PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling Right to buy home

Comments

• If 'the system' allows a person to do something unethical easily and legally, are they off the hook for the unethical action? Difficult one.

The Fact the OP has payed rent for 21 yrs isn't relevant then..council has not had a good wedge of cash from that tenant then.

And lets be honest..who"s to really blame the OP or the council who just want to make some quick easy cash,if anyone is to blame its the council.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bri70123 wrote: »
    i didnt come here for sympathy

I paid full rent for 21 years and this was the only way i could get on the property ladder at the time, Mortgage was half the rent, so, honestly what would you have done?

Do you expect a reward for paying rent? Do the rest of us get a bonus for paying private rent, or how about the people that are homeless or unable to leave abusive relationships because people are buying up social housing that might otherwise have gone to someone in genuine need?

Yes, government policy is at issue here, but you take the choice to take advantage and deprive someone else. Please think about that next time you hear about the ever increasing rates of homeless and domestic abuse, and how your own actions affect those people.
  • Do you expect a reward for paying rent? Do the rest of us get a bonus for paying private rent, or how about the people that are homeless or unable to leave abusive relationships because people are buying up social housing that might otherwise have gone to someone in genuine need?

Yes, government policy is at issue here, but you take the choice to take advantage and deprive someone else. Please think about that next time you hear about the ever increasing rates of homeless and domestic abuse, and how your own actions affect those people.

So what would you have done..the OP asks a valid question.

Mortgage was half the price of the rent...would you have carried on renting despite it being more expensive,hardly very MSE is it...lol

Selling back to the council,surely that means it will go back to just the people you mentioned...or ofcourse it could get snapped up by someone who has been in the UK for a matter of a few weeks,please dont say that doesn't happen as it has two doors down from me.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My current place is ex council and market value is same as any other house of the same era.

Always understood that ex council houses were good investment due to being solid builds (probably due to the time they were being built in) as opposed to the new thrown together houses which are poorly built and really small but with hefty price tag.

I've watched a single chippy erect a second storey in a house on his own in a morning on a persimmon site (I was the forkie supplying the panels)...so id say the ex local authority houses would be a much safer investment.

It depends on the area. The first one below is not an ex council house the second one is.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60179608.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63185428.html This is

This is the kind of thing I mean.

And this ex council house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67725209.html
    and this non ex council house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63120418.html

You can see the difference in price.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Discussion on the rights and wrongs of selling off council homes would be better placed in the Arms discussion board.

Here OP is entitled for his question on when and how to deal with the council to be heard.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    sevenhills wrote: »
    our Government seem unable to build more social housing?

It does, Maggie Thatcher just convinced everyone to jump on the bandwagon/ladder and got Barratt/Taylor Wimpey to start building them.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • The Fact the OP has payed rent for 21 yrs isn't relevant then..

No, why would it be?
  • Mortgage was half the price of the rent...would you have carried on renting despite it being more expensive,hardly very MSE is it...lol

I would have, council housing is the most secure way to live. I don't earn enough that I would have sacrificed that security for short term profit.

That's another issue with RTB, it encourages people to make bad decisions because they see £££s and don't consider the value of what they already have.
  • we never did it to make a profit, but now there are 4 of us living in a 2 bedroom house one son 22 year old and one 9 sharing a room, thats the only reason we want to move...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bri70123 wrote: »
    we never did it to make a profit, but now there are 4 of us living in a 2 bedroom house one son 22 year old and one 9 sharing a room, thats the only reason we want to move...

Don't understand this as they always (I assume) shared a room.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure