IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Fine For Leaving Site

I have just been issued with a parking fine stuck to my windscreen for leaving the site. I was parked at a shopping complex entered a store where I looked around for 20 minutes then I went to a neighbouring shop off of the complex then went back to the first store made a purchase for which I have the receipt then went back to my car where I found the penalty notice stuck to my windscreen. I have read the newbies guide but I wondered if someone can help answer a few questions.

I understand that I should wait for the Notice To Keeper. If I wanted to look at the evidence photos in the meantime. Will they know that I have accessed the photos before receiving the NTK so is it advisable not to?

If they have photo evidence of me leaving the site do I still have grounds for appeal regarding the unfair amount of the fine being £100?

The notice says that if I appeal within 14 days and the appeal is unsuccessful I will pay the reduced fine of £60. Should I appeal within 14 days whether I receive a NTK or not. I just don't want to pay £100 if appeal is unsuccessful.

What do you think my chances are of a successful appeal?

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,031 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you had read the forum you would know this is not a fine, you would also know that this is a money making scam that these muppets try on all the time.

This type of scam is an uphill struggle for them, I assume as you left site you didn't know it was against the rules, so the signage wasn't up to much either.

If UKPC have photos of you leaving site which I doubt, then why did their dozy attendant waste time photographing you instead of advising you that you were breaking their rules.

If you haven't guest there's no bonus for him in that.

The so called discount is a bribe to get you to cough up with as little cost and effort for them.
    This loathsome company are also well known for doctoring evidence.

Your appeal will not be successful that is 99% certainty but you should win on other reasons with POPLA, even if you don't this idiots would be unlikely to try this scam in court.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2016 at 1:54PM
    I understand that I should wait for the Notice To Keeper.
    No, the NEWBIES thread advises appealing as keeper around day 26 after the PCN, online. That's a deliberate delay to try to time them out from even remembering to serve any NTK.
    If I wanted to look at the evidence photos in the meantime. Will they know that I have accessed the photos before receiving the NTK so is it advisable not to?
    You can certainly look at the UKPC photos, I always do as early as possible. Makes no difference and the unclear signs will look nice and blurry in their site photo, so take a screenshot ready for your POPLA appeal section on 'unclear signs'. UKPC photos really help illustrate your point!
    If they have photo evidence of me leaving the site do I still have grounds for appeal
    They will not have this, they never have evidence of 'leaving the site' and nor do they have access to CCTV.
    Pretty high at POPLA as they will not be able to show the contravention occurred, and that will be your first appeal point at that stage, plus 4 or 5 other standard ones shown in 'POPLA Decisions' (top thread) penultimate page right now.

Do not worry about the 14 days, it means nothing, If we thought you should rush to appeal or have an eye on the bribe, the NEWBIES thread would say so. It doesn't! So diarise day 26 and use the template in the NEWBIES thread then, choosing 'registered keeper' on UKPC's drop-down menu (as long as you are the car's keeper on the V5).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MagicDamo wrote: »

To UKPC, your appeal chances are essentially nil, because they aren't interested in your appeal, just your cash. It's just a big deal, just be prepared for it.

To POPLA, your appeal chances are pretty high, because they (usually) base it on the legalities.
  • Thank you for all the responses it's much appreciated, I have just checked the photo evidence. On the photo of the sign, the only condition that can be clearly read on entrance to the car park and from my car is that there is a 2 hour maximum stay, the much smaller writing is blurred so cannot be read from the photo but I didn't think to check the small writing when I parked there I would have had to have gone right up the sign to have been able to read it, there was nothing visible from my car which stated that I couldn't leave the site. There are no pictures of me off site or leaving the site, therefore there is no evidence that this occurred. There is no evidence that I was the driver either so as far as I am concerned I am just the registered keeper in this matter. I will go through the motions as explained in the very useful guides.
  • I would suggest a modification of the original post changing ""I"" to the car etc. remove identification where possible, they trawl this site.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    have you been back to the shop to complain ?

threaten to take back what you bought as it is now to expensive ....

do not speak to customer services ... only the manager .... if he/she will not help try head office / CEO

do this while following the good advice above ...

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The_Deep wrote: »

Don't know what that link is all about TD? Argos and something about 'glasses'?

If it was the ibbotson link you were looking for, here it is.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231)

Do read this OP - it will give you a good understanding about 'leaving the site' issues and how difficult it would be for a PPC to pursue this to court. AFAIAA no PPC has tried a similar court case ever since.

For TD, this link might help you:

https://en.specsavers.es/stores/calpe

:)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sea Creature's thread shows a nice long POPLA appeal and my suggested additional point #1(a) and (b) for a 'leaving the site' allegation:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5509170

That example is a case where UKPC did remember to serve NTK. So don't copy it verbatim at POPLA stage unless that also happens to you.

If you find you do NOT get one that's even better and will give you a much better shot at the 'no keeper liability' argument (template for a NKL point for POPLA where no NTK was ever served is in POPLA Decisions, posted by me in September).

Anyway for now, play it as per the NEWBIES thread. No rush, no meaning to the 14 day bribe.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks very much for the further advice and the links to the similar cases. It's frustrating having to spend the time on this but it will be satisfying once I have a successful appeal.

If I don't receive a NTK do I then just do nothing, as this would potentially mean that I haven't been informed as the registered keeper of the vehicle and I would be non the wiser about the parking ticket?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure