MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden?

Options

Comments

• Babbler
    Babbler Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes if they pay part of the morgage as rent.
    Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    My neighbour does thia, she lets the couple who live below her share her garden as they started using it when her flat was empty. I have the garden flat in my block next door and have never even been asked by any upstairs neighbours to share my garden (probably cos its a mess!) I would probably share as long as the used their own airer or such to dry clothes as I use the line every day when its nice. I hardly sit out there anyway so thats alll that would bother me. I think its a personal preference.
  • cozlw
    cozlw Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say no. He pays a premium for the garden and would find it difficult to draw up a rota of who should use the garden and when. If they wanted a flat with garden, they should have moved in there when the previous owner left, not assume that they would be able to continue usage.

I use my garden sporadically and would hate if my neighbours were out there at a time when I have friends round etc and we just want to be outside without sharing the space.
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No , he paid extra for his garden ,
    i was in this postion a few years ago , I was in a first floor flat and got a transfer to a 2 bed house with a garden ,
    the previous tenents were very good friends with the old man next doorwho had a small backyard and had a gate between the 2 gardens so he could pop in and out .
    As this very old man had guns in his house , locked up of course , i was'nt prepared for him to have access to mine ,
    i blocked it up and his carer complained to me about it , but i was within my rights to say no access .
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • matchmade
    Options
    Of course it depends on Karl's lifestyle: if he's unlikely to use it, he should let them continue to use it, but I would draw up a very simple contract rather than rely on goodwill. For example, he must insist that if he has plans to use the garden, his needs take priority. He may become friendly himself with these people over time, but he can't be certain of that.

However, he did pay extra for the garden and this was probably because he intended to use it, either recreationally or to take forward as a proper planted garden. In this case he should politely but firmly say no, because he has his own plans for the garden, is worried about security if they have a key, etc. Otherwise there's just simply too much risk that the neighbours will abuse the facility, have their friends' children round to muck up the lawn, and so on. Karl should have the confidence to insist that the garden is his space and his alone if he intends to use it regulalry and wants to maintain his privacy.

Perhaps suggest they approach the management company of the flats about another location for the clothes line, or devise some other solution. Developers and builders can be very cavalier about providing locations for such practical matters, and the easy solution of a tumble drier is ridicuous in mid-summer, as well as expensive.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are two issues here:

The first one is - does he actually MIND his neighbours using his garden? Would he have still bought it if he'd known this in advance? Does he value good relations with his neighbours more than sole use of his garden? What does he intend to do if he wants to invite friends around for a couple of beers in the garden, in the summer, and the neighbours have hung their washing out ??

The second one is - what's the legal position for the future if he carries on allowing his neighbours to use his garden? Will then, eventually, have the legal right to do so - and how will this affect the purchase price when he wants to sell it on?

In his situation I would get legal advice and then inform the neighbours (in writing) that, regretfully, he can no longer afford to allow them to use the garden because of legal reasons. Then, put up some kind of physical barrier/take down the washing line etc. Best to get things clear from the beginning.
  • carol99_2
    Options
    No he shouldnt. They should have asked him first. The fact they have already assumed they can use the garden without asking means they are already starting to think of it as a right. Stop it now before it gets out of hand:p
  • Liz3yy
    Liz3yy Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say no for the simple reason the new neighbours didnt ask Karl if they could use the garden, they simply assumed they could as the previous owner let them
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
  • Muffcat
    Muffcat Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Many years ago my parents lived in a first-floor flat with no right to use the garden, but as a favour from the owners of the ground floor flat were allowed to use it for ONE MORNING only each week to hang out washing - and if it was raining, tough! This was in the days before tumble dryers, etc but they coped. Sorry, but no way should Karl allow this situation to continue. The fact that the previous owner was friendly with these neighbours does not mean that Karl also has to go beyond basic good neighbourliness (which does not include sharing your garden!) and it is unfair to assume that he would feel the same friendship before actually knowing these people. In fact, the opposite might occur and this unofficial sharing might well lead to unpleasantness between them. Don't do it!
  • RickTyne
    Options
    Karl should explain that he has a contract with BNFL to use his garden as a nuclear waste storage site, so probably best not to hang out their washing for a little while unless they want radioactive Y fronts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure