply him with a POPLA code. Failure to deal with this properly will result in a formal complaint to the DVLA and BPA about ParkingEye's conduct in this matter.

Has the 'owner' named you, perhaps? You said the owner was not the same as your OH.
  • KTrazor
    Options
    Thank you. I will do.
    The owner did not name me either.
  • KTrazor
    Options
    Parking Eye have now cancelled my parking fine so I am a happy bunny. I didn't ever provide a name for the driver of the car and they cancelled it before reaching the next stage.
    I have to say that the whole experience has left a bad taste and i will never return to Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo out of principle. There are so many comments on Trip Advisor from other families who have been stung and I wish them well in fighting on.
    Thanks for your help on this forum - I really appreciate it!
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    That is great news - I thought they would. Scared of the DPA. I wonder how they got your data?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KTrazor wrote: »
    I have to say that the whole experience has left a bad taste and i will never return to Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo out of principle. There are so many comments on Trip Advisor from other families who have been stung and I wish them well in fighting on.
    Thanks for your help on this forum - I really appreciate it!

Make sure you make them know why you're not going to be visiting again, and leave plenty of public feedback too. Pressuring the people who hire these vermin to get rid of them is the only way the scam will stop.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If there has been a breach of the DPA then wye valley, as principal, will be jointly liable for the actions of its agents.
    I believe there's some rubbish on their website saying nothing to do with us or some such.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure