I've quit everything. Now what ?

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Slow and steady AC = that's the way to go. I painted the back fence on Sunday (4 panels) made harder by everything growing which meant I had to use old compost bags to protect the plants. Very happy with how it looks but I suffered a little yesterday with my back. Doing the swap from winter to summer clothes today. A bit premature maybe but I don't have a big enough wardrobe/drawers to have everything out so I swap them into a suitcase under the bed. I use those vacuum bags and it's quite fascinating watching it shrink with all your stuff inside (small things please me). Have left a few jumpers out but as far as I am concerned summer is a'coming, and the leaves are sweetly blooming, and the wild mountain thyme grows around the purple heather... tra-la-la. Well no wild mountain thyme here in E Midlands but I do have a circular bed filled with various thyme plants so that nearly counts even if it is a bit too chilly to sit outside today.
    Re bathrooms - some of the plumbing places can be expensive but I have heard a couple of good reports about B&Q. Try to get at least 3 quotes as it is surprising how different they can be.
    Re carpets - have you tried pulling back a corner to see if there are floorboards underneath. I personally love stripped (or painted) floorboards. Really regret having the flooring I have here (engineered oak boards) - they weren't laid very well either but it was a "friend of a friend" job and I was trying to keep costs down. Wish I had waited and paid out extra to have better job done. You live and learn.
    Happy painting AC - don't eat too many hot cross bunnies!
  • I've seen those shrinking bags on tv . They look great :) I think they have a little pump thing like an imflateable bed iirc.

A bit breezy here. I caught a bit of the sun the last few days . Probably just as well , to keep,out of it today :)

Speaking of flowers: I'm,not keen on the flowers the landlady gave me . Too big and overpowering tbh. Should've got me Chocs .
    I'll look after them best I can tho .

I'll check floorboards at some stage. The only thing that puts me off , is spiders may get through the slats . Maybe me over analysing .

I almost fall asleep,in the settee here . I say almost , but the settee is a bit spongey like a bouncy castle . And the arms are a bit stiff.
    I do miss my furniture .

I'm painting slowly but surely. Im in a funny situation really .
    In one way , I have around 6 weeks to get everything sorted.
    In another way, it's not that easy as I have to get the bathroom done
    I think if I have that completed by mid may, then there is no pressure
    It's finding someone,and working around their pattern etc.
    Then of course, it's getting wardrobes / cupboards etc.
    I'll have to check with big yellow as to how much notice I give.
    I think it's 2 weeks .

My friend thinks I should ask our other friend ( we know many, nut we're scateted) to see if he can help with the move , have a beer or 2 and crash over . Unfortunately, his dad who,isninmhis '90s is in hospital and lives in Blackpool . My friend lives in Farnham .
    I obviously said no , as it wouldn't be fair to him .
    So,I'll probaly get someone local in the last week of may.
  • dreaming
    I've seen those shrinking bags on tv . They look great :) I think they have a little pump thing like an imflateable bed iirc.

A bit breezy here. I caught a bit of the sun the last few days . Probably just as well , to keep,out of it today :)

Speaking of flowers: I'm,not keen on the flowers the landlady gave me . Too big and overpowering tbh. Should've got me Chocs .
    I'll look after them best I can tho .

I'll check floorboards at some stage. The only thing that puts me off , is spiders may get through the slats . Maybe me over analysing .

I almost fall asleep,in the settee here . I say almost , but the settee is a bit spongey like a bouncy castle . And the arms are a bit stiff.
    I do miss my furniture .

I'm painting slowly but surely. Im in a funny situation really .
    In one way , I have around 6 weeks to get everything sorted.
    In another way, it's not that easy as I have to get the bathroom done
    I think if I have that completed by mid may, then there is no pressure
    It's finding someone,and working around their pattern etc.
    Then of course, it's getting wardrobes / cupboards etc.
    I'll have to check with big yellow as to how much notice I give.
    I think it's 2 weeks .

My friend thinks I should ask our other friend ( we know many, nut we're scateted) to see if he can help with the move , have a beer or 2 and crash over . Unfortunately, his dad who,isninmhis '90s is in hospital and lives in Blackpool . My friend lives in Farnham .
    I obviously said no , as it wouldn't be fair to him .
    So,I'll probaly get someone local in the last week of may.

The shrinking bags are even simpler than that - you just use the vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck the air out. The only thing is trying to fold stuff reasonable well as they do get a bit crinkled otherwise.

I don't mind spiders too much - don't think they necessarily come through the floorboards - but you can use papier mache to seal any gaps in (or I think you can buy wood strips) although I prefer to see it "au naturel" as long as the gaps aren't too big.. The boards in my last house had a couple of gouges but I thought they added to the character. I just used a clear satin varnish.

I'm not a great fan of cut flowers. I don't really have anywhere to display them and they are always in danger of being knocked over (or eaten) by the cat, who seems to have perked up no end. Chocs aren't much use to me either though as I only like a very small range. I do however love Easter egg chocolate - something to do with the thin-ness of the choc. Don't expect I'll get one bought for me though - just as well really as the weight-loss isn't going well at all.
  • I can imagine Alfie peeing in your vase.
    My ex bought me flowers years ago, and my cat destroyed them in next to no time . Peed in to the vase as well :)
  • So, I slept marginally better last night .
    Got up earlier, and watched some more frasier . Must admit I'm impressed with myself for not watching any other daytime tv since I've been off . Having said that , because of the various jobs I did over the years I've hardly seen any breakfast to at all .

Speaking of jobs ( and this is the last I will say about the last place I left ), I received a Facebook friend request from my ex colleague .
    Well he does suffer from narcissistic personality disorder , so,I shouldn't be too surprised . It has now been removed :)
    The good news so far, is the tea lady hasn't phoned me like I thought she would . She phoned me a couple of times, but must've taken the hint. I'll block her phone no. Probably next month.
    Regarding Facebook : I only use it about once or twice a year. When I do go,on it , it always seems to change . I can only stand enough pokes in my life than to be constantly reminded about who poked me etc .
    While looking in my photos on my iPad , I came across my disciplinary letters . The company sensationalised the incident I was involved in with h r (or in humane resources as I call them ). I was 'borderline out of control' . On one hand it made me laugh. On the other, it was a total liberty and out of order what was said . I do remember at the hearing ' you were going on for some considerable time, almost half an hour,' I just told the truth and told them 'no, actually it was over half an hour .' Still that's all gone now .:)

So I painted the second coat in the gas room today . There will probably need a little touching up,but it was all wet when I left .
    I'll probably have a breather tomorrow , and may do another room on Friday . I notice my arms get more tired now with this condition .
    Still, what else am I doing?:)

I phoned that company that' I left an email with, regarding quote for new bathroom. The guy is away until 1 may. This means I have gotta look and get quotes asap.
    I will also have to look into getting furniture sorted .
    Lots to keep,me going :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Went to IKEA yesterday. Got a whole trolley load of stufff for just under £100. I do love that shop.:D

AC I had a look at the kitchens. They sell all components seperately so you can mix And match to your hearts intent, replacing/upgrading exactly to suit your tastes and needs. They have some lovely glossy cabinet doors from just £18, some great colours. I reckon you could upgrade the doors, handles, worktops, fancy tap etc for a very reasonable outlay.

I was impressed.

Again same with wardrobes. Lots of new designs since I went last and some great interior fitment ideas.

I am soooo looking forward to getting my own place and doing another revamp. I'm bursting with ideas and positively itching to get started. After my holiday.

AC. Try not to dwell on the past. Put it behind you. It's dragging you down. It won't do you any good to keep rehashing it all and reliving old hurts and slights.

Remember......."That was then and this is now"

Live in the now and look forward to a happy and contented future.

Envisage it.

Paint a picture in your minds eye of what you want, how you want to live your life, what you want to achieve, how to make your dreams come true and achieve your hearts desires.

Make up a mood board of images which capture the essence of how you want to live. Could be anything........as long as it's important and meaningful to you.

Then draw up a plan of attack, make a to do list of the steps you need to take.

Don't look back.......you are not travelling in that direction.;)

Dreams can come true, but they do need a bit of input from us. They don't just happen and they don't stand a chance if you are still stuck in the past. We have to give them a helping hand.

I know it can be hard to let go of the past at times. There isnt a day that goes by that i don't wish I could turn back the clock and have my husband by my side, hale and hearty again.

But we must turn our backs on the past. If we are to have a happy future and live contented and fulfilled lives then we have to let go. We can't let the past hold us prisoners.

So forget about your old job, your colleagues, how badly you feel you were treated, how your brother was a right royal pain in the derrerie and on and on and on.

What's the point of dredging it all up again. It's like constantly picking at a scab and not allowing the wound to heal. Yes a gruesome comparison but a true one.

Leave the past where it belongs.......in the past and get on with making your "nest" nice and welcoming for when you move in.
  • Hi LL:)
    Actually , believe it or not , I am a person who always looks forward and not to look back . I think,it was the friend request which just coincided with me looking for a photo on my iPad .
    It's all over now . I feel much better about everything . Obviously apprehensive about new job later on and meeting new people.

Glad you are focused on your new place wherever and whenever it may be :) Ikea is great . My nearest one is southampton.
    I may go down there for picture frames of all things.
    The ones I have at present are large chunky ones from habitat.
    TBH , I want lighter ones . The flat I'm in now has nice ones that would suit me.

I need to get wardrobes fairly soon . I want ones self assembled tho,
    So straight in and no,nonsense .
    I'm enjoying looking at things that give me ideas.
    The more I go to the flat, the more I'm taking to it .

Just contacted 2 bathroom places for quotes .
    Phoned 1 guy up, he seemed busy but keen and asked me to email him . The other was just a straight forward email.

All going on :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you mean ready assembled wardrobes .....so you don't have to put them together. ;)

Self assembled means either buy them in kit form and you build them or get someone else to do it for you.

TBH assembling flatpack furniture is not always as easy as it looks although IKEA stuff is much easier than it used to be. They even print instructions now. :rotfl:

One thing about IKEA though is that delivery charges can be high so you need to make sure you get it all in one load.

Are you getting the bathroom as a "package". I.e. Supply and fit. It might be cheaper to find a plumber and get them to quote for the work. Then either you buy your fixtures and fittings yourself (some great online companies selling at less than the DIY sheds) or your chosen plumber will order them for you. He will be able to get a discount which he should pass on to you.

Exciting stuff.
  • dreaming
    I can imagine Alfie peeing in your vase.
    My ex bought me flowers years ago, and my cat destroyed them in next to no time . Peed in to the vase as well :)

Alfie says "how dare you". He'd like you to know that he is much too dignified for that sort of behaviour, although if there is cheese going he doesn't mind a bit of begging and looking cute.

Agree with LL re shopping around for bathroom quotes. The thing is though you have to know exactly what you want so think hard if you want to keep the bath and have shower over it, or whether you want to go for a good sized shower cubicle.

Re wardrobes (and any other furniture) - make sure they will go in the property if they are ready assembled. A friend of mine fell in love with a lovely solid wood, triple wardrobe with a mirror in the middle door in the sales, but it wouldn't go in her house. She ended up paying someone to dis-assemble and re-assemble it but in the meantime the mirror got broken. It ended up costing quite a bit.
  • Great ideas again ll /dreaming :)
    Yes , ready assembled sounds right :)
    As for the bathroom , I'll see what the options are when discussed with the people I see.
    Good point about making sure that furniture fits through doors ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure