What Has Happened To Youtube In Windows 7?

Oblivion
Oblivion Posts: 20,248
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Windows 7

I revisited my bookmarked music collection in Youtube after an absence of several weeks. It has all changed. Music videos that used to play in HD are now only playing at 360p with no option to increase definition.

Is this something Youtube have done or is this Microsoft meddling again?
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bring me sunshine in your smile

Comments

• I've just looked at a few music videos using IE11 and W7 and was able to change the resolution to 720p HD.

Have you tried a different browser?
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6322658?visit_id=0-636117153098356548-4266262849&p=missing_quality&rd=1
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just looked at a few music videos using IE11 and W7 and was able to change the resolution to 720p HD.

Have you tried a different browser?
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6322658?visit_id=0-636117153098356548-4266262849&p=missing_quality&rd=1

I did see that link and it would seem that Youtube have abandoned high def in IE in Windows 7 ... an appalling decision considering Win7 is supposedly being maintained until 2020.

I wonder how much Microsoft paid them.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    It'll be because Microsoft don't develop new browsers for their older systems.

Firefox works fine, many other browsers work fine.

The other issue is your ISP, a lot of ISPs connect you to Youtubes caching servers rather than a direct connection. These servers are designed for network administrators to reduce bandwidth usage in companies that don't block Youtube. ISPs shouldn't really be redirecting to them, but they do and Youtube automatically limits video quality to low bandwidth connections.

I have those caching servers blocked in my router settings, forcing a direct connection and if my ISP is still throttling me, then I turn on my VPN and encrypt my data so they can't tell what i'm using my bandwidth for.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oblivion, don't blame YouTube or Microsoft. Get off IE. I'm surprised it's happened, if indeed you're on the latest version of IE, but in Win7 at least, there are definitely better browsers.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    It'll be because Microsoft don't develop new browsers for their older systems.

Firefox works fine, many other browsers work fine.

The other issue is your ISP, a lot of ISPs connect you to Youtubes caching servers rather than a direct connection. These servers are designed for network administrators to reduce bandwidth usage in companies that don't block Youtube. ISPs shouldn't really be redirecting to them, but they do and Youtube automatically limits video quality to low bandwidth connections.

I have those caching servers blocked in my router settings, forcing a direct connection and if my ISP is still throttling me, then I turn on my VPN and encrypt my data so they can't tell what i'm using my bandwidth for.

^^ This - excellent post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport