PIP Assessment

Options

Comments

• beegee455
    Options
    Well I!!!8217;ve lost my mobility and my care has been reduced. So I was getting 420 per month and now it!!!8217;s 220.

I feel I should have maintained my higher rate care as did the test above. My mobility was lower rate and felt it could have been touch and go.

What is the procedure to see if they will at least give me my higher rate care as I am adamant I require this for sure
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You always have the right to call them up and ask for a mandatory reconsideration.
    Take their score points where you disagree with their decision and clarify how you can't do that activity as easily as stated.
    If you have someone who has experience with MR's then get them to help you. I was 1 of the lucky few that had my decision overturned at MR.

Check the date of the their decision notice as I received mine nearly 2 weeks after the date and you have to return the MR within 4 weeks of that date, If you need more time then phone them up they usually will allow a 28 day extension.
  • White_musk
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I totally agree with everything Kingfisher said above. I applied for PIP for my daughter a few months ago. She also has a learning disability, Social Anxiety disorder and ASD. She's 16 years old and has never been outside the front door alone. She wouldn't have the capacity to do so. I sent in masses of evidence, from Disabilities team, College reports, EHCP reports, CAMH's reports. When at college she has one 2 one support the whole time she's there. Each of those reports had in detail every single one of those descriptors that applied to her and why. On the PIP test she scored 12 on the mobility following and planning a journey and 30 on the Daily Living part. She still had to have an assessment.

Her PIP report was honest but after reading it again i noticed that there were condradictions and she didn't score what she should have scored. Her award was Enhanced for both so no point in challenging that decision but i'll certainly be watching out for that at review in 1 years time.

Some people have managed an award without evidence, so i've read. I've no idea how they did this. I can't tell you enough how important it is to send in that evidence.

Good luck and let us know what you scored on the PIP self test.

I did mine with no evidence. Granted I lost all of my DLA high rate care and high rate mobility but was awarded enhanced care and enhanced mobility at tribunal. They went by what I said, how I presented and past medical evidence (from my DLA claim) which said I have a progressive condition that will get worse never improve.

Disclaimer, my award was for physical disability not mental illness.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    White_musk wrote: »
    I did mine with no evidence. Granted I lost all of my DLA high rate care and high rate mobility but was awarded enhanced care and enhanced mobility at tribunal. They went by what I said, how I presented and past medical evidence (from my DLA claim) which said I have a progressive condition that will get worse never improve.

Disclaimer, my award was for physical disability not mental illness.
    As you stated, you did have evidence in your DLA file.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    beegee455 wrote: »
    Well I!!!8217;ve lost my mobility and my care has been reduced. So I was getting 420 per month and now it!!!8217;s 220.

I feel I should have maintained my higher rate care as did the test above. My mobility was lower rate and felt it could have been touch and go.

What is the procedure to see if they will at least give me my higher rate care as I am adamant I require this for sure
    You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for the MR. If you don't have a copy of the assessment report i'd advice ringing DWP to ask them to send you this. You'll need to put your MR request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you tink you should have scored those points. The PIP self test is purely just a guide and it doesn't mean you'll actually score those points. Evidence will be needed.

Asking for the MR they will look at the whole award again and not just part of it, so you do risk losing everything you already have.

Only 20% of MR decisions are successful, so be prepared to take it to Tribunal. If you do have to take it this far then appearing in person is your best chance of a decision in your favour. 65% of those who appear have a decision in their favour. It's much lless for those who have a paper based decision. Good luck.
  • White_musk
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As you stated, you did have evidence in your DLA file.

True. What I meant was I had no current evidence and my DLA evidence is over 20 years old. I do fully agree with you that doing it without evidence is very difficult, much better to provide as much as possible.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • beegee455
    Options
    Well I have scored 11 points on daily living. That!!!8217;s just 1 point away from higher rate.

Should I appeal? What is the process for MR?
  • poppy12345
    Options
    beegee455 wrote: »
    Well I have scored 11 points on daily living. That!!!8217;s just 1 point away from higher rate.

Should I appeal? What is the process for MR?
    You have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for the MR. You should put this in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you schould have scored those points. The ssessment report is very useful at this point. Send more evidence to support your claim, if possible.

There is a risk because you can lose everything you already have. Your award can also stay the same or be increased. Mostly MRs stay the same.

You'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. If you do get this far appearing in person is your best chance of success. Good luck.
  • beegee455
    beegee455 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    How do i go about applying for MR?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    You have to contact the DWP within a month of the date on your award letter. Based on the dates of your posts here you might be out of time. Phone them and say you want a mandatory reconsideration then follow up with a letter explaining which points you feel you should get and why.

I don't know if it's possible to submit late.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure