PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any curry experts?

Hi guys

Any curry experts here? :)

I am going to be making this base gravy for curries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap4UvNoVsXY

He is saying to use 2 tablespoons fresh blended garlic/ginger, that seems an awful lot. How many cloves of garlic and how much ginger do you think i should use?

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    2 tablespoons doesn't seem a lot to me with that volume of sauce. I'd just blend the garlic and ginger until you have 2 tablespoons full, or buy the jars of ready-made paste, either separate or combined. OH uses the Nishaan ones.

I have never seen curries made like this before though! I will have to ask the OH about it. Is it a take-away thing?
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, I am not very good with measurements, I thought it was loads, but obviously not :) Yes, its for a takeaway recipe, my wife loves korma from takeaway, so going to try and make it myself. Been told this guys videos are really good to follow. Only one way to find out :)
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you can find a copy of The Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon, that has a similar recipe for a curry base and how to turn it into the various restaurant style curries.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It sounds disgusting.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 May 2015 at 11:31AM
    i havent tried it myself but theres a really good "how to" on memory girls blog. Its from a friend of hers and theres also recipes further on of how to turn it into other curries.

http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/05/curry-in-a-hurry/

even if you use the recipe from youtube it may help to compare amounts as in your original question.
  • Shereen
    Shereen Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm no curry expert, instead I rely on the recipes on this site: http://www.mamtaskitchen.com. If Mamta taught me nothing else, she taught me I wasn't using nearly enough spices in my curries. So your tablespoons of ginger and garlic sound a bit light to me :)
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    It sounds disgusting.

Lol, its just a base gravy for curries, its not an actual curry recipe :)
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    there used to be an indexed thread on here that had a curry base and lots of recipes using it - the base looked gross but made amazing curries - I can't find the inexed thread now though - im sure it is similar to yours though
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    judi24 wrote: »
    there used to be an indexed thread on here that had a curry base and lots of recipes using it - the base looked gross but made amazing curries - I can't find the inexed thread now though - im sure it is similar to yours though

Might this be the one?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=456767&postcount=38
  • McpPsl
    McpPsl Posts: 206 Forumite
    Could it be this one by Curry Queen?

hth

You beat me to it Nuatha!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories