The Ultimate Mortgage Calculator discussion

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    RedMonty wrote: »
    FAULT REPORT

I'm trying to work out if I should go for an offset remortgage, & your calculator isn't helping much.

I reported probles with the calculator months ago don't think any got fixed

It just does not do the job and makes this worse because you cannot use the answers.

poor specification.
  • getmore4less
    Bob_Bobson wrote: »
    How does the mortgage calculator actually work? I have created a spreadsheet that ought to do the exact same thing, but all of my monthly payments come out to be nearly double what they should be!

The formula I am using is:

((Annual interest rate^Years left on mortgage)*Initial loan)/(Years left on mortgage*12)

So for a mortgage of 100,000 over 20 years at a rate of 5%:

(1.05^20)*100,000/(20*12)

The monthly repayment though comes out at £1106, which is clearly not right. I'm guessing I'm not accounting for the interest paid off during the mortgage period, but I have no idea what the formula would be to factor that in. Can anyone help?

spreadshhets have a build in function to do it.

look up amotization calculations loads on wiki

cross check using a simple calculator I use
    http://www.whatsthecost.com/mortgage.aspx

I think you main problem is you are doing it annualy and you need to so it monthly(interest/12) for monthly payments.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bob_Bobson wrote: »
    How does the mortgage calculator actually work? I have created a spreadsheet that ought to do the exact same thing, but all of my monthly payments come out to be nearly double what they should be!

The formula I am using is:

((Annual interest rate^Years left on mortgage)*Initial loan)/(Years left on mortgage*12)

So for a mortgage of 100,000 over 20 years at a rate of 5%:

(1.05^20)*100,000/(20*12)

The monthly repayment though comes out at £1106, which is clearly not right. I'm guessing I'm not accounting for the interest paid off during the mortgage period, but I have no idea what the formula would be to factor that in. Can anyone help?
    Don't know, but the actual monthly payment should be £659.96
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • getmore4less
    RedMonty wrote: »
    FAULT REPORT

I'm trying to work out if I should go for an offset remortgage, & your calculator isn't helping much.

There seems to be a fault in the maths of the Offset Mortgage calculator, as well as several unclear aspects in the headings.

Data used: Mortgage £100,000, term 25yrs, interest 5% for both normal and offset, fee £0 for both, savings £20,000, savings interest 3%, Basic taxpayer, saving £200/month.

Fault: Monthly repayments in both 'normal' and 'offset' is shown as £585/month. The Offset mortgage repayment would actually be based on £100k-(£20k of offsetting savings) = 80k mortgage balance. So the monthly repayments should be a fair bit lower for the Offset mortgage.

some(most) mortgages are set up like this otherwise the term stays the same if you use the adjusted lower payment

Should be around £467 not the £585 shown.

Carrying on from this, the Offset mortgage payer should be able to put away more than £300/month into the savings account (used for offsetting) as they have lower monthly repayments than the 'normal' repayer.

Also for the offset mortgage, these monthly repayments decline through the term - as opposed to the fixed payments of the 'normal' mortgage, so every month, the offset repayer is able to put even more into the offsetting savings account.

Is this included in the maths at all?

Also re presentation of the figures - some numbers are shown in red boxes, and some are shown in blue boxes. This seems to have no link to whether they are savings or losses or anything at all.

Finally, 'Amount left in savings' - I don't understand what this means.

Hope this feedback helps to improve this tool.

RedMonty

plenty of other issues with the model
  • glennh
    glennh Posts: 16 Forumite
    I've got a first direct account and they sent me something saying how much my average balance was over the last year. I was wondering how I can have this taken into account with the calculator, anyone know?

Glenn.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • It would be great if the calculator could include the interest "lost" by not having the overpayment sum in a savings account.

ie overall saving = saving on mortgage - interest that would have been earned in a savings account

Any thoughts?
  • Hi,
    When using the mortgage calculator should it be assumed that a monthly repayment is monthly as in 12 in a year or 4 weekly?
    Thankyou
  • getmore4less
    Someone pointed at the calculator on the mortgage board so checked to see if the issues reported over a year ago had been addressed

Problems still not fixed

People using this calculator need to be very careful it can be very misleading especially, comparisons, offsetting, and ditch your fix.
  • Can anyone help me work out some calculations? I can't seem to find the right tool and I don't think this one has the right options.

Mortgage is £80,688 on 3.99% on repayment mortgage. We currently pay an addition £450 per month over payment on top of our monthly mortgage of £805. Current mortgage statement shows we have 11years 2 months left on our mortgage (we took a 25 year mortgage out in June 2007 and our overpayments have brought it down to 11 years 2 months as of today).

At current rates, overpayments etc how long will it take me to pay this mortgage off and how much will we have saved?

Thank you
  • Imma_Number
    Imma_Number Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    £80688 over 11y2m @ 3.99% would be ~£747. Paying just that the mortgage would finish in 11y2m and would cost ~£19450 in interest.

If you pay £805 pcm then the mortgage will finish in 123 months (10y & 3m) costing you ~£17620 in interest.

If you pay £1255 pcm (805+450) the mortgage will finish in 73 months (6y & 1m) costing you ~£10240 in interest.

Assuming interest rates don't change etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback