Can I claim back unused car tax?

joey_2
joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
My car was written off by third party, whilst it is still perfectly safe to drive, I have decided to let them take it for salvage as I would lose more money if I go down the v.i.c route. I am waiting for them to get back to me on when they will take it and give me my cheque. However, - I had to buy car tax about a week after the accident - will I be able to claim back the remaining months of car tax once they take the car off me and if so how do I go about this?

Thanks,

Joey. x

Comments

• dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Assuming they haven't taken the value of the car tax into account when making their offer, yes you can.

Get a form from a main Post Office, fill it in and send it off with the disk.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    get a v14 form from the post office - fill in and send with disc together and mail to swansea at the postcode given on the back of the disc.
    or
    bring disc and form to the local dvla office- they will send it on
    or
    if you do not have the disc there seems to be another form you can use. not too sure of this because i haven't done it but it should be on the dvla website.

you will get money back for any full month left on the disc. nothing for partial months. the time of mailing seems to be what they count from.

you need to have the car taxed if it is on the road or make a sorn statement if it is off the road but just make sure you take the disc off before handing the car over as last poster said if it wasn't part of your deal. the other company cannot drive the car on the road unless it is taxed. (so will they be towing it?)
    and be sure to send in the form to transfer ownership- otherwise you will get done for any offence someone else commits with this car. make sure they put in their details and mail off asap to protect yourself. it is a different postcode so you can't mail these forms together. i would make a copy before mailing too as if it gets lost at least you will have some sort of proof- they will confirm receipt within a month.
  • The V14 form can be downloaded from the dvla website

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/V14.pdf
  • The link above appears to be broken.
    Try this one for a list of all the downloadable forms. :hello:

Unfortunately (as a new user) I'm unable to post links :-/

So it's the usual start to a web address followed by dft dot gov dot uk forward slash forms dot aspx
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Grul, hardly surprising that link is broken.
    Why are you posting on a two year old thread?

For anyone looking for the form... try this link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure