2016 - a year of change

Options

Comments

• lulabelle
    lulabelle Posts: 944 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2016 at 3:44PM
    Options
    arghhh, my legs are shot! Have had another epsom salts bath and am going to do some work on the foam roller as tomorrow I have to run for 40 mins and given I missed the mid-week training last week I can't afford to miss any more.

Spent a small fortune again shopping. Though having said that, the boy made a lamb madras shepherds pie last night which fed us then and there are about 5 portions left over. I am making lamb, butternut squash, tamarind and prune tagine tonight and that should make 6 portions so will do 2 more meals.

Same with the other things we have bought, we might be able to forgo a big shop next week.

This morning has been a morning of sorting things out, have signed my new contract and filled in all required forms, found and written a birthday card for sister in law, booked 2 restaurants which needed doing, written a letter to my neighbours about the drains and emptied dishwasher!

This pm I need to pop out and get an envelope/stamp to send my contract etc and post sister in law's card, then going to read the books the boy bought me about writing children's books whilst making notes - the boy thinks that would be best this week rather than writing itself so am going to do that.

So so nice not working - there is just no stress!
    I want to be a writer
  • lulabelle
    Options
    posted my contract/forms and the sister-in-law's card, treated self to another cd for my iPod for my running - now that's what i call the 80's. I can only run to tunes and need fresh ones every now and again so will upload that tonight. Was only £8.99 though for 3 discs so not too bad.

However, not sure I'll be able to run my 40 mins tomorrow as my back and legs are shot. Going to do some stretches/foam roller with the boy tonight.

Bought some diced butternut squash and asparagus on 2 for £3 as needed the squash for the tagine I'm making and the asparagus will do as an accompaniment to one of the other meals this week.

Started the tagine, it is now simmering away though takes 3 hours on gas! Suspect will not be making that again!

Borrowed Nigellissima from the library - the recipes look AMAZING and pretty simple. Am going to knock up a menu plan for next week using that as we both love italian food. Suspect it will be a good one to use before the marathon as we can carb up on the lovely pastas.

Not got very far with reading today but will tomorrow. Need to make sure I don't waste this 3 months!
    I want to be a writer
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Inspiring diary. Subscribing.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • lulabelle
    Options
    legs are still far too sore to run so am either going to run tonight instead of this morning or move it to tomorrow morning.

Got to get some women's things from b**ts today but will get offer/own brand as cheaper. Then we need some herbs that the supermarket didn't have for next couple of days' dinners and just noticed we are out of cereal (the boy does drive me mad not putting things he eats on the shopping list when we are close to finished!).

The tagine was a success! The boy loved it and has taken leftovers for his lunch. He has been good this morning and put the rest of the leftovers in the freezer, tidied up and emptied the dishwasher. Tonight is lemon and lavender chicken with new potatoes and asparagus.

Other than that, today will be about reading the books about writing children's books and making notes!
    I want to be a writer
  • lulabelle
    Options
    So, I didn't go to b**ts as realised I can hang on until tomorrow and lunch with a friend tomorrow so will go on way back from that.

Got herbs we needed: coriander, parsley and thyme and got some button mushrooms we need for thursday's dinner and some cereal. £6.41 but halved as boy pays half.

Chicken currently marinating so will cook it for 730.

Hoping to run tomorrow. Legs still bad but getting better but think am coming down with cold as boy has one and have had severe headache all day, feel bunged up and now sore throat. I absolutely cannot miss any more training or I will not manage the marathon and so many people have sponsored us I have to.

Not done much on the reading front - again! I really do need to motivate myself. Not quite sure why I can't.

Have motivated self to do 3 loads of laundry and clean the toilet though!
    I want to be a writer
  • lulabelle
    Options
    So, dinner was amazing! Can highly recommend Rachel Khoo's lemon and lavendar chicken! Was divine and so easy!

Yesterday I at least made a start on my reading, made some notes and it jolted quite a few ideas so jotted those down too. Will do some more today.

Met friend whose birthday I'd missed for lunch yesterday. Said I'd take her out to make up for it even though I was of course genuinely ill (missed new year and a whole week of work) and she hadn't been speaking to me. This is the same person who has said some really horrible things to me in the past and has really attacked me. But I hate conflict so always find myself trying to be the peacemaker. Anyway £30 down and all she did was talk about herself (which she seems to do every time I meet her). Because she has now split with the latest boyfriend who I told her right from the off was flaky - and guess what, he's flaked again.

Anyway, after that went to b**ts £2.90 on women's things then some milk on way home.

Boy gave me a night off from cooking and did the thai green chicken curry I had planned.

Today I am running 40 mins as much as I don't want to because it's cold and it's effort. My legs are just about recovered I think so will do some more stretches and just go for it. Still not feeling 100% cold wise but don't think it's got any worse.

Then back to b**ts as need my pill so have to pay out for that (forgot I'd run out yesterday) and going to bake a cake. Also need to transfer £15 to a friend for another friend's birthday present. It does just seem to be flying out again. I had thought this month that I would have quite a bit of surplus left over as I was away for a week which was going to be paid for by the euros I had left over from italy. And the euros did cover that and have come back with spare but have hardly anything left until the end of the month and 2 big shops to do.

The boy eats for 3 really. That tagine was meant to feed 6. I had a portion the night I cooked it and he had 2. Then he took the whole lot for lunch the next day and didn't freeze or leave me any. I think I'm going to have to take control and sort out the portions rather than letting him do it - there was 800g of lamb in there! Of course I don't want him to go hungry but I do think he is just being greedy at times!
    I want to be a writer
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Heyy, good luck with everything - at least you're keeping on track of your spending, even if it's more than you thought it would be.

Are you following a running plan?
  • lulabelle
    Options
    Thanks C.

Yes, the first time finishers plan off the LM website. I am not 100% sticking to it because of stiffness/being away last week but am making sure I get the long runs in. Have done the 40 mins today - was ok, a few niggles but did it and not out of breath but made doubly hard by the fact that my iPod decided not to work and I hate running without music!

A little bit proud of myself as I almost talked myself out of going for that reason but made myself run anyway. Means i will probably have to miss the tempo run this week as have a session with my PT in the morning - it's upper body and core only though (have told him to avoid the legs as I am really struggling with recovery) so may go after that but may just miss it this week, let the legs rest up and go for my long run sun (goal sunday is between 10-12 miles - eeek!!!). It does it by time so its an hour and 45 mins sun (30 min runs followed by 5 min brisk walks x3).

Think am going to can town today as really can't be bothered. I can go tomorrow and make cake then. Think this afternoon should be about focusing on my reading.
    I want to be a writer
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh that looks fab - I'm trying to get back into running so I'll give that a go.

I've done three 10Ks over the last year or so but fell right away from it with one thing or another so I think I'll start the improver plan from next week :)
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    Heya!

Well done on your running, sounds like you're doing really well. I think you're doing the right thing by resting when you are sore as you do have to listen to your body and you dont want to risk injury by over training. Am cheering you on every step of the way!

The food you guys are cooking sounds delish! I am so addicted to trying new recipes at the moment so I might steal some of your ideas :)

Congrats on sending the contract off!

LG x
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure