Canada Vs New Zealand

for our 2018 big holiday we are thinking either 3 weeks in Canada or New Zealand and was wondering what are the pro's and con's for both.

We are going to be going with our 4 year old daughter so want something that can interest her and was thinking of hiring a camper van and driving to see as much of the country as we can
Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    There is an easy answer and that all depends on when you intend to go.
    If in our winter, New Zealand. If in our Summer, Canada.

But overall I would say New Zealand, as it is weird and wonderful. Plus three weeks isn't that much and Canada is huge.
    Lastly, New Zealand is so far away, that it is less likely that you would go there again soon. Whereas one can pop over to Canada much more easily.
    So, New Zealand. But it isn't cheap.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would suggest Canada as the flight to NZ is 24 hours plus which is a very long time for a 4 year old who may well not appreciate all that NZ may have to offer.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Both replies make very good points. I'd probably edge toward's Alan's choice of Canada, but there is no way you can (or should) see much of the country in 3 weeks so I'd concentrate on one part, either the West - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, up the coast, parts of the Rockies - or the East - Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City or Nova Scotia/Newfoundland/PEI depending on what you want to see.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To me it's a no brainier with 3 weeks

Canada.

NZ is too far for only 3 weeks IMHO.

Your 4 year old may not appreciate 3 weeks in a camper van at either place.;)
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    blindman wrote: »

I'd have loved it at that age.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Two weeks in western Canada with an Alaskan cruise for week three.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    blindman wrote: »
    To me it's a no brainier with 3 weeks

Canada.

NZ is too far for only 3 weeks IMHO.

I went to New Zealand for three weeks.
  • maisie06
    maisie06 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Whichever you decide you will have an AMAZING time! We had this dilemma too and chose Canada simply due to travel time. We had 3 weeks to fit our holiday into and flights to Vancouver were just under 10 hours compared to NZ being 24 hours travel minimum...I would love to go to NZ one day though...

Canada is an amazing country, awe inspiring landscapes and self drive is a doddle and the freedom it gives you is unrivalled, I wouldn't have liked to have been on a coach tour as the inlaws did as they only got glimpses before moving on again, whereas we found places to explore more off the beaten track.

The Vancouver to Calgary route is really something else - we ended up going twice!! The first trip we did Vancouver, Whistler - use BC 99 Duffy lake road and head up to Jasper via Clearwater- the scenery is just stunning = it's literally wow at every bend!

I cannot recommend Canada enough, it's friendly people, stunning landscapes and so much to do, it's expensive but for a special holiday I would say just go for it!:beer:
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    It depends what you want to see and do really.

New Zealand has everything to do at Queenstown, swimming with dolphins at kaikoura I think it was, hot water beach where the waters hot under the sand and many other things inbetween

Canada - only done the east side but there's whale watching in todussac, Quebec City and Montreal are really cool, lots of canoeing and outdoor things to do (same with both really).

I weren't that struck on New Zealand but I think i was spoilt by australia so would have appreciated it more doing it on its own
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would Love to do Both as our daughter is going to start school in September 2018 so know once school starts the only time of doing trips like this will be in school holidays which will be very expensive.

We are edging more towards New Zealand as we know if we go we are only going to go once whereas Canada we feel we could go a few times due to how close it is.

we are still debating as we may even do both next year.
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport