PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Comments

• Just found this thread and I am loving it. Joined for inspiration and it is lovely to read about like-minded folk. I can basic knit/crochet... so planning all the gifts I give will be home-made in 2015. I have a nice machine and made bunting for friends for Xmas. So i will see how I can use my machine more in 2015. Good luck to all and thank you for this inspiring thread :) PS. Any idea how i find out what all the figures people put at the end of their posts mean? And how do I put mine on?
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • Hi everyone I am trying so hard for my second NSD day I am finding it o so very hard though I think I have in built when I am stressed to spend money makes me feel better. Sad thing is it does work.

Cheerfullness4: how long has your hubby been working in the home? Must be very rewarding but hard work. I have 3 children 2 of which are diagnosed with autisum. Does he find Christmas makes them worse? Its just all us sen parents do.
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• Hi, I absolutely love this thread/idea- i've been trying for a while to get away- from the throwaway. I can do (very) basic knitting but can't crochet-yet...tried to teach myself a couple of times in the last year but they just ended up in a knot and a temper!

Would love to join to help me with inspiration for home made gifts for 2015.

Merry
    MFW #17
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    naturaljazz - most of people's numbers in their signature relate to different challenges such as the Grocery Challenge. To create your own signature click on Quick Links near the top of the page then click on edit signature and then you can create your own signature.

HTH

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hello All
    I'd love to join in if that's ok. I am not OS in a crafty way but I reuse, recycle & re purpose as a way of living.
    Our food waste is excellent, I don't think I've thrown a scrap away this Christmas . My biggest tip is shop little and often which goes about face to all those who recommend staying out of the shops but it works for us.
    But we are also on a tight budget due to debt repayment & a very difficult year financially so I am interested in everything to do with living a richer life for less.
    Look forward to reading everyone's posts along the way.
    Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Cheerfullness4: how long has your hubby been working in the home? Must be very rewarding but hard work. I have 3 children 2 of which are diagnosed with autisum. Does he find Christmas makes them worse? Its just all us sen parents do.

He's only been there just over a month (just been paid our 1st wage since beginning of the year. :j ) There's never a dull moment there but I've never seen him so excited about work before. A complete departure from what he has always done.

We have autism in our family, too. Life is eventful, isn't it!

I got my apron done. Whoopee!
    Here it is ....

0a31a79d-e7cc-4d1d-bea2-0331e397de19.jpg

That only took me all day! I guess it was a learning curve. Sewing three rectangles on various sizes together while edging with bias binding is way more difficult than it looks when you don't know what you're doing. :p

What a satisfying feeling I have tonight. I've done a job I planned, actually done. :T I'll even know how to do another apron with all the improvements I've planned in my head.

I've also been eyeing up those lovely vintage patterns, Suzie. Wouldn't it be incredible to wear something really original.

I've been prodding my wool stack, too. That's going to be dealt with over these chilly months. I'm totally excited that BBC1 is going to show another 15 new episodes of Father Brown detective drama. We LOVE that. Such gentle viewing. Perfect for a sewing and knitting hour.

Njazz- I'm really looking forward to making some bunting for my bathroom. Its the first time in a few years we've had our own home to decorate as we wish. I'm going to go mad and have fun with this. :D

Tonight I must make a plan for meals for the next week. I don't want to spend much money so I'll have to plan around stocks already here.
    If I'm to stick to my budget of £3 a day plus floats for non-foods and extras then I'd better get organised. It went swimmingly when we practiced in October but I was well prepared that time.

If anyone is interested this is a fantastic link to a ladies blog detailing her £1 a day challenge that inspired me. Not for everyone but just noticing her thinking on spending was really useful to me.
    I wonder if she posts on here.

http://365days365pounds.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-aim-for-this-year.html

I guess I should wash up my bowl now I've finished my cauli cheese. Maybe a little read up first. Perhaps I'll find a few ideas for my meal plan that I'll make over a coffee soon.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Lovely apron. Well done you!

That blog is great too.

I try to work off around £4 to £6 a day when I do the GC budget. I find I'm able to up it eventually as all the NSDS balance it. Like today I only spent 30p on a 1kg bag of carrots marked down from 60p & 30p on a lemon. But we had enough in so I didn't need to spend. I think I can get through tommorow on only an additional £1.50 for a block of cheese as I already have lunch and dinner planned. Then Wednesday I will need to shop again.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella - What is Roadkill 80 in your siggy? Not come across that before.

skintmum - forgot you asked if Christmas time made things harder for the residents. DH was told that as soon as the decs go up so does the difficult behaviour. It over stimulates them they think.
    I'm wondering what will happen when the decs come down. :(
  • :T Great thread, I want to become more OS during 2015, I have plenty of time but not enough money , so no excuse. I have had a sewing machine for 5 years and still can't use it ! I will subscribe, watch with interest and hopefully join in :) Good luck everyone.
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • SuzieTheCat
    SuzieTheCat Posts: 1,766
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2014 at 9:38PM
    What a lovely apron! I really like the pattern! Earlier today I raided my pile of craft stuff in the spare bedroom and rescued a sorry looking latch hook kit I abandoned about 2 years ago. I've been having fun with it, although I am not really sure what I am going to actually do with it when it is done! I might turn it into a big fluffy cushion, I think it might be a bit too small for an actual rug. As you can see my kitty cat Suzie likes it too!

Not completely make do and mend, I did pay £45 quid for this kit two years ago :eek:. But it is keeping me busy and not costing any further money! :)

10891441_10205610627005377_5173642797150427769_n_zps6f94bc8e.jpg

Oh just spotted the knitted squares from the other day that has not yet got a home a part from the table, oops! :rotfl:
    Wins of 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport