Very un-user friendly site

gwin
gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
As an infrequent visitor to the site I have to say it's not the most user-friendly forum I have ever been on.
A ton of symbols to "help" reply. If you don't have the key to them you're knackered. I've lost so many messages because I tried to see what different symbols did.
I think it is way too over complicated.
And why do you have to go searching for the "new thread" button? Or how to find your posts? Two of the most important parts of a forum, surely.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    gwin wrote: »

A ton of symbols to "help" reply. If you don't have the key to them you're knackered. I've lost so many messages because I tried to see what different symbols did.

I think it is way too over complicated.
    And why do you have to go searching for the "new thread" button? Or how to find your posts? Two of the most important parts of a forum, surely.

Its standard vBulletin - identical to a great many other forums out there. Old certainly and in need of revamp but not that difficult to use. The buttons aren't really needed either - you can use simple BBCODE (text) instead for most if not all of them.

You don't need to search for the New Thread button - it is in exaclty the same place on every forum, whilst your most recent posts are a mere two clicks away on any thread and a complete list is a maximum of four clicks from wherever you see your username.
  • Hi gwin

Are you using the old green forum or have you moved over to the "new" one? If you haven't moved over you might like to take a look and see if that helps (as a long-term forum member you can move back if you don't want to stay on it).

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I can't imagine many people, who have the choice, use the newer format
  • gwin
    pogofish wrote: »
    Its standard vBulletin - identical to a great many other forums out there. Old certainly and in need of revamp but not that difficult to use. The buttons aren't really needed either - you can use simple BBCODE (text) instead for most if not all of them.

You don't need to search for the New Thread button - it is in exaclty the same place on every forum, whilst your most recent posts are a mere two clicks away on any thread and a complete list is a maximum of four clicks from wherever you see your username.

It would be helpful when pontificating to explain the procedure for the two and four click route. That's the problem, all these forums assume everyone knows how to navigate so none of them explain.
    And if you insist on bold type to show how smart you are, at least spell correctly.
  • gwin
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi gwin

Are you using the old green forum or have you moved over to the "new" one? If you haven't moved over you might like to take a look and see if that helps (as a long-term forum member you can move back if you don't want to stay on it).

Andrea :)

Using the green forum, Andrea, wasn't aware there was an alternative. Thanks, I'll have a look for it.
  • Dia_Pita
    Dia_Pita Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Blue forum? why is there 2 forums are they different? How do you get to the Blue forum?

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Dia_Pita wrote: »
    Blue forum? why is there 2 forums are they different? How do you get to the Blue forum?

Open User CP (control panel) and then on the bottom left there are options to make the forum worse (aka use the new version)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Using the green forum, Andrea, wasn't aware there was an alternative. Thanks, I'll have a look for it.
    If you are confused by the green forum then the (horrendous) blue version will tip you over the edge ;)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It would be helpful when pontificating to explain the procedure for the two and four click route. That's the problem, all these forums assume everyone knows how to navigate so none of them explain.
    And if you insist on bold type to show how smart you are, at least spell correctly.

To have got as far as being able to post, you had confirmed that you had read and understood the basics of forum use and navigation from the provided materials - ( written/illustrated guides, videos) and you can refresh your memory from every page on the site.

So your questions should realy never arise.

And yes, the Blue Forum is awful - be glad you have been here long enough to still be able to use the green instead.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I thought, as I have not tried it for a while, I would give the blue a go. Lasted less than a minute before the bland everything merging into a wall of text got to me. Maybe try again next year to see if it is any better. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure