Top Cashback Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• verloren
    verloren Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just tried applying for the Halifax deal, and it appears it's over. They do have one that offers 2% on food and fuel, and 0.5% on everything else. Depending on what you spend on those things that might be worth it.
  • yinhong
    yinhong Posts: 137 Forumite
    I'm a bit confused with all this minimum-spend-to-get-cashback thing.

Do I need to spend more than £2400 over the course of the year to get 5% cashback on my purchases in the first 3 months? e.g will I get 5% cashback on all my purchases in the first 3 months (that totals e.g. £500) even if I don't use the card at all after the first 3 months?

And if anybody knows the quick answer: when do they pay you the cashback?

Is it yearly/monthly/quarterly/instantly? If it's yearly, what would happen if I cancelled the card before I had it for 1 year?

Quidco

Also, Quidco's American Express page states that you would get "£33.75 cashback for each successful application of the Platinum credit card".

Does anybody know whether this is the Amex platinum credit cashback card that we're all talking about? If it is, would it be bad for my credit rating if I just signed up for the card, get the quidco cashback and the 5% cashback, and then cancel it in the fourth month (for whatever reason)?
  • Llyllyll
    Llyllyll Posts: 870 Forumite
    yinhong wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused with all this minimum-spend-to-get-cashback thing.

Do I need to spend more than £2400 over the course of the year to get 5% cashback on my purchases in the first 3 months? e.g will I get 5% cashback on all my purchases in the first 3 months (that totals e.g. £500) even if I don't use the card at all after the first 3 months?

You just need to generate £12 or more in cashback (over the year) to actually get that cashback paid to you. How you do that depends on how much you spend under each different cashback tier.
    And if anybody knows the quick answer: when do they pay you the cashback?

Is it yearly/monthly/quarterly/instantly? If it's yearly, what would happen if I cancelled the card before I had it for 1 year?

It's paid annually. Mine was in January this year but I'm not sure if that's because it was tha new year of the anniverary of starting the account (as they're both the same for me).
    Quidco

Also, Quidco's American Express page states that you would get "£33.75 cashback for each successful application of the Platinum credit card".

Does anybody know whether this is the Amex platinum credit cashback card that we're all talking about? If it is, would it be bad for my credit rating if I just signed up for the card, get the quidco cashback and the 5% cashback, and then cancel it in the fourth month (for whatever reason)?

Yes it is the Amex platinum credit cashback card. Don't see a problem with your suggestions but am not sure if it would be bad for your credit rating. Personally I wouldn't think so but what do I know...
  • zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    I was told if you cancel the card before the anniversary date you forfeit the cashback. If you don't intend to use it after the first 3 months then stick it in a drawer and wait until the anniversary, get tha cashback and then cancel it
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • I have been offered both an egg cashback card and an A&L cashback card. I don't need both and I wondered if anyone knew of any advantage one had over the other so I can cancel one? A&L seem to offer goods and services as well as cash - I am only interested in cash and it isn't clear what % that might be and they talk in terms of 'points'.
    Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Hi I would just like to say that in the T&C for the Egg Money card it states you must earn £5 cashback within a year to get it paid to your account. Any less is NOT carried over to the next year so if you earn less than £5 you will not get it and your cashback tally will reset to £0 at the end of the year. I cannot remember but I also think the year starts in March and ends in February.

To make this card worthwhile you need to spend £500 per year.
  • Does anyone know for certain that the £20 cashback payments offered by TopCashBack or WePromiseTo only apply to applications for the Egg Card, and don't include the Egg Money Card?

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of applying for an Egg Money Card (1% cashback on all purchases, but possibly no cashback through TopCashBack, WePromiseTo for applying) and the Halifax Cashback Credit Card (2% cashback on groceries and fuel, 0.5% on all other purchases, and a definite (providing it tracks and pays out) £20 cashback payment through TopCashBack or WePromiseTo, which equates to a £2000 spend at 1% cashback).

Any feedback from Egg Money Card applicants who've applied for the card via cashback sites would be most appreciated.
  • I note in the Terms & Conditions that the inital 6% and following 3% discount on Shell fuel only applies if the price is above £1/litre - so useless now!
  • hi whats the best cashback card at moment ?
  • Hi Guys

Just a quick one to say that I took out the AMEX 5% cash back card this time last year, put all my Christmas shopping on it and have used it where ever possible for the past year (i.e. supermarket shopping or other places I would have otherwise used a debit card) and have paid it off every month.

This week I have just had £160 credited to my account. WOO HOO!

I appreciate the terms may have changed a little this year and I haven't attempted to cancel the card and then take out a new one (I would assume you would no longer count as a new customer if they've got a year's record of your credit history with them), but it has definitely been worth it for me.

I hope this allays some of your fears.

Ellie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family