Housing association refused my application to run a business from home??

Hi

i want to run my own Cake Business from home and have the space to do so but after asking the Housing association if i could to this, it was a flat no!
they said please read your tenancy agreement as it states no business's to be run from the property..and that was that!
i am so upset as i have always dreamed of having my own business and it is not like my little venture would interfere with anyone one at all, especially my neighbours.
how and where can i now run my little venture, i certainly can not afford a shop and my business would only be a tiny one,no staff just me....
is there anyway i can get round this issue with the housing association?

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately not, you would need to move into private rented accommodation with a landlord that permits you to run a business. Your business could interfere with others as you would need to receive supplies and make deliveries, have meetings with customers and inspectors on site, you could need to take on staff down the line, all this increases traffic. Also it has to be the same rules for everyone.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also what would happen with regard to any amendments that need to be made to the property in particular the kitchen for you to legally be able to sell food products? Having had a friend who set up a cookery business from home I know how (quite rightly) onerous they can be.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If your business is inconspicuous its unlikely they will know. I expect the rule exists to prevent homes being turned into mini factories and to avoid properties intended as housing being misused.
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    It might be unlikely the HA will know but the neighbours will and the OP runs the risk of some spiteful neighbour with a grudge informing the HA, if they do go ahead and start the business.
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tbh, it seems fairly standard practice not to allow a business being run from home.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, you would need to move into private rented accommodation with a landlord that permits you to run a business. Your business could interfere with others as you would need to receive supplies and make deliveries, have meetings with customers and inspectors on site, you could need to take on staff down the line, all this increases traffic. Also it has to be the same rules for everyone.

I'd add to this that you will need to stipulate the type of business. For example, many properties have restrictive covenants that restrict the running of business from home except for certain categories. The allowed categories tend to be administrative - so for example there would be no additional traffic, noise or smells from the property. In the event that a landlord allows you to do this, he/she may not be aware of the covenants so there is still a chance that the resident's company would clamp down, so there are a lot of bases to cover in terms of working from home.

It may still be worth reading the lease where you are. It may give you the scope to do all of the admin work relating to your company from home, even if you have to go elsewhere for the baking.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Also running a cooking business would entail changes to the buildings insurance, there has to be an increased fire risk.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi

i want to run my own Cake Business from home and have the space to do so but after asking the Housing association if i could to this, it was a flat no!
    they said please read your tenancy agreement as it states no business's to be run from the property..and that was that!
    i am so upset as i have always dreamed of having my own business and it is not like my little venture would interfere with anyone one at all, especially my neighbours.
    how and where can i now run my little venture, i certainly can not afford a shop and my business would only be a tiny one,no staff just me....

Find a suitable business premises to run your new business from :)

Good luck in your new business venture!
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Hi

Hi blackwidow22 - unfortunately we're not covering questions on running a business from home. We'd suggest contacting your local bureau for help in the areas that they can cover.

There's also the Federation of Small Businesses - and they run a helpline as well as having a website with all sorts of information and resources.

You may also be interested in this Government Home Business Guide (produced by the Dept for Business, Innovation & Skills).
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2012 at 3:12PM
    This goes to show you can't make your cake and sell it.....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport