Which jobs are prohibited for ex-bankrupts?

I'm looking for a new career and finding a lot of job options are ruled out because I'm an ex-bankrupt (discharged over 12 months ago).

I know the obvious ones like accountancy and working in the legal sector (e.g. solicitor), but what else? I'm discovering jobs like working in car sales seem to be off limits (as dealing with finance).

What about things like - estate agents, working in banks etc?

Is there a time limit i.e. will there come a time I can apply for these types of jobs or is it indefinite? Seems a little unfair if it is indefinite.

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,302
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 11:46AM
    As Peterkay says - this board is for support of those who are BR. If you feel there should be a support board for those on the other side of BR - then contact MSE and ask for one.

OP: What jobs does bankruptcy affect?
    Some jobs are not open to bankrupt people at all. You can’t do any of the following jobs until you’re discharged from your bankruptcy:
    Charity trustee
    Company director
    Insolvency Practitioner
    Justice of the Peace
    Registrar of births, marriages and deaths
    MOT authorised examiner
    Consumer credit licence holder
    If the official receiver extends your bankruptcy restrictions, you’ll also be barred from the following jobs:
    Local or national government, for example a councillor or MP
    School governor
    Magistrate

The Police have a clause about BR for applicants I believe as do some gov agencies such as intelligence and security.

There are also some informal issues - in the private sector any employer might decide they don't like the idea but then you get into all sorts of rules about unfair dismissal.
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 11:46AM
    Yes there are two sides to every bankruptcy - this side is not for the creditors, it is for the people going through the bakruptcy process.

Please take a read of this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=443692

As TheGardener says, if you feel there should be a subforum for the creditors of bankruptcies then contact the forum team and request one.

Also, I do have experience of the harm that bankruptcy causes.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,620
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm looking for a new career and finding a lot of job options are ruled out because I'm an ex-bankrupt (discharged over 12 months ago).

I know the obvious ones like accountancy and working in the legal sector (e.g. solicitor), but what else? I'm discovering jobs like working in car sales seem to be off limits (as dealing with finance).

What about things like - estate agents, working in banks etc?

Is there a time limit i.e. will there come a time I can apply for these types of jobs or is it indefinite? Seems a little unfair if it is indefinite.

If you're discharged are there any prohibited jobs? The list above applies to undischarged bankrupts.

Once discharged I presume not being able to pass a credit check would make a banking job impossible for 6 years, but where are the restrictions from on dealing with finance e.g. car sales?
    ====
  • Did a few posts get deleted or something? Some of the above replies are a bit out of context it seems. All I wanted to know is whether myself as an ex-bankrupt is prohibited from ever applying to join certain professions.

Thanks for the list TheGardener.

What about roles which offer financial contracts e.g. sales jobs?
  • Pick up the latest 'jobs & careers' magazine - cost just under a fiver but it's definately worth it as gives insight into careers - I think 2 mags come out per year. This year's 'Spring' issue. has only just hit the shelves in WHSmith. Next one in autumn time.

Industries on the up for this year 2017
    Construction
    Industries lessening for this year
    Insurance Admin staff
    there's others but these are two I defo remember of the top of my head.

Any people service you might be okay in as recruitment consultant etc, now that's a career.

I have worked in a depot before now gladly with 'real' people where quite the irony was the people answering calls were not subject to dbs checking but the drivers were so imagine what happened if someone had a criminal past. So it's not just bankrupts that can have a problem.

See even the provy now does only CCJ checks on their loan collectors so perhaps things will start moving in the right direction. There was even that benefit programme recently where someone on benefits had been interviewed for a bank!! (got to imagine all the problems that someone unemployed can come up against) so which I thought was pretty radical! :)
  • d123
    Forumite
    Did a few posts get deleted or something? Some of the above replies are a bit out of context it seems. All I wanted to know is whether myself as an ex-bankrupt is prohibited from ever applying to join certain professions.

Thanks for the list TheGardener.

What about roles which offer financial contracts e.g. sales jobs?

There's at least one deleted post
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; Today at 12:46 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post

With regard to your question, a search doesn't appear to show any jobs specifically prohibited to discharged bankrupts, though some jobs might be difficult to get while the bankruptcy is still on your credit file.
    ====
  • TheGardener
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 1:51PM
    I had understood chartered accountancy professional bodies do not permit entry even to a discharged BR? Some professions (law etc) require membership of professional bodies so it may not be the actual job as such - but being excluded form the professional body that represents that profession that's the problem.

Sales - including dealing with customers applying for credit should not be barred to you.
  • d123
    Forumite
    I had understood chartered accountancy professional bodies do not permit entry even to a discharged BR? Some professions (law etc) require membership of professional bodies so it may not be the actual job as such - but being excluded form the professional body that represents that profession that's the problem.

Sales - including dealing with customers applying for credit should not be barred to you.

Doesn't appear so, don't confuse undischarged and discharged, a search even picks up previous posts on this forum.

e.g.
    Tinytim wrote: »
    Hi GMDF,

You will be unable to practice as a Chartered Accountant if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Once discharged, you can in theory become an accountant.

However, in many such occupations, you will have to be deemed to be a fit and proper person, and a recent bankruptcy may have an effect on this. The easiest thing to do would be to call The Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales. The telephone number for their London Office is 020 7920 8100

Following on from that link, to the governing body the AAT.

They say the following:
    AAT will not, under any circumstances, approve an application for membership from an applicant with an undischarged bankruptcy or Debt Relief Order, for which the moratorium period has not expired.

14. In all other circumstances, unless stipulated in Schedule 2 to this policy, AAT will consider the following criteria in determining whether an applicant is a fit and proper person to be admitted to membership:
    a) the type of insolvency declared
    b) the amount of money owed at the point of insolvency
    c) the circumstances surrounding the insolvency, including aggravating factors and mitigation
    d) representations from the Insolvency Practitioner (where relevant)
    e) the applicant’s present circumstances
    f) at least two character references
    g) any other representations put forward by the applicant.
    15. AAT’s requirements for character references are detailed in Schedule 1 to this policy. Even if a character reference meets these criteria, AAT may still reject an application, if it does not consider that one or more reference demonstrates an applicant’s fit and proper status.
    16. AAT may refer to information available in the public domain in making a determination as to an applicant’s fit and proper status.
    17. The test to be applied to the final determination whether an applicant meets the fit and proper requirements is whether the applicant, on the basis of their insolvency and the circumstances surrounding it, would pose a risk to the public or is likely, by virtue of holding membership, to undermine public confidence in AAT or its members.

So, membership is possible after a period of time has elapsed after discharge meaning such employment is not prohibited.
    ====
  • TheGardener
    Forumite
    yes - it is possible, but I have knowledge of an acquaintance being refused membership of a professional body 3 yrs after AD - and that effectively made her unemployable in that profession.

The reality is that some professions are restricted after BR - discharged or not.
    I've also seen posts on here pointing out that passing the recruitment for the Police as an ex BR is very hard.
  • d123
    Forumite
    yes - it is possible, but I have knowledge of an acquaintance being refused membership of a professional body 3 yrs after AD - and that effectively made her unemployable in that profession.

The reality is that some professions are restricted after BR - discharged or not.
    I've also seen posts on here pointing out that passing the recruitment for the Police as an ex BR is very hard.

Police requirement is at least 3 years have to elapse after discharge.
    Police officers with financial problems are potentially vulnerable to corruption, therefore it is preferable for applicants to be free from discharged debt and liability and be able to manage existing loans.

Applicants with existing County Court Judgements who are subject of a current Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) or have been registered bankrupt/subject of sequestration and their bankruptcy/subject of sequestration has not been discharged, will be rejected.

Applicants who have been registered bankrupt and their bankruptcy has been discharged will be rejected until three years after the discharge of the debt.

Debt Relief Orders will be treated in the same way as bankruptcy.

Applicants who have defaults or are in a debt management programme will be required to provide proof of how this is being managed and any relevant documentation e.g. agreement plan, evidence that payments are up to date and made on a regular basis.
    https://jobs.west-midlands.police.uk/application/
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family