MCS Collection Services

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I received a letter through my door this morning from MCS Collection Services addressed to my ex and myself at my home address, asking one of us to contact them.

I know my ex has debts and (background story) he stayed with me for approximately 3 weeks whilst he waited for a Council flat when he was made homeless.

So, he used my address so the local Council could correspond with him.

My question is can this company use my name as well considering they were not joint debts - we were never financially associated as I knew about his debts.

I have absolutely no intention of calling them back and I'll pass it onto my ex when I next see him and leave it upto him.

Thanks in advance.
As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    No

They have no right to pursue you over this and continued attempts to do so may be considered as harrassment under OFT rules.

You need only tell them that the person they are after doesnt reside at this address, they should cease collection activities immediately.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Thank you Firewyrm

I should be ok to call them then to say that he doesn't reside at my address and that I don't know where he now lives?

And to ask them to remove my name and address from their records as this debt has nothing to do with me?
    As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No you shouldn't call them (unless you can record your calls). They are very unlikely to believe you and will go all out to get payment from you.

I would write to them stating what you have said above. If that doesn't work the a prove it letter should get you proof it is not your debt.

MCS or Metropolitan Collection Services are HSBC's in house collectors and generally behave better than the lowlife ones most people post up about.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    You didn't have a joint account with HSBC?

Do they give an account number they are pursuing?

I think I would send them a prove-it to check what they have got that has your name on it.
  • Hi

Thanks for everyone's replies. No, absolutely no joint accounts together.

I phoned when I got home after work yesterday (before I saw the other replies) and asked why my name was on this 'Postagram' message. The guy admitted that he did not know as the mail they had (tried to say that he worked for a Contact Services company) was not addressed to me and that my name should never have been added.

I said fine, then do not send me any more letters with regard to my ex as he no longer resides there.

He apologised and said no problem. So, I'll just keep an eye out on mail over the next few weeks.
  • Lensman_2
    edited 28 November 2012 at 8:03PM
    Sounds like a good result. Please follow it up with a letter and keep a copy for your records.
    Dear Sirs.

Ref: XXXXXXX

To confirm our telephone conversation today.

Any and all amounts owing on this account are due solely from (my ex).

You confirmed that I am not connected with this account and that I am not liable.

You confirmed that no further correspondence will take place with me.

I therefore thank you for your time and require you to remove all contact details you hold for me forthwith.

Yours Faithfully.
  • Great idea, Lensman, thanks.

I couldn't believe the questions that the guy was asking me about my ex, all the time, evading my question as to what type of company they were.

Asked if I had any contact details, forwarding address, where he works, where his family live, etc, etc.

I told him I had no details. I figure it's not down to me to do their job for them and, even though I have had no dealings with these type of companies before, my feelings towards them are negative.

A quick query re. your letter template.

It has never been revealed to me that this is about a debt (but I know it is), the guy said they were a Contact Services company. So, I did a bit of research and they try and trace people for creditors and they are also called Meridian Contact Services and/or Meridian Tracing Services.
  • Lensman_2
    edited 28 November 2012 at 8:34PM
    MCS may have a contact department but they are a debt collector and part of HSBC. I suspect the letter may be OK as it is. But feel free to modify it - it is yours.

Whatever, please send something and keep a copy for your records.

If your ex doesn't pay (or cannot be found) further DCAs may need to be batted away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure