National Trust Membership

Options

Comments

• Gumpy
    Options
    We have an NTS membership and have not had problems with Hardwick Hall main car park but cannot scan our card in the car park machines, we took a chance and left the car as we have the window sticker. I am hoping when our card renews in May it may have the same style code instead of the bar code.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should have joined the Malta National Trust. Save even more.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The door staff at National Trust properties are often volunteers working for the charity. They don't have turnstiles. I am sure you could just barge your way past them and refuse to pay. Even if they called the police the police are unlikely to arrest you for viewing a National Trust property without paying. Is it even an offence?
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2019 at 9:33PM
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    The door staff at National Trust properties are often volunteers working for the charity. They don't have turnstiles. I am sure you could just barge your way past them and refuse to pay. Even if they called the police the police are unlikely to arrest you for viewing a National Trust property without paying. Is it even an offence?

That would not work, unless you have a reciprocal arrangement in place allowing National Trust volunteers to barge past you and gain entry to your house. And it would be an offence - trespass, and possibly also assault and/or battery (though I'm no lawyer)

Thankfully the Scottish/Maltese/NZ heritage organisations do have reciprocal arrangements in place (with full knowledge and agreement of the NT) where members can gain access free of charge to NT properties (and vice versa), which is why membership of these organisations allows free access to NT properties without having to trespass, or assault a NT volunteer!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 18 March 2019 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    You should have joined the Malta National Trust. Save even more.

NZ card also gets membership to English heritage, Malta card does not so works out more expensive

I am also a sinner and buy NZ family card approx £55 would be £226 if bought from both sites :shocked:
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    assault a NT volunteer!

I never suggested assaulting anyone. I am sure you could just walk past them and say "I am not paying your prices. I'll buy a coffee in your shop afterwards." That is what stan in devon has always suggested. Buying a coffee should mean free or cheap admission.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I never suggested assaulting anyone. I am sure you could just walk past them and say "I am not paying your prices. I'll buy a coffee in your shop afterwards." That is what stan in devon has always suggested. Buying a coffee should mean free or cheap admission.

Your previous post 34, you say "barge past", not "walk past"

"Barge" verb
    1.move forcefully or roughly. synonyms: push, shove, force, elbow, shoulder, jostle, bludgeon, bulldoze, muscle

Could be assault and\or battery.

Even if you walk past rather than barging past it's still trespass as you would have no right to be there.

With a NZ\Maltese\Scottish card you have every right to be there: no trespass, no need to barge or walk past saying: "I'm not paying".

Just show your legitimate card, smile and exchange pleasantries with the NT volunteer.

Everyone's happy :j
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NT are the very epitome of the blob. Over salaried, over indulged, leeching off the generosity of the boomer generation.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Any issues parking in english places using the scottish membership?

Going away to scotland soon so would be useful to have both.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry stan - wasn't aware of reciprocal rights and was just going off what I'd been told.

Some attraction in the slightly cheaper cost of the scottish, but not sure that the hassle you might get off the volunteers would be worth it...

as a thought, with the introduction of QR readers - what's to stop people applying for the £36 youth card to use for parking only?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure