Halifax Mortgage PPI?

I was told some years ago, that if someone had an endowment mortgage, then they paid no PPI.....is this correct ?......I had such a mortgage back in the eighties with Halifax, unfortunately I can remember no other details of it at all, except that when the house was sold in the early nineties then we stopped paying, and thought no more about it.....any advice welcome.......Jack.
Retired (Early) April 2015

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was told some years ago, that if someone had an endowment mortgage, then they paid no PPI.....is this correct ?.

No that is not correct. The type of mortgage had no impact on whether you had PPI or not.

However, some people think their life assurance is PPI. It is not. So, if you asked did your endowment have PPI then the answer would be no. It's not possible for an endowment to have PPI. However, your mortgage may have had PPI. This would typically be identified as a separate direct debit to the mortgage and the endowment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for that.....still confused though....is there any point in contacting Halifax ?....it was a long time ago....Jack.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What is your misselling complaint?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jack_Itin wrote: »
    Thanks for that.....still confused though....is there any point in contacting Halifax ?....it was a long time ago....Jack.

You can contact them.

Of course, they may not have any records after all these years. And many of their 80s sales were not sold by their staff but by a local broker visiting their office (I used to go into the branches back in the day to do insurances and I was not a Halifax employee). They dont know what you did with third party companies. Then you have the case that most MPPI policies are not missold. You dont actually mention any complaint reasons.

So, as it stands, you are looking at something that doesnt sound like it existed but you are not sure. Going back over 30 years ago and about a product type that sees more complaints rejected than accepted. So, possible but odds low.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • That's the thing, I don't know for sure that I have anything to complain about.....it would seem that I may be "clutching at straws".....it's just that with so much talk about it, it made me wonder......Jack.
  • "clutching at straws"
    From what you've said so far, it does appear that way . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure