Faulty Satellite box retailer fobbing me off to manufacturer

nobby20
nobby20 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 13 July 2017 at 1:08PM in Consumer rights
Hi guys

My Satellite box gave up the ghost on Saturday and is no longer usable at all. It powers on and there is a white light on the front but doesn't work apart from that.

It was purchased from an online retailer in March 2014 for £409

After a little research I have found that a few people have had this problem before and it was been put down to a capacitor issue on the motherboard.

I emailed the retailer i purchased it from (online) explaining my problem stating the sale of goods act 1979 saying that i want the box to be repaired whilst waiting for a reply from them I also emailed the manufacturer to see if it could be repaired and at was cost they emailed me back saying it was a motherboard issue and i might as well buy a new box as the cost of replacing the motherboard is about the same.

Today I received a letter response from the retailer saying they only honour the 2 year warranty and suggest that i contact the manufacturer direct. They are rejecting the claim that they should be held responsible

I know it is the retailers responsibility but what should i do now?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't bother, you've had over 4 years use from it which is reasonable for something like a satellite set-top box and even if you did get them to provide a remedy as such they may just offer a partial refund which will be a tiny fraction given it's age. Hardly worth the hassle in this instance bearing in mind the onus is on you to prove that the fault is inherent to manufacture.
  • nobby20
    Just to clarify I put the wrong purchasing date in the Original Post it was March 2014 I bought the box.

The motherboard has been an issue for more than just me as Ive said so i don't think i should leave it as I believe the fault was always there.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes it's the retailer that your consumer rights lie with, but to get anything from them you're going to have to provide independent evidence that the fault is inherent. If you can do that then they will either have to repair, replace or refund, and I'd guess that a partial refund is the most likely outcome - if you get £100 (plus the cost of the report) I think you'll be doing quite well.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nobby20 wrote: »
    Just to clarify I put the wrong purchasing date in the Original Post it was March 2014 I bought the box.

The motherboard has been an issue for more than just me as Ive said so i don't think i should leave it as I believe the fault was always there.

Its not enough to believe that there was an inherent fault, you have to prove it and anecdotal evidence from the internet doesn't count. Its up to you whether you want to risk throwing away money on commissioning a report.
  • nobby20
    I appreciate that. I did email the manufacturer and without even inspecting my box they stated that it was a motherboard issue. How would they know that if it wasn't an inherent problem.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    I appreciate that. I did email the manufacturer and without even inspecting my box they stated that it was a motherboard issue. How would they know that if it wasn't an inherent problem.
    but that is just an assumption given what you told them, to prove it is an inherent fault (present at time of purchase) you would need an independent report (which means an engineer looking at the box). I bet that the price of the box today is far less than the £409 you paid in 2014. it would be cheaper and less hassle just to purchase a new box.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

A motherboard issue could well be caused by a manufacturing defect such as bad soldering or a poor quality component but it could equally be caused by:
    Dropping or knocking the unit,
    spilling water or other liquid on it,
    a voltage spike from poorly regulated mains,
    lightening damage.
    etc.

This is why you will need proof of exactly what has fail but more importantly, why it failed.
  • nobby20
    Appreciate that and I do understand although obviously from my point of view I know how well its been looked after as I have OCD
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2017 at 3:05PM

Did the manufacturer actually say it wasn't an inherent fault then?

Even if your problem is due to an inherent fault, the manufacturer does not need to put it right. The manufacturer owes you nothing beyond any guarantee/warranty they may supply.

If you want to pursue this you'll need to get a report. Something along the lines of stating what the problem is, e.g. blown capacitor, and that in the opinion of the inspector, that was most likely caused by e.g. a poor quality component that has failed.

What is the make and model of this box?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Appreciate that and I do understand although obviously from my point of view I know how well its been looked after as I have OCD
    yes but they will still need a written engineers report on what has failed and why
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure