Invoice for Work I Have No Idea About

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    calling them means you would have had to open the letter, so admitting the details on the envelope are correct

How does opening the letters admit the details were correct? All it proves is that the letter was opened, not that they were opened by the intended recipient.

Its not illegal to open someone elses mail (providing you aren't doing so with malicious intentions).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    How does opening the letters admit the details were correct? All it proves is that the letter was opened, not that they were opened by the intended recipient.

Its not illegal to open someone elses mail (providing you aren't doing so with malicious intentions).

you need to read the Postal Services Act 2000
    According to the Postal Services Act 2000, it is illegal to open mail that is not addressed to you, unless you can show reasonable excuse. I don't think that as it had someone else's name on it, it could deemed as reasonable excuse.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

The Postal Services Act 2000 says:

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

Unless the person intended to act to a person's detriment they have not committed an offence.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    "Opened in error" - I know I have when an envelope came through the door in a pile of other stuff.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

"A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him."
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As you said - it's "nothing to do with me".

For peace of mind you could photocopy it, then seal it back into the envelope with "not known at this address" or similar and stick it in a postbox.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    You could ask the police if they are interested in a fraud, probably not.
    Malicious Communications Act maybe ?
    The police at the sender's end might be more interested.

You could then write to the sender, telling them that someone is trying to perpetrate a fraud, using their details ; and you apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused by the police as they trace the culprit.

Best advice is the shredder. The scammer has already stolen your time and your peace of mind. If you contact them, they will know more about you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Given the subsequent posts, it appears that they have but you haven't. ;)

I've previously seen that comment you posted but I can't remember where from. It looks like it came from (misguided) guidance motes.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    DoaM wrote: »
    According to the Postal Services Act 2000, it is illegal to open mail that is not addressed to you, unless you can show reasonable excuse. I don't think that as it had someone else's name on it, it could deemed as reasonable excuse.
    Given the subsequent posts, it appears that they have but you haven't. ;)

I've previously seen that comment you posted but I can't remember where from. It looks like it came from (misguided) guidance motes.
    Yes DoaM, that exact same text was used by Flyboy152, remember him?, in 2011.
    See here.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    This thread only needed a 2 word answer ....

Bin it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport