Getting a student loan after course has started

Options
My other half is in a really tricky situation. To cut a long story short, she did a part-time degree over 3 years, while working full-time. She applied for an SLC loan to cover her fees in year one and assumed there was no need to reapply after that first year, but it turns out she did need to, and she owes fees for years two and three, because they weren't covered by the SLC. We don't have the savings to be able to pay the fees ourselves, and would like to 'retroactively' apply for SLC funding.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? I'm worried the SLC will just wash their hands of her and the university will demand she pays the money in full, immediately.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can apply after your course has started but not after it's finished. Surely the uni were writing to her about this throughout?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oakeshott wrote: »
    My other half is in a really tricky situation. To cut a long story short, she did a part-time degree over 3 years, while working full-time. She applied for an SLC loan to cover her fees in year one and assumed there was no need to reapply after that first year, but it turns out she did need to, and she owes fees for years two and three, because they weren't covered by the SLC. We don't have the savings to be able to pay the fees ourselves, and would like to 'retroactively' apply for SLC funding.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? I'm worried the SLC will just wash their hands of her and the university will demand she pays the money in full, immediately.

You need to apply within 9 months of the start of the academic year for which you are claiming funding:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1986/regulation/9/made
  • Oakeshott
    Oakeshott Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think they were very diligent about it. They let her carry on into the third year without notifying her of the issue. I think it's partly due to it being a very unusual course. It's basically distance learning with a couple days on campus every few months, and they only started offering it a couple years ago. I get the impression it's not very well administered.

She's on the hook for both the 2016/17 and 2017/18 years, so I wonder if this 9 month rule means she'll only get the retroactive loan for 2017/18, or would it be at the discretion of the SLC to also provide it for 2016/17? I don't know what she'll do if she doesn't get the loan for that year too, because it's for several thousands of pounds and we don't have the money to pay, and won't anytime soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oakeshott wrote: »
    I don't think they were very diligent about it. They let her carry on into the third year without notifying her of the issue. I think it's partly due to it being a very unusual course. It's basically distance learning with a couple days on campus every few months, and they only started offering it a couple years ago. I get the impression it's not very well administered.

She's on the hook for both the 2016/17 and 2017/18 years, so I wonder if this 9 month rule means she'll only get the retroactive loan for 2017/18, or would it be at the discretion of the SLC to also provide it for 2016/17? I don't know what she'll do if she doesn't get the loan for that year too, because it's for several thousands of pounds and we don't have the money to pay, and won't anytime soon.

No it's not at the discretion of the SLC. Loans can't be paid for that period
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    _shel is right, and there would be no point appealing to SFE about 16/17. Appeals are only for instances when you believe that they have incorrectly administered an application and, in your partner's case, they'd be right to refuse an application for support for the 16/17 year.

I'd be thinking of contacting the institution concerned and ask them to set up a payment plan of some sorts with your partner, maybe stressing that they left it so late to let her know of the issues that they bear some responsibility. I suspect they'll say that all other students know to re-apply for funding every year, but I guess you can only try.

I don't want to sound harsh, but I'm not sure how your partner could think she didn't need to re-apply for support in each year. How would the Student Loans Co even know she was even attending? Plenty of people withdraw from their studies, or suspend for a myriad of reasons, and SLC isn't psychic.

Has your partner submitted her application for the current academic year. Best not to wait around, then the university can at least be notified that action is underway.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    If she owes the university any money they will not allow her to graduate until she pays her debt.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    She should had received emails from SLC stating it was time to reapply. I got one every year and as soon as I got it I went online to fill in the application.
    Has she approached the university about a payment plan? With my MA I pay in 3 instalments for the year which helps spread the costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure