Home Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Hi guys

The problem I have, is that all the online comparison sites seem to make the assumption that you have never had "special terms or conditions imposed". We did, 8 years ago have a condition that the insurer wouldn't cover for theft from our outbuilding or shed following 2 claims. I'm sure this has probably now lapsed... particularly as the shed etc have now been replaced - but I'm worried that the info may be recorded somewhere in an insurance database, meaning that my insurance may be invalidated. And yet I can't even own up to the special conditions in the past, because there is nowhere to enter the info. One size doesn't fit all! Any suggestions?
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ring your insurer?
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    pps: I recommend the MSE link to the contents calculator it is very helpful and can be amend up or down for each room.

Where is the MSE link to the contents calculator?
  • Rekusu
    Rekusu Posts: 61 Forumite
    I live on the first floor of a maisonette. About seven years ago, we hadd to make a subsidence claim because our entry porch was unsupported' and we had some cracking in the external walls. The neighbour sownstairs had no problems with cracking. It was all fixed with the insurance company and thee has been not problems since. However, I am totally unable to change my insurance company. Mention subsidence when looking for a new, competitive price, and the door slams shut. Is there any way I can get a check / change to another company without lying (which I would not do as I am sure to be discovered at some point.) Can't believe that I have to stay with the same company for as long as we live here! What happens to the household insurance when we sell? Does the new buyer have to stay with to our current company? Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks, Rex
  • Just a note about Martin's reference to the current Birmingham Midshires 'deal' on home insurance. They will NOT give you £75 if they can't beat your renewal quote...what they will do is give you £75 IF their quote is cheaper and IF you then buy from them. As their quote was about £150 more than my current insurer it seem like a lose/lose situation! It's a rather strange offer really - I guess someone thought it up after a long lunch.......
  • We got our quote from AA insurance services for our home & contents renewal recently. The figure quoted was about £400 approx. combined. Out of curiosity, I went to their web-site and did an on-line quote. I was amazed when it came back almost half what we had been quoted by post. I phoned them and asked if they would match this new amount, as I had used exactly the same details as last year. They asked if they could phone back once they had checked everything; they phoned about 20 minutes later and said they would be happy to match the new figure. We have now got (unlimited)buildings cover for £112.91 and contents (up to 40k new for old + accidental etc.) for £100.62! Result!! Must be worth a try...
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Rented house/appartment insurance, which is a good one for that?

For Contents only.

Could anyone help with this. Son took the insurance offered by his last rental company without shopping around or looking at cashback sites.

He's renting and will need to be covered for £10,000 contents and accidental damage. Also, presume it won't be a problem if I pay for him and get the cashback in my name but to cover his rented flat?

Rental company said it would be very difficult to find a company offering household insurance for a rented property and would love to prove them wrong!!

Thanks for any help
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    lulu650 wrote: »
    Rental company said it would be very difficult to find a company offering household insurance for a rented property and would love to prove them wrong!!

Thanks for any help

The above is complete and utter nonsense they're telling you. Contents insurance covers contents of any place you choose to insure, whether you own, rent or stay with friends. Millions of people rent their homes and have no problems arranging their policies, so I think the rental company may be just trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Unless, of course, you are meaning buildings insurance, in which case that is the responsibility of the property owners, who may also be the rental company. A tenant can't usually insure a building they don't own, for obvious reasons :)

I rent and went through cashback sites, eventually got a deal that paid more cashback than the policy cost me, so I actually made £20 profit out of my policy for 2009. :T

Good luck and I hope you can find a good deal. Quite a few out there paying around the £70 mark in cashback for contents insurance only. :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • dbs
    dbs Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a modest semi 3 bedrooms how much should I insure the contents for?

Tried the Hiscox calculator came out at £50 k which seems steep to me what do most people with a semi insure for? Have been doing it for £25000 is this enough?
  • sons_2
    sons_2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    nykmedia wrote: »
    The above is complete and utter nonsense they're telling you. Contents insurance covers contents of any place you choose to insure, whether you own, rent or stay with friends. Millions of people rent their homes and have no problems arranging their policies, so I think the rental company may be just trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Unless, of course, you are meaning buildings insurance, in which case that is the responsibility of the property owners, who may also be the rental company. A tenant can't usually insure a building they don't own, for obvious reasons :)

I rent and went through cashback sites, eventually got a deal that paid more cashback than the policy cost me, so I actually made £20 profit out of my policy for 2009. :T

Good luck and I hope you can find a good deal. Quite a few out there paying around the £70 mark in cashback for contents insurance only. :D

As you say all companies will do contents cover for a rented property, the rental company is talking rubbish. Also as you state someone who is renting does not have an insurable interest in the building so can not get buildings insurance, that would be the responsibility of the owner of the company.
    I am a Financial Adviser.

Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback