attendance allowance- will my dad get it?

my dad is in his 80's and lives alone with the help of me and my sister. He has some form of dementia and has been referred to a memory clinic although i know that his short term memory has completly gone- he can phone me 30 times in 10 minutes to tell me the same thing for example. Between us we get his meals - microwave only during week as he cant be trusted with cooker- and the weekend he spends with us. we have to constantly call him to eat, take his tablets etc. he has had a few falls lately with being in hospital once but generally is ok. we have power of attorney for health and finance as he was constantly phoning his bank for new bank cards

the application form says that he needs at least 3 times of help throughout the day and wondering if this would qualify as that? has anyone applied and had it refused for any reason. i would love to hear if you have

Comments

• The best people to help with AA are usually AGE UK, who will even help with filling the forms in.

As an aside have you asked social services to assess him? He may be able to get carers to call in on a regular basis but this is usually charged for now on a means test basis.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with venison AgeUK are good.

Here is some information on the criteria for AA

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/before-you-claim-attendance-allowance/check-if-entitled-to-attendance-allowance/

with links to how to claim it etc

To be honest I would say what have you got to lose by making a claim
  • Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    had help from the alzheimers society when I made a claim for my dad. I was told by them that more often than not, the first claim was turned down. Apply again straight away and the second time it usually gets accepted. Good luck.
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 12:18PM
    Hi Mrs Baggins,

From the information you've given I think your Dad would qualify for Attendance Allowance, based on the fact he needs prompting to take medication, help to prepare meals, assistance to get out and about and remain independent.

I found applying for AA online a compete pain, but if you call DWP to request a form it will bear a date stamp showing when it needs to be returned by, which is six weeks from issue. If your claim is successful it will be backdated to the date the form was issued. I completed Dad's application (he has Alzheimers) as I too have an LPA. I didn't find it difficult and was successful on the first application. However, I do agree that getting some help with completing the form is a good suggestion.

If your Dad is formally diagnosed with a Serious Mental Impairment (SMI) and meets other eligibility criteria (being eligible for AA is one of them; you don't have to be claiming), you could also apply to his local authority for a Council Tax SMI Disregard for him. If he lives alone this will reduce his Council Tax significantly; in my Dad's case he no longer has to pay any Council Tax and all payments he had made for the current year have been refunded. Here's a link to Martin's guide on SMI Disregards

I'm sorry that I confused the two application processes (AA and SMI Disregard) in my original post.

The AA application form explains that the DWP "may want to contact your Dad's GP, or the people/organisations involved with him for information about his claim. You don't have to agree to this, but if you don't DWP may be unable to make sure Dad is entitled to the benefit you're claiming".

Our local authority required that Dad's GP completed and signed a form to confirm the date of his diagnosis with and SMI before they would consider the claim.

I hope that's a help and wish you and your Dad all the very best.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Each time we have asked social services for help, I'm pleased to say it has been made available (and in our case for free).
    Decades ago they would say tough it's down to the family, now they recognise that peple have jobs, children etc. and don't necessarily live nearby and recognise it's cheaper to provide home help (about £15 per hour in our area) than the alternative of a nursing home (£800 per week in our area).
    So this may be a route to go down. Help can be provided up to 4 times per day and they do try to keep the same people who he will get to know and will get to know him (obviously it's not possible to have the same people all the time as they have days off, sickness etc.).
  • TheOne123,

Thank you for pointing out that I had confused the criteria for applying for AA and SMI in my original response to the OP. I'm sorry you felt it necessary to be so rude in so doing.

I've amended my original post and apologised to the OP for any confusion caused.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2018 at 2:42PM
    "he can phone me 30 times in 10 minutes to tell me the same thing for example. Between us we get his meals - microwave only during week as he cant be trusted with cooker- and the weekend he spends with us. we have to constantly call him to eat, take his tablets etc. he has had a few falls lately with being in hospital once but generally is ok. we have power of attorney for health and finance as he was constantly phoning his bank for new bank cards"

The help he needs should more than satisfy the 3 times during the day criteria.
    AA looks at personal care needs (such as taking medication, eating, washing, etc) it doesn't include help with shopping, household tasks, etc. Nor does it look at walking outside or cooking a meal.
    Care / Supervision / Attention counts if it is given in the claimant's presence (a phone call reminder doesn't count).

Read the guides carefully, or get help with the form.

Does he need supervision during night time hours to ensure his safety? That he doesn't wander off? Or help getting to the toilet during night hours? Would the Higher rate apply because of the need for day and night time care?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs34_attendance_allowance_fcs.pdf
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • TheOne123,

Thank you for pointing out that I had confused the criteria for applying for AA and SMI in my original response to the OP. I'm sorry you felt it necessary to be so rude in so doing.

I've amended my original post and apologised to the OP for any confusion caused.

Well said, Placitasgirl. And considering TheOne123 has only just joined MSE, I am as surprised as you that they felt the need to be so rude. The only other poster I can remember acting like this was andyandflo, and his numerous aliases!
  • You need to get out more, you clearly spend too much time on these boards and think that different people are posting under various usernames.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure