Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Comments

• I am in the middle of claiming back my charges with a lawyers company on my ordinary account with HSBC, as i didnt have time to do it my self due to other commitments. But realising about claims on charges, does anyone know if i could reclaim charges on an old business account going back 5 yrs ago? but the account has been closed around 4yrs ago.

Plus i wish i could of done the reclaiming myself now, as i think the company whos dealing with my request will take a good lump thats owed to me.
  • Yes, you can 100% go back 6 years and I think once this lawyer forces the Bank to court tomor it is expected that as long as you have the statements you will be able to go back further. I think it is 6 years as the banks are only required to have records going back that far.

You should do it yourself as it will cost you only stamps and envelopes- all the help you need is here! Just pm me or ask anyone.
    Help me to help you :santa2:
  • Thankyou, but for my business account i used to have, is now closed its been closed about 4yrs now, just wondered if there was anyway of gettin statements on the account, as i have the sorting code and account numbers. Sorry about the mislead i should of wrote it out properly but thanks anyways.
  • chicken_5
    chicken_5 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Hello
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out your old bank account details as I have no idea what my account details were from my student days I just know there were a hell of a lot of charges!
    I dont want to waste money paying for a credit report if that information is not included - could I just call old bank and ask or write anyway without account details ?:confused:
  • GREENY_2
    GREENY_2 Posts: 79 Forumite
    don't forget you can only get a list of charges for the past 6 years
    so if it was longer than that you can't claim anything
  • You need to write in requesting statements/charges. In the letter you need to put your name and address at the time of the bank account being active, they should be able to locate your details from that. Also, give them a contact telephone number - just incase they have queries or to confirm security details.

Good Luck
  • hi
    ive had an old account with natwest which was closed when i was in the red and it was passed to a credit recovery agency it is well within the 6 years you can claim back from can i , and do i just claim as normal as i have already started a claim with my current bank for a couple of hundred but the old natwest account i think would be closer to a thousand pounds

please help

really could do with that money!

thanks
  • Julieoolie
    Julieoolie Posts: 42 Forumite
    lazystakes wrote: »
    hi
    ive had an old account with natwest which was closed when i was in the red and it was passed to a credit recovery agency it is well within the 6 years you can claim back from can i , and do i just claim as normal as i have already started a claim with my current bank for a couple of hundred but the old natwest account i think would be closer to a thousand pounds

please help

really could do with that money!

thanks

Yes you can do this even if the account was closed. Any debt still outstanding from that account would have to be paid back to the bank or credit recovery agency though and if there was anything left over from your refund of charges you would get the remainder. If the amount "in the red" was solely as a result of unfair charges and a default was made against you (which I assume it was if it has gone to a credit recovery agency) then you can (and should) also request that this is removed. Go to the Consumer Action Group site for more information on this. You'll need to subscribe but it's free and easy to do.
  • yes my account is closed and i owe that £900 which is with a debt company but natwest have just agreed to pay me back £1439 but most of that will be to pay back what i owe them but still leaves me with £539 and a cleared debt..
  • nikki.paul
    nikki.paul Posts: 173 Forumite
    I have 2 accounts that defaulted and were passed onto a debt collector unidebt who are still after the money. I owe the natwest £3000 they owe me £7000 I rang natwest (not the number you ring regarding charges) and they agreed to put the debt collectors on hold for 1 month ( thats big of them when they owe me money ) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    get your claim in even if your charges are less than you owe its still money of your debt and we all want to be debt free

nikki
    Avid freecycler (Received Dishwasher, Cooker, 0ver, fridge, freezer and Bathroom suit)

Reclaimed bank charges from natwest £5252.00
    :beer: Dealt with my Debts( still debt free 4 years on yipee:beer:
    Make £2012 in 2012 0027.50/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills