Email Spam After Submitting CV

pennypincher3562
pennypincher3562 Posts: 2,229 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 8 October 2017 at 12:38AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi

I have started receiving 'email spam' from a company based in the south of England. I have never had contact with this company, never heard of them, and certainly would never have sent them my CV.

It is obvious to me that the spam I'm being sent is based on the contents of my CV, that I submitted to two major job seeking sites in the UK.

I have spent the majority of my life in employment, and know exactly the few people I've given access to my CV.

I now have no doubt, my CV details have been sold on to a third party, and is now used for spam email. Also, my CV history can be used for identity fraud.

Where do I stand here? How do I trace who sold my CV to the email spammers. Is there a Government data protection agency I can report this to?

Thanks.

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is this an email address you only used for this CV?

Is the email spam directly related to your CV / job hunting.

If yes to both then you may get somewhere.
  • @robatwork. The email address I used is not specifically used for job hunting. However, the spam content is clearly directly related to my CV/employment history.

It bothers me as, you hand out your CV to potential employers in order to get a job - not so it can be used for spam, or potential identity fraud.
  • Have you read the terms and conditions relating to those "two major job seeking sites in the UK." you mention?

I would not be surprised at all if a company with access to a lot of data (CVs) would be passing/selling it on to other third parties.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm afraid I've had the same experience, Been looking for a new job for a few months, submitted my CV several times via the jobseeking sites, and now I'm getting all manner of complete !!!! in my inbox. It's very VERY annoying, partly because I just didn't even consider I would need to adopt a new email address to apply for professional jobs.

Now I've got a new job to go to in a few weeks time :D, but the fallout from the spam will go on and on and on ...
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Same here. I get job ' matches' everything from nurses ( I'm not qualified) to roles based in Scotland ( I live in England) to drivers, slaughter house worker, Santa's helpers! . I've had emails stating people are trying to contact me although I've never heard of them and salaries anything from min wage to in excess of 100k. So basically everything. I'm assuming my details have been passed around too. It only takes 1 website to do it then its everywhere!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    @robatwork. The email address I used is not specifically used for job hunting. However, the spam content is clearly directly related to my CV/employment history.

It bothers me as, you hand out your CV to potential employers in order to get a job - not so it can be used for spam, or potential identity fraud.

It should bother you. It bothers everyone with an email address. I am now on several databases (https://haveibeenpwned.com/)

Best bet is to use a service like gmail which filters what it estimates are important emails and "social" ones into different boxes, as well as virus and spam filtering. Their algorithm isn't perfect but not bad.

As to your chances of tracing the errant agency - given your email isn't specific it's little to none I'm afraid. The "government" in the form of the police care so little/are so under-resourced about actual financial crime when you suffer a real loss "report it to action fraud" where it will never get investigated, that nobody will give a flying fig about your being spammed.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2017 at 9:11PM
    robatwork wrote: »
    It should bother you. It bothers everyone with an email address. I am now on several databases (https://haveibeenpwned.com/)

As to your chances of tracing the errant agency - given your email isn't specific it's little to none I'm afraid. The "government" in the form of the police care so little/are so under-resourced about actual financial crime when you suffer a real loss "report it to action fraud" where it will never get investigated, that nobody will give a flying fig about your being spammed.

Whilst I sympathise with that cynicism, it's no longer true.

The City of London police have a counter fraud unit which goes all over England & Wales arresting and prosecuting those involved in such civil fraud.

But I agree there's a backlog - but still best to report any unsolicited spam calls, texts and emails as it can be phishing or downright fraud (from ID to personal injury).

You can also report the matter to the ICO or professional body if it came from a recruitment agency or accident management company, law firm etc.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ask the firms/agencies you gave cv to, where your info has been passed on.. and why.
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure