My "Out of the Rat Race" adventure.

As of yesterday I am totally Debt Free :j I also have a slight red wine head to show for it. There are some amazing people around these forums and my journey to debt freeness was made easier by reading inspirational diaries and also having the support of those who posted on my own DFD. So I have come to the conclusion that I need to stick around :cool:

The aim of this diary is to focus my intentions of my (and Mr Light's) journey to Financial Independence within the next 5 years which includes paying off the mortgage and leaving our jobs for a frugal but free life at ages 49 (me) and 57 (Mr Light)

The following posts will include strategies, musings, ramblings and whatever pops into my head:D
"These things take time but I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped"
Save £12K in 2016 #150 £12858.59/£14200.00

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome - there are quite a few diaries here focused on FI/ER and not just paying down the mortgage :)
  • One of my main key figures that I will be referring to throughout my diary is my % towards financial independence (%FI).

This is my "eye on the prize" figure which will be at the point when we have accumulated enough money to generate ample income for the rest of our lives. I have calculated a range of variables including Mr Light's pension pot when he is 55 and also my yearly increment increases but it will still be a mammoth task.

I need to save a minimum of 52% of our take home income for the next 5 years:eek:

Since January I have been joining in with the Save 12K in 2016 and I currently have a small pot of money in a S&S isa from previous tax years.

Current position stands at 9% to FI 58% to Yearly Target.
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Good luck Light, and welcome to the MFW forum :)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• April, for me is a month of total abstention from paying others to prepare and serve me food. I do this on a regular basis, far too much. Pub lunches, beautiful local Thai restaurant, Thursday night Indian special............drooollllllllll.

To remind me of how utterly extravagant the whole concept of this is I am going to describe any meals out as "'Staff bringing me food" because until I am totally FI then I simply cannot afford to do this ..........yet:D

February and March I totally stopped paying staff to prepare my lunches in the work canteen. This has had responses from my colleagues ranging from mild surprise to utter disbelief that I could somehow manage, every day to prepare my own food and bring it to work for 4 whole days in a row! I must be some sort of uber organised Super Woman.:rotfl:

Since January I stopped ringing people up to bring me food, I didn't find it too difficult to go without this as takeaways are some of the unhealthiness food on the planet. 2lbs of cheese pizza ........yuk.

My main addiction is the walking into a lovely restaurant with crisp white tablecloths, perusing the wine list and choosing a cheeky little glass of Merlot before gazing at length at the tempting menu. I absolutely LOVE IT. I do not love it more than the thought of not driving a 30 miles round trip to a job that no longer inspires me however.

2 days in and I have managed to cook all my own meals and Mr Lights..........check me out!
  • Well done. I hope you enjoy the journey. When tempted with restaurants, I always think, is this worth another day at work? It usually isn't.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have to admit to being a sucker for both restaurants and takeaway. In my case, it's because of a young baby, not enough hours in the day! :o
  • Good luck will be following with interest :)
  • Since January I stopped ringing people up to bring me food, I didn't find it too difficult to go without this as takeaways are some of the unhealthiness food on the planet. 2lbs of cheese pizza ........yuk.

2 days in and I have managed to cook all my own meals and Mr Lights..........check me out!

I love the way you phrased it, that you cant afford staff :rotfl:I will have to remember that one, I cant afford staff either :rotfl:

I wish I had your thoughts about cheese, my love of cheese (in all its forms) is not good for my bank balance or my waistline! Good Luck with your journey, I will be following :)
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good luck on your new adventure, I would love to do the same myself - maybe not 50 for me as that's getting awfully close :D
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• I love the way you phrased it, that you cant afford staff :rotfl:I will have to remember that one, I cant afford staff either :rotfl:

I wish I had your thoughts about cheese, my love of cheese (in all its forms) is not good for my bank balance or my waistline! Good Luck with your journey, I will be following :)

I am also a lover of cheese, however I find the amount that they put on takeaway pizzas just crazy. Don't let me near a melted Brie with a hunk of French bread though......droolarama!

Thanks for reading and posting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport