Energy supplier - date of birth

Hi,
I will contacting an energy supplier soon to set up an account.

They tend to ask for a date of birth, but I generally try to give out as little sensitive information as possible (especially in these days of high profile hacks), so I'm tempted to refuse or give a fake date.

However, because this is an energy supplier, and therefore credit related, is it potentially problematic to do so?

I have seen comments elsewhere suggesting that this could trigger fraud flags.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Just give them your date of birth?

Giving false information is illegal
  • !!! wrote: »
    Just give them your date of birth?

Thanks. I'll give it to them, if I need to, but I still have my Equifax "sorry you've been hacked" letter on my desk, so if I can avoid it I will :)

When you say it is illegal to give false information, do you mean to an energy supplier and/or when credit is involved?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It all depends on if the supplier reports to the CRAs or credit checks you. Many don't and it would not be a problem but if it is one of those that do then a whole can of worms could be opened.
  • Thanks. I'll give it to them, if I need to, but I still have my Equifax "sorry you've been hacked" letter on my desk, so if I can avoid it I will :)

When you say it is illegal to give false information, do you mean to an energy supplier and/or when credit is involved?

To anyone.....
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Oh, ah, do you think someone may query my security answers. Maybe they should doubt my mother's maiden name really was "T2PH2m3QapdHZhymMmengkwE" and even I have trouble remembering my first school was "Aj8gvT4ecuasfLcfW8FZctbp" :)
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    chiny wrote: »
    Oh, ah, do you think someone may query my security answers. Maybe they should doubt my mother's maiden name really was "T2PH2m3QapdHZhymMmengkwE" and even I have trouble remembering my first school was "Aj8gvT4ecuasfLcfW8FZctbp" :)
    I went to that school too, but I don’t remember anyone with that surname.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    Just give them your date of birth?

Depends on the context, and given that companies have a habit of losing this type of information I would say it's almost becoming necessary to give a false one.

Ask them this: "why do you want my date of birth". Almost certainly the answer will be "for security, so that when we contact you, or you contact us, we can verify your identity." To which you should reply, "no problem, for data protection and my own security I'll give you a memorable date instead". I did this with BT - not an issue at all.
  • tenchy wrote: »
    Depends on the context, and given that companies have a habit of losing this type of information I would say it's almost becoming necessary to give a false one.

Quite. There is no dishonest intent here, just self protection. Still, if it's anything to do with credit, I do get concerned.
    tenchy wrote: »
    Ask them this: "why do you want my date of birth". Almost certainly the answer will be "for security, so that when we contact you, or you contact us, we can verify your identity." To which you should reply, "no problem, for data protection and my own security I'll give you a memorable date instead". I did this with BT - not an issue at all.

Thanks, that's extremely useful. I will try that, then there's no suggestion of fraud and I can check if they use it for credit checks. It does rely upon the rep knowing what they are talking about, though.

I won't rehash the often discussed studity of every company using the same "unique" information that "only the real person would know", suffice to say that my mum also has some very weird maiden names. :)
  • chiny wrote: »

But there's a difference between your personal details and a memorable place, name etc.

To even post such a comparison is rather worrying...
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They tend to ask for a date of birth, but I generally try to give out as little sensitive information as possible (especially in these days of high profile hacks), so I'm tempted to refuse or give a fake date.

I wouldn't consider your date of birth as particularly sensitive information. If it was sensitive then nobody would celebrate their birthday and tell everyone how old they are!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure