Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

1404142434446»

Comments

• RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The intake scores don't actually mean much, though. They were for last year and aren't a good predictor of this year. Taken over several years, it *may* give an idea of the possible range of scores, but a single year doesn't help.
  • Another bump for this seeing as the test results are on Saturday. Really surprised there was no thread for it this year on MSE.
  • My grandson is taking the transfer test this year. I found a site called transfertests.co.uk which were the least expensive compared to the other sites that were mentioned. They also offer free postage.
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    when my child was doing It 3 years ago the score needed was High In his choice of School last year they had fallen by 5 marks and this year by 6 really Unfair Has anyone else had this?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • RikM
    when my child was doing It 3 years ago the score needed was High In his choice of School last year they had fallen by 5 marks and this year by 6 really Unfair Has anyone else had this?

You may be misunderstanding how it works...
    The scores in the particular year that are accepted by a school will be controlled by (a) the overall scores for the year and (b) the number of applications to the school. So you can't really look at a score level for one year and compare it with a different year, because they might be equivalent scores (the system is not set up to standardise between years) and the school's "popularity" may have changed.
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know how It works I am just stating That the score has fallen down over the last two years His year was a High Birth Year
    I do believe The system Is No Better Than the 11 plus
    some may Disagree?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • RikM
    I know how It works I am just stating That the score has fallen down over the last two years His year was a High Birth Year
    I do believe The system Is No Better Than the 11 plus
    some may Disagree?
    I was just pointing out that "fair" isn't something you can judge from the falling scores, as he didn't sit it in those years.

I can't comment on the 11+, having no experience of it at all, but I'd agree that the current system isn't good. Less the actual tests (which seem unobjectionable) than the way the scores are massaged afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure